How Long to Study for Step 2 CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coletrickle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi: I am a US Med student wanting to know how long I need to study for Step 2 CS? Most people I've talked to study less than a week.

I have 4 full days currently scheduled to study (I don't want to move my date) Is this enough? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi: I am a US Med student wanting to know how long I need to study for Step 2 CS? Most people I've talked to study less than a week.

I have 4 full days currently scheduled to study (I don't want to move my date) Is this enough? Thoughts?

Thanks!

If you've completed your core 3rd year rotations, then you should be fine. Most of it is just doing the same stuff you did on your rotations. I'd just take some time and go through First Aid for CS and the materials they publish on their website so you understand what is expected of you in each encounter and on your notes. This shouldn't take you more than 4 days.

Also, take a look at some of the CS specific threads on the forum, I found them helpful.

i took two weeks just to be safe. after the first few days it was like pulling teeth to get through cases and read FA. you should be fine

I took two days to study--make sure you do the following:
1-Watch the orientation video online
2-Read through the minicases and practice cases in CS
3-Practice writing out your interview sheet

For example, on mine I would write:
Name, Age, CC, Abnl Vitals
HPI, PMHx, PSHx, Meds, Allergies....etc

Before I entered the room! This really helped me to stay organized.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people in my class year went in cold, other than reading the orientation material. No failures so far.

Granted, we 1) have a lot of SP encounters in our curriculum over MS1-3 and 2) have an in-house CS-like exam that we take prior to CS.

I allotted 6 hours on the day prior to exam, it was fine.

read first aid CS and practiced cases with a bud for 3-4 days

my english speaking and note were starred, but my doctor-patient professionalism was borderline because i joked around too much and made fun of the atlanta braves

I'm not chancing it! I'm taking 2 weeks. But not solid, I'm also on a psych rotation before the exam so I have time to study. I hate the material out there for study guides, but just got Step 2 Triage for CS and think it'll work well. I need a buddy though. Are you in LA by any chance? Call me OCD but I just don't want any problems with this or any of the steps. ;)

There are two approaches to this exam:
1. trying to make sure you have a "system" before the exam. prep time 2-3 days
2. memorizing first aid cases. will take you 2+ weeks, my buddy took this approach and you increase your chance of failing when faced with cases you didnt practice and panic.

:rolleyes: *Looks at OP's post date*

I think he answered his own question now that he's taken the test...

There are two approaches to this exam:
1. trying to make sure you have a "system" before the exam. prep time 2-3 days
2. memorizing first aid cases. will take you 2+ weeks, my buddy took this approach and you increase your chance of failing when faced with cases you didnt practice and panic.

Very true regarding Technique 2. If you're attempting to remember the closing statement of a patient with headache from FA for CS, you're going to sound like an idiot. If you are a remotely competent US medical student, you will pass this exam regardless of how much preparation you do.