How many didn't find any residency in 2004?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many didn't find any residency in 2004?

• I ERAS-applied to more than 300 places to no avail.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I ERAS-applied to more than 100 places to no avail.

• I made Heaven & Earth move to no avail.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Erica Lewinski

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please vote on the question here: How many didn't find any residency in 2004?

Members don't see this ad.

For the 2004 NRMP match: 25,246 people applied for 23,704 positions.
5,855 people did not match. There were 1,896 spots that were unfilled before the scramble.

Erica Lewinski said:
Please vote on the question here: How many didn't find any residency in 2004?

Check out scutwork.com; the stats are linked on the left side of the main page.

mpp said:
For the 2004 NRMP match: 25,246 people applied for 23,704 positions.
5,855 people did not match. There were 1,896 spots that were unfilled before the scramble.

What are the remaining 3959 folks doing to get-in? Any strategies adopted by those for whom the doors were found closed, the first time around? As the time progresses, you become, unfortunately, less and less desirable, isn't it? The School of Hard-Knocks-experience doesn't count much with PDs, it seems! :confused: :scared:

What I want to know is, who is applying to 100+ programs, let alone 300+? Those are ridiculous numbers. I think it would approach $10K just to apply to 300 programs via ERAS.

Jaded Soul said:
What I want to know is, who is applying to 100+ programs, let alone 300+? Those are ridiculous numbers. I think it would approach $10K just to apply to 300 programs via ERAS.
Thanks for your wonderful partcipation in these threads Jaded Soul.
I've heard many people routinely apply to 100+ programs these days. The reasons given were many and straight forward. However, the bottomline essence of all those was almost the same: this NRMP matching process, the way its executed in the Medical field, has got to rank at the bottom w.r.t. efficiency in helping candidates accomplish their goal. When, on an average, the system is not able to absorb approx. 4-to-6K well-qualified candidates every year, then what's the point of asking candidates to rank the programs and then the programs finally rejecting a candidate, simply because, their preference levels for ranking each other, did not mesh? And as a result, creating that dog-rush in March?? Is a candidate expected to have a crystal-ball? What a piece of c***! However it may be, we have no choice but, to eat it for a few years, before we are allowed to proceed with our life's mission! I have no problem with that. But, its just that, such a large number of intelligent people, can certainly design and implement a better matching system, to minimize the folk's frustation. In the name of a better, perfect matching system, they landed up designing a complex-system, that looks elegant on paper, but, in practice, lands up reducing the MD-level qualification people to mere statistical meat-balls! :confused: :scared:

Erica Lewinski said:
Thanks for your wonderful partcipation in these threads Jaded Soul.
I've heard many people routinely apply to 100+ programs these days. The reasons given were many and straight forward. However, the bottomline essence of all those was almost the same: this NRMP matching process, the way its executed in the Medical field, has got to rank at the bottom w.r.t. efficiency in helping candidates accomplish their goal. When, on an average, the system is not able to absorb approx. 4-to-6K well-qualified candidates every year, then what's the point of asking candidates to rank the programs and then the programs finally rejecting a candidate, simply because, their preference levels for ranking each other, did not mesh? And as a result, creating that dog-rush in March?? Is a candidate expected to have a crystal-ball? What a piece of c***! However it may be, we have no choice but, to eat it for a few years, before we are allowed to proceed with our life's mission! I have no problem with that. But, its just that, such a large number of intelligent people, can certainly design and implement a better matching system, to minimize the folk's frustation. In the name of a better, perfect matching system, they landed up designing a complex-system, that looks elegant on paper, but, in practice, lands up reducing the MD-level qualification people to mere statistical meat-balls! :confused: :scared:

:confused:

Obviously there is something else going on under the surface here. From all your other posts, I gather you are a desparate FMG trying to find a residency position in the US. You'll find it much more helpful to just directly ask your questions instead of skirting around the issue.

Anyway, if someone applies to 100+ programs and gets rejected by all of them, I don't think it's the fault of the matching process. I think those people need to figure out what it is about themselves that doesn't make them desirable candidates and do something to fix it.