How many Derm Interviews do you have by now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many Derm interview invites as of 11/22?

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 1-2

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • 3-4

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 5-6

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • 9-10

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 11-12

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • 13+

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Thanksgiving is just about here, and it seems like a little over half (maybe 2/3?) of programs have offered their interview invitations. I must say I'm a little disappointed I don't have more interviews than I currently do, but at the same time I'm thankful to have any, I suppose. Getting all those rejections hurts, even though I know they're coming (I applied to almost all programs).

So, at this juncture, where does everyone else stand? The point of this thread isn't to brag, but I want to see how many interviews most people have.

Members don't see this ad.

I still have a fair amount of programs that have not gotten back to me, so I'm staying optimistic, that's the most you can do

Applied to 20, so far 5 interviews and 3 rejections. Of the 13 I haven't heard back from, ~1/3 have sent out a round of invites; however with 2 of my interviews I got an invite after the first round of invites went out.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far 11/65 with 6 rejections. The three programs I rotated at haven't sent out interviews yet. I'm very fortunate to be in this position but i'm a little disappointed for not getting any interviews from "top" programs. I guess I really underestimated how competitive these programs were.

has anybody noticed that the programs are sending out interviews earlier than they were last year?

it's kind of anxiety-inducing... people keep saying "oh don't worry i only had x interviews at this point last year," but i get the sense that that isn't as accurate anymore as there is a move toward earlier interview offers (from what i can tell talking to other classmates this move is across all specialties as well)

has anybody noticed that the programs are sending out interviews earlier than they were last year?

it's kind of anxiety-inducing... people keep saying "oh don't worry i only had x interviews at this point last year," but i get the sense that that isn't as accurate anymore as there is a move toward earlier interview offers (from what i can tell talking to other classmates this move is across all specialties as well)

This past two weeks and the next 2-3 weeks are primetime for interview offers. Very anxiety inducing and I have no other words of consolation at this point except hang in there.

9/50 so far with 5 official rejections. I got most of my interviews in the beginning of the season and in the past week (which has been extremely busy) I have only gotten 1! I was really bummed about not getting places like Michigan, UCSF, BU, and UCLA. I now have a sinking feeling I will not get any more interviews. Ay. I also hate how this whole process feels like its all about who you know and the connections you have.

9/50 so far with 5 official rejections. I got most of my interviews in the beginning of the season and in the past week (which has been extremely busy) I have only gotten 1! I was really bummed about not getting places like Michigan, UCSF, BU, and UCLA. I now have a sinking feeling I will not get any more interviews. Ay. I also hate how this whole process feels like its all about who you know and the connections you have.

Hey! So I have almost the exact same scenarior as you...10 interviews, and basically none lately...Don't worry, I feel like there is gonna be another wave of interviews, and given that we did so well early, we should get 5-10 more!!!

Hey! So I have almost the exact same scenarior as you...10 interviews, and basically none lately...Don't worry, I feel like there is gonna be another wave of interviews, and given that we did so well early, we should get 5-10 more!!!
I also got a good number of invites early on, and nothing but rejections lately. While I'm trying to stay optimistic...I find it difficult since most of the programs who have not sent out invites yet (like the new york wave) are the "name brand" programs. It's hard to believe that I'll be getting any from them, since most of my invites to date, being an average applicant, are from random cities. Realistically speaking, I fear the only way is if people start canceling their invites.

Cancelations will start soon. People are starting to saturate interview dates. The swap thread is just starting to light up and I'd say that's a pretty good indicator that trickle down is beginning to flow. There are still hundreds of interviews spots yet to be sent out so musical chairs here we come!

Do you guys really think that we still have a shot at places where we haven't been rejected at?

I was under the assumption (based on the last year's list) that there is only one wave of invitation. That if we haven't heard anything from them, either yay or nay, it's pretty much a rejection waiting to happen.

Any thoughts?

I got one today. Far less likely than getting one during the first wave but it happens. ("So you're saying I have a shot!") One of my invites said they historically have one or two pull-out pre-interview and asked that applicants be prompt about notifying their administrator so they can invite off their waitlist.

If you're really interested in a particular program that has already sent out invites and you are in limbo (no invite, no rejection), I encourage you to write an email stating your genuine interest. Should at least bump you up on the pseudo-waitlist. Don't give up until the interview date has passed or you get an outright rejection I say.

So you're saying there's a chance?

1623026_o.gif

I got one today. Far less likely than getting one during the first wave but it happens. ("So you're saying I have a shot!") One of my invites said they historically have one or two pull-out pre-interview and asked that applicants be prompt about notifying their administrator so they can invite off their waitlist.

If you're really interested in a particular program that has already sent out invites and you are in limbo (no invite, no rejection), I encourage you to write an email stating your genuine interest. Should at least bump you up on the pseudo-waitlist. Don't give up until the interview date has passed or you get an outright rejection I say.

Good to know. Will keep my hopes alive. ;)