BOTH How many marks per section did you make and how did your score turn out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Please_Stand_By

Vault Doc
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
And also what was your criteria for marking a question?

Members don't see this ad.

And also what was your criteria for marking a question?

I marked more than half of the questions on my first 2-3 blocks, then probably marked ~15 on each of the last 4-5 blocks. Criteria being anything I wasn't 100% sure of or anything that I answered without reading the entire question/labs. Strategy for the latter was that I didn't want to waste time reading anything unnecessary if I felt I already knew the answer. So I marked it and came back at the end to read all the info and make sure I didn't want to change my answer. An example of such a question would be "38 y/o AA F w non-productive cough, sob..." I'd look for sarcoidosis in the answers and if it was there I would pick it, mark the question, and move on.

>265

Reactions: 1 user
I marked more than half of the questions on my first 2-3 blocks, then probably marked ~15 on each of the last 4-5 blocks. Criteria being anything I wasn't 100% sure of or anything that I answered without reading the entire question/labs. Strategy for the latter was that I didn't want to waste time reading anything unnecessary if I felt I already knew the answer. So I marked it and came back at the end to read all the info and make sure I didn't want to change my answer. An example of such a question would be "38 y/o AA F w non-productive cough, sob..." I'd look for sarcoidosis in the answers and if it was there I would pick it, mark the question, and move on.

>265

What does "AA" mean when you said "38 y/o AA F w non-productive cough, sob..."

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a silly question to ask because everyone has a different threshold for marking questions. I think it is more important to compare how many you mark on the real thing to how many you were marking on NBMEs. I would mark about 10-15 questions per section on both, and my real score was comparable to my NBMEs.

Actual score- very good.

>265

I also marked everything I wasnt 95-100% on which ment that I marked a lot on my exam (30-40%). Much more than on the NBMEs.

Score >255

I also marked more than my nbme/cbse...I was at about 20% marks on those compared to 25% for the real thing. I've found that I usually miss half the number of q I mark, as I'll get some of those right and also miss some I didn't mark. I felt there was a higher number of very difficult questions as well as questions where there wasn't any one great answer that I knew for sure was right. No score back yet but I was ~240s on cbse and I got over 250 on one of the nbmes.

Marked around 15-20 per section. Was visibly nervous throughout b/c no one told me I'd be marking like 1/2 the questions. Left almost every block thinking I had messed up past my slim margin of error. Ended up with a 252.

Marked on average 12 questions per section. 15 at most in one section and 8 at minimum in one section. Ended up with a 240.

recently took my step 4 days ago, and i am freaking out. I know i missed already like 25 questions from what i can remember from the 50/50 questions i had. I marked around max 50. and i usually dont mark the questions that were impossible to even answer. prob about 10 of those. Anyone else know theve missed around that much? i feel like thats way too much to have certainly known youve missed, to achieve even a descent grade. anyone have any thoughts?, im freaking out! cant sleep

recently took my step 4 days ago, and i am freaking out. I know i missed already like 25 questions from what i can remember from the 50/50 questions i had. I marked around max 50. and i usually dont mark the questions that were impossible to even answer. prob about 10 of those. Anyone else know theve missed around that much? i feel like thats way too much to have certainly known youve missed, to achieve even a descent grade. anyone have any thoughts?, im freaking out! cant sleep

Don't worry man. I walked out feeling like crap and most people do. I know I missed at least 20%-30% of the entire test and I got a 255. For the vast majority your practice tests are pretty spot on.

thanks brotha, i didnt really take any practice test, i just did 50 percent of u world and had around 75 percent right on there.

Is it just me or the mean score of step 1 has really gone up to 250-260?!

Mean score on my report was 230. The average is going up nationwide, but remember that the SDN community generally hosts people who report scores that are much higher than average and this skews the perceived Step average a lot.

First 3 blocks: Marked 6-8q per block. Thereafter, it was like 2-4. Didn't mark any in last 2. Score: 265+
I didn't mark many while doing practice test as well (only about 2 or 3 per block at most). I guess I was being more conscious in the earlier blocks in the real exam.

I marked <10 total, scores in the 240's. I just never really mark questions very often. I know it or I don't. If I don't, I rule out what I can then guess and don't think about it again.

I marked half the test - yes really... I thought I failed it coming out of the testing center and no, I'm not your typical neurotic over-reacting guy
I think it's important to take into account that 10% of the questions are experimental and will not count for or against you
I really believe that most of my wrong answers were experimental because I still cannot believe how I scored on the real deal compared to how I felt I scored
final score = 240