How many hours a day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbles525

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about contact time/ time managment a lot lately. I've been wondering about different programs and contact time since I've seen more than a couple of posts saying individuals are spending 8+ hours in school. So, what program are you in and how many hours a day do you spend in lecture or lab (contact time in other words)? You can break it down per year too if you'd like. Please do not include study time becuase that will vary greatly from person to person. Thanks!

~Marie

Members don't see this ad.

The massey vet student ass. puts all the timetables up on its' site

http://ivabs.massey.ac.nz/MUVSA/

They're under BVSc- each year has a page, with timetables. First year it's not so bad, but by second year it's all but one afternoon, 9-5. Take a look. There's some other interesting stuff on the site, too- like silabi, and whatnot.

j.

9-5 everyday, sometimes 9-6 or longer depending on electives.

Occasionally we go in late or get to leave early, but thats generally the exception and not the rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, a couple days 8-3, a couple 8-4, and every now and again 8-5.

Every so often we may have unscheduled breaks during the day (if an exam finishes early, etc)- but most of the time, at least 7-8 hrs a day in class.

Let's see. This semester -- first of the professional program -- I had class or lab Mondays 8-1, Tuesdays 8-5 w/ 3 hours break mid-day, Wednesday 8-12 w/ 1-hour break, Thursday 9-1, Friday 8-5 w/ 1 hour break on the busiest days (2 labs), Friday 8-10 on the laziest days (no labs). Which is to say, not many contact hours -- I think they give students a bit of a breather after the pre-selection semester. Mondays this term kinda sucked, because we were stuck in the same classroom sitting elbow-to-elbow from 9-1, but otherwise it was fairly painless. But then again, Massey is 4 1/2 years rather than 4.

All of that is over now, though! It's finals time here (and I am procrastinating -- taking a break from studying respiratory physiology) :p

I reckon it is usually about 25-30 hours a week at Sydney uni. Usually quite a few 9-5 days but the class gets split in half so you end up with a day or two with the afternoon off.

It certainly feels like a full week though!!

it varies, the past week, 8-4...some day are 8-2 or 8-3.

MWF 8-3, TR 8-4 with a break everyday from 12-1. This is only class time, it doesn't factor in extra time in the gross lab (my second home) or anything else.

at UF classes start at 8:30 most days (occasionally 9:30) and we get a 55 minute lunch from 12:20 to 1:15, anatomy is in the afternoon after lunch until 4pm, although usually we get out a little early depending on how your group dissects and whether or not you want to stay the full time.

Tufts: Generally...
M, Th, F = 8-4.
Tu = 8-12 (we're expected to use Tuesday afternoons for gross anatomy first semester, and then for electives after that).
W = 8-5 (frickin' brutal, esp with a 2-hour b.s. class from 3-5).

Sometimes we'll go in an hour late or get out an hour early. Weeks including an anatomy exam are usually a bit shorter and don't involve anatomy lab.

That said, it's 11pm and I just got home an hour ago, after spending all evening at school studying. :sleep:

University of MN, first year...

Most days are 8 to 5, although some days we start at 9 or 10, and some days we're done early (3 or 4, or if half the class does a lab one day and the other half another day, can be as early as 12).

Wednesdays, Neonatology elective goes until 6.

We get an hour break for lunch.