how many interviews are feasible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treesap

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious how many interviews you guys are scheduling this year? Do you have a pre-ordained cap? Someone on SDN a while ago said 8 was his physical and psychological limit, but the jury was out.

I know it depends on how many you receive and location, but anyone else trying to schedule a coast-to-coast interview spree? Its going to be costly, but I figure its pennies compared to what I've already spent.

What about back-to-back interviews in close locations, doable?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think about how competitive the field you are applying is and check out the match statistics for it (I think you can find it on the aamc site or somewhere). The worst combo I did last year was a florida interview on friday with a california interview on sunday (had to leave the florida interview at about noon). It was worth it to me because you can't match at a program you don't interview at, and I didn't want to limit my options since I wasn't the most competitive candidate. Now, if you are a great candidate in a noncompetitive field with tons of offers then you can decide how many to dump. I don't think you need to go in with a preset cap though.

Some schools interview on weekends?

Yup - several ob programs have Saturday dates.

I'm getting the idea that for internal medicine, most people do ~10 or less, and some people do 15. I'm thinking about trying to schedule by geographic area for 1 week, and will hopefully be able to fly in and rent a car. I found unlimited mileage rental cars in the Boston area in January for $33 daily, and cheaper prices for sooner dates.

It also seems like having anything more than 2 interviews back to back could begin to blur programs a bit in my mind. I totally agree about this being pennies compared to med school debt; just got a fat-a*s MEDEX check in the mail!

At this point, I'm considering maybe 15 interviews, but will schedule some that I'm less sure about for later in January so that I can cancel them if I'm burned out- just my personal rationale, there are probably many right ways.