How many C's in sciences is too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prebie

Reaction score
My freshmen year started off like anyone who ever has never had freedom as a teenager- wild. Due to that I made a C in biology (when i couldve did a lot better because at the end i made A's but it was too late) and wasnt planning on retaking it because I knew for a fact that I will no longer get anymore C's. However, thats before I took online chemistry. Its pure hell and basically the teacher nor the textbook nor the power points are helpful/accurate (some of the test questions are misspelt and have no wrong answers). Everyone warned me about taking this chemistry instructor and I just ignored them. I ended up making a C! Should I retake it in the fall or just keep on and do better and adcoms will understand? Also I was on the dean list, so my GPA might drop because of this (however i did make an A in lab)

Members don't see this ad.

But what's your overall/science GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
But what's your overall/science GPA?
2.8 because of the two C's. Im taking mostly major courses next year so im planning on doing better. I just think a 2.8 is impossible to get to a 3.6-3.8 in 3 years, correct me if im wrong.

Even a single F won't kill you. It's a pre-med delusion that you have to be perfect for med school.
That makes me feel so much better. I went to a premed workshop earlier last year and an professor told us all that many of us probably never seen a C before so i really made an assumption that premeds cant get C's.

My freshmen year started off like anyone who ever has never had freedom as a teenager- wild. Due to that I made a C in biology (when i couldve did a lot better because at the end i made A's but it was too late) and wasnt planning on retaking it because I knew for a fact that I will no longer get anymore C's. However, thats before I took online chemistry. Its pure hell and basically the teacher nor the textbook nor the power points are helpful/accurate (some of the test questions are misspelt and have no wrong answers). Everyone warned me about taking this chemistry instructor and I just ignored them. I ended up making a C! Should I retake it in the fall or just keep on and do better and adcoms will understand? Also I was on the dean list, so my GPA might drop because of this (however i did make an A in lab)
Stay in school long enough to balance each C with 2-3 A grades, and you'll be fine.

Many/most schools won't accept an online Chem I class, so plan to retake it. (You might review the websites of your probable target schools to view their policy for online coursework).

As far a the Biology C, if you feel you grasped the material well enough to do well on the MCAT, or think you can learn the material on your own, you needn't repeat it. It would be a good idea to get an A in Bio 2 though.

Reactions: 1 users
That makes me feel so much better. I went to a premed workshop earlier last year and an professor told us all that many of us probably never seen a C before so i really made an assumption that premeds cant get C's.
If you go through the Interview feedback forum, and look at questions, many interviewee's report being asked something like "So what's up with that C in Physics?"

Reactions: 1 user
If you go through the Interview feedback forum, and look at questions, many interviewee's report being asked something like "So what's up with that C in Physics?"

As always @Goro knows what’s up.

When I was interviewing the conversation usually went something like:

Interviewer: “So, Knife, I see you had a rough freshman year. C in chemistry and an F in biology. Tell me about that”

Me: “Yes, unfortunately I don’t think I was completely prepared for the rigors of college when I started. However I worked hard to succeed in upper level science classes and on my MCAT. Those academic struggles ultimately served as invaluable learning opportunities for later on.”

Interviewer: “I see. So why don’t you tell me about how [Cookie cutter extra-curricular] influenced your decision to become a doctor”

Reactions: 4 users
As always @Goro knows what’s up.

When I was interviewing the conversation usually went something like:

Interviewer: “So, Knife, I see you had a rough freshman year. C in chemistry and an F in biology. Tell me about that”

Me: “Yes, unfortunately I don’t think I was completely prepared for the rigors of college when I started. However I worked hard to succeed in upper level science classes and on my MCAT. Those academic struggles ultimately served as invaluable learning opportunities for later on.”

Interviewer: “I see. So why don’t you tell me about how [Cookie cutter extra-curricular] influenced your decision to become a doctor”

So I just need to take account of this and just do better? I can do it. I just dont want them to see how I had an upward trend going for my gpa then it went back down a little then right back up.

So I just need to take account of this and just do better? I can do it. I just dont want them to see how I had an upward trend going for my gpa then it went back down a little then right back up.

Yes. If asked about it, do NOT blame your professor.

Yes. If asked about it, do NOT blame your professor.
thanks for the heads up because I was definitely going to blame my professor lol. Should I just say im more of a classic "in class" learner and I found out that online isnt for me?

thanks for the heads up because I was definitely going to blame my professor lol. Should I just say im more of a classic "in class" learner and I found out that online isnt for me?

That sounds more reasonable. Live and learn. Just a rule of thumb: NEVER blame other people and make excuses. Be accountable always.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone above has given great advice. While not in the same circumstance as you, I had two C's sprinkled in my college career and ultimately got accepted. While you should do your best, a C or two isn't going to kill you. If you start working hard and destroy the next few years, it'll make a really great application story.

Everyone above has given great advice. While not in the same circumstance as you, I had two C's sprinkled in my college career and ultimately got accepted. While you should do your best, a C or two isn't going to kill you. If you start working hard and destroy the next few years, it'll make a really great application story.
Thank you, hopefully my EC's will outshine those C's.