How many intern year (prelim IM/TY) programs to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RealHumanBean1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told I'm a reasonably strong candidate with a solid Step 1 and all honors on clerkships, no red flags, moderate research and ECs but little community service.

Basically, I just have no idea how many intern year programs to apply to. There are 234 programs within 30 minutes of the cities housing programs I'm applying to. How the heck do I narrow that down to those that I'm most likely to get an interview and match at?!?

Appreciate your time and advice, in advance. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to 30 (15 prelims and 15 TYs) got interviews to about 20, attended about 10 (which was overkill imo). I’d just pick programs in places that you wouldn’t mind living in for a year. At first I agonized over my choices and tried to get the prelim and rads programs to line up. After I started interviewing, I figured out what I wanted (a mix of medicine and surgical sub-speciality options). I ended up ranking a TY number 1 in an area where I didn’t have a rads program I liked nearby. I matched there and I’m happy with my choice. Some of the program websites are helpful and will provide you with a typical rotation schedule. Some will not (which is telling imo).

I think, if I recall, what I did is apply to about 30 ish at the same places where I applied to Rad. This way, I was able to combine my interviews. I applied to only one or two programs that didn't have a radiology program. I think I applied to a couple of TYs. Got 1 TY interview to which I didn't go. I interviewed at about 14 places or so, all but one were dual interviews Rad/IM. It saved time and money.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’ll be interesting to see how the number of categorical and prelim applications per applicant changes this year with things going virtual. I’m guessing the number of applications per spot will go up significantly across the board. In a typical interview season, travel expenses, time, and interview fatigue are the limiting factor. Without the need to travel, applicants will be able to apply and potentially interview at more programs. Of course the cost of ERAS will be higher, but that’s negligble, especially with money saved not traveling.

If this does bear out, programs/PDs will have to figure out how to handle this surge. This might mean increasing interview numbers, or it could mean being more selective with interview invites to keep the number of interviews steady. It’ll be fascinating to see all the way all this plays out.

Though this virtual system will have some benefits, I think the drawbacks and unintended consequences will be significant. Lots of great programs out there that applicants will be unable to get a feel for virtually. N=1, but my residency outcome would’ve been completely different without the opportunity see a program in the flesh.

Depends on how competitive the programs are obviously. If you interview at a malignant medicine prelim that never fills one interview is probably enough.

I interviewed at only the most desirable and cushy TY programs and think I went on like 9 interviews. I actually matched at my very last choice! Glad I went on that interview!

If you are going for a chill year the competition is intense.

Depends on how competitive the programs are obviously. If you interview at a malignant medicine prelim that never fills one interview is probably enough.

I interviewed at only the most desirable and cushy TY programs and think I went on like 9 interviews. I actually matched at my very last choice! Glad I went on that interview!

If you are going for a chill year the competition is intense.
How do you find out what programs are desirable for TY?

I think the best way is to reach out to people from your med school who wound up at various TYs to ask them about their experience. The info is hard to find online and notoriously inaccurate because it's either a) out of date or b) the result of misinformation spread by those who have ulterior motives and want to make certain programs appear less desirable

Reactions: 1 user
I think the best way is to reach out to people from your med school who wound up at various TYs to ask them about their experience. The info is hard to find online and notoriously inaccurate because it's either a) out of date or b) the result of misinformation spread by those who have ulterior motives and want to make certain programs appear less desirable
I’m In the first graduating class of my Med school unfortunately haha

I’m at a Cush TY. 90% of the coresidents are AOA and have 260+ steps. The last few knew the PD personally.
I went a few down my list but my program is AMAZING!
It’s worth sending out a lot of apps

Current prelim here at a major academic hospital. Kinda regret applying only prelim and very few TYs. I have back to back night float+floors and floors for eight weeks straight.

I’m at a Cush TY. 90% of the coresidents are AOA and have 260+ steps. The last few knew the PD personally.
I went a few down my list but my program is AMAZING!
It’s worth sending out a lot of apps
Can you provide a rough/vague breakdown of your monthly rotations? I'm curious how many electives a truly cush TY has. I know there are mandatory minimums for ICU and floor months. What else besides number of electives can make it chill or not when evaluating a TY?

Reactions: 3 users
Can you provide a rough/vague breakdown of your monthly rotations? I'm curious how many electives a truly cush TY has. I know there are mandatory minimums for ICU and floor months. What else besides number of electives can make it chill or not when evaluating a TY?
5+ electives is ideal. 2 electives/year is average for any intern year. Avoid university hospitals. Patient cap on floors and on icu is good to know of. Ask if the interns do admissions or not at the hospital. Many other factors to consider too but those are some good ones I can think of for now

Reactions: 2 users
I also did a cush TY last year. I'm at my #1 radiology, but got my #4 TY spot. A key for people interested in a cush TY is to look at the Midwest: the region has some of the best (read: easiest) TYs, and it's slightly less competitive than the coasts. Regardless, it's still very competitive as you're up against the top applicants from radiology, derm, rad onc, ophtho, PM&R, anesthesia.

Is it worth it to do a cush TY? 1000% Yes. My work hours averaged out over the year between electives and inpatient were in the mid 40s. The electives basically involved almost no work. And not every TY requires an ICU month.

A great TY should ideally have 5+ electives, although there are a few 4 month programs that are still really good.

Is there any point in DOs going for these “Cush” TYs? Or is it just the super competitive people only?

Reactions: 1 user
I did a cush TY in a desirable location as a DO and am doing Radiology at a community program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is there any point in DOs going for these “Cush” TYs? Or is it just the super competitive people only?
You'll definitely have good options as a competitive radiology applicant even if youre a DO. There are plenty of local hidden gems when it comes to finding a cush TY program. In some rare cases, some prelim medicine years are almost as cush as your average TY