How many in derm did it for lifestyle/because they could?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many in derm are the types who have that genuine passion for skin disorders and would do it even if the lifestyle was not as good and pay-to-hour was less vs how many like, not love the field, love the lifestyle, and find they end up being competitive for it?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to bet you are not going to get any other replies for two reasons-
1. Your run-on sentence is too hard to understand
2. Nobody wants to discuss the obvious- why we went into derm

Good luck though.

Why are concerned is my question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious how many in derm are the types who have that genuine passion for skin disorders and would do it even if the lifestyle was not as good and pay-to-hour was less vs how many like, not love the field, love the lifestyle, and find they end up being competitive for it?

I have a hard time reading through that jumbled run-on.

So I'd rephrase it as, "Who would want to do the same work if it required more hours and paid less?"

The answer (simple as it may sound) is no one.

Wow, tough crowd. :) I apologize for the huge run-on. I guess my question IS a bit of a tired one, poorly rephrased. I guess I was just trying to start a discussion about how many we feel who go the derm route DO have that love of skin disease - as in, that is THE field that interests them the most and the opportunity to have a decent lifestyle is icing. Versus people who like, not LOVE the skin and probably consider one or two other fields more interesting; but, find derm's lifestyle to be soo much more appealing. Or, phrased another way, is it ok to go into derm if it isn't your real 'passion'?

That was probably just as difficult to read :)

Or, phrased another way, is it ok to go into derm if it isn't your real 'passion'?

I don't think anyone gets into derm without having some passion for it.

Surely something is driving these students to be excellent students all throughout med school. To go ahead and pursue research projects when they can just as easily relax during the summer or during the busy year. To go ahead and pull in ungodly Step 1 scores (and spend the 8 weeks cooped up in a jail cell in order to do it), etc..., etc..., etc...

At the very least, if they aren't passionate about skin, they're passionate about working hard and succeeding. Sounds like a good doctor to me...

I agree wholeheartedly - derm people are the smartest and hardest workers there are!

OP,
Sounds like either you or someone you know is considering the personal/percepted implications of 'selling out' (i.e. doing something not because you love it intrisically but because of the payout and time off). Those who like a lot of different fields in medicine and end up choosing a specialty (a job) partially based on lifestyle are thinking ahead, not 'selling out'. If your sole concern is benjamins, however, then you'll defiitely be bored at work. But if you're ok with being bored in dermatology for only 35 hours a week, and still bringing home over 200K per year, then go for it. Getting in is a different story. Ultimately, there's a reason that some of the smartest people in the country (doctors) consistently borrow, beg, and steal to land a coveted derm spot. (50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong)