How many interviews to go on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesterfreamon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is hard to say, but whats a safe number of interviews to go on, in your opinion.

I applied to 14 TYs and 10 prelims, so far have gotten 3 TY and 2 prelim interviews.

Definitely can't go to them all, and was just hoping for some guidance of when it might be safe to stop since it will cost so much money!!

Members don't see this ad.

None of us can really answer that definitively. What specialty are you going into? How competitive of an applicant are you? Are you geographically limiting yourself to salt water cities?

What I can say is that TY years in general are extremely competitive since all the competitive subspecialty applicants need them.

Go to as many as you can. Depending on your specialty and competitiveness you may need to apply more. You should have discussed this with your mentor/advisor last month.

I think 24 intern year programs sounds like a good number, so I wouldn't add more.

Assuming you have some sort of "comfortability" with one or two programs (I assume at least one is probably affiliated with your home institution in some way, which usually gives you an edge), the magic number for matching in any speciality is usually 8-12 interviews. And while the TY programs are very competitive, the preliminary medicine programs tend to be not quite as bad.

I applied to a similar # of prelim and TY programs and I'm aiming to go on about 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 24 intern year programs sounds like a good number, so I wouldn't add more.

Assuming you have some sort of "comfortability" with one or two programs (I assume at least one is probably affiliated with your home institution in some way, which usually gives you an edge), the magic number for matching in any speciality is usually 8-12 interviews. And while the TY programs are very competitive, the preliminary medicine programs tend to be not quite as bad.

I applied to a similar # of prelim and TY programs and I'm aiming to go on about 10.
I'm the same

are you scheduling them as you get them and will cancel for other more desirable ones if you get more than 10/scheduling conflicts?

I'm the same

are you scheduling them as you get them and will cancel for other more desirable ones if you get more than 10/scheduling conflicts?

I was planning on scheduling them all..and once I determined I had enough interviews to start cancelling would take the "bottom" desired programs and just politely send an email that I won't be able to attend.