how long to get step 2 scores back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schooner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I took the test a while back. Just wondering how long they took to get you your score back? Someone was telling me its electronic now? Is that the case?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like most people are getting their results online in ~4 weeks.

It depends upon whether you are talking about CK or CS. Cs tkes about 2 months dependin upon the release window and where you fall in it. CK usually takes 3-4 weeks, but they just sent out an e-mail that says they are going to "batch" selected scores taken after the middle of August to compare to older scores since they are updating the test again.

It depends upon whether you are talking about CK or CS. Cs tkes about 2 months dependin upon the release window and where you fall in it. CK usually takes 3-4 weeks, but they just sent out an e-mail that says they are going to "batch" selected scores taken after the middle of August to compare to older scores since they are updating the test again.

Just wondering, did they give a specific date in August, also what does updating the test actually entail, would it make the test harder?

Members don't see this ad :)
A new version of the software used to deliver the USMLE Step examinations is scheduled to be introduced in mid-August 2008. Migration to the new version will occur first in the Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) examination, and will be phased in over several weeks. If you plan to take the Step 2 CK examination in August 2008 or later, you should familiarize yourself with both the current test delivery software and the new version.

The sample test materials using both the current test delivery software and the new version are available on the USMLE website at http://www.usmle.org/Orientation/2008/menu.html.

The change to the test delivery software will be accounted for in scoring the examination results, so that scores will be comparable to those of exams using the older software. Because of this change, it will be necessary to delay the reporting of scores for some examinees. The normal turnaround time for reporting scores to Step 2 CK examinees is 3 to 4 weeks. However, during this transition, turnaround time may be as long as 6 to 8 weeks.

A new version of the software used to deliver the USMLE Step examinations is scheduled to be introduced in mid-August 2008. Migration to the new version will occur first in the Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) examination, and will be phased in over several weeks. If you plan to take the Step 2 CK examination in August 2008 or later, you should familiarize yourself with both the current test delivery software and the new version.

The sample test materials using both the current test delivery software and the new version are available on the USMLE website at http://www.usmle.org/Orientation/2008/menu.html.

The change to the test delivery software will be accounted for in scoring the examination results, so that scores will be comparable to those of exams using the older software. Because of this change, it will be necessary to delay the reporting of scores for some examinees. The normal turnaround time for reporting scores to Step 2 CK examinees is 3 to 4 weeks. However, during this transition, turnaround time may be as long as 6 to 8 weeks.

Got it, thanks

Mine came quickly... took the test July 24 and got results on August 6!

do they e-mail you your score, or email you it is available on their website or something? i forget how this worked for step1 and complex 1 honestly

They email you a link, you click on it, log in, and can view your score report.

took mine on july 19th and havent gotten my score bak yet. its kinda screwy if someone who took it later got it sooner? but i need to find out, the anxiety is killin me.

Members don't see this ad :)
do they e-mail you your score, or email you it is available on their website or something? i forget how this worked for step1 and complex 1 honestly

Yeah. I took Step 1 last June 13 and had to wait on good ole snail mail until
July 18. I'm taking CK in 1 1/2 weeks and it looks like I'll be waiting until Oct. 8.

Last edited:

[Posted July 15, 2008, Updated August 1, 2008]
A new version of the software used to deliver the computer-based USMLE Step examinations is scheduled to be introduced in mid-August 2008. Migration to the new version will occur first in the Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) examination. The migration is expected to begin at a small number of test centers on August 14, and will then be phased in at remaining test centers throughout the remainder of August and into September. If you plan to take the Step 2 CK examination in mid-August 2008 or later, you should familiarize yourself with both the current test delivery software and the new version.
Orientation and practice materials using both the current and new versions of the software are available for downloading by clicking here.
The change to the test delivery software will be accounted for in scoring the examination results, so that scores will be comparable to those of exams using the older software. Because of this change, as well as routine modifications to the test item pool, it will be necessary to delay the reporting of scores for some examinees. The normal turnaround time for reporting scores to Step 2 CK examinees is 3 to 4 weeks. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing from mid-August through late September will be Wednesday, October 8, 2008.
Note to Step 1 and Step 3 examinees: Migration of Step 1 and Step 3 to the new test delivery software will occur in 2009. Please monitor the USMLE website announcements section to check for changes in test delivery software, and to access orientation and practice materials.

I got my results after two weeks much to my surprise.

What is the website to get your scores for CK?

On Wednesday mornings they'll e-mail you if your scores are ready. You go to the same website where you registered and you'll have a new link that will pull up a pdf of your score report. The scores actually get uploaded to the site at midnight eastern time, so if you're expecting it in a given week, you can stay up late and check.

what is the last testing date to recieve their scores? Has anyone who took it on the 31st gotten there's back yet? I'm wondering if that will be tomorrow or not. I'm not sure if they release scores every wednesday

sometimes the NBME site updates before you get your email so at 12:01am or so, you could log into that to get your score report

Scores are up! At least for those of us who took it on the 31st. Can't attest for any later dates.

Took my test on the 27th...just got my score!

Step 1: 194/79
Step 2: 246/99

Suffice it to say, this changes everything...

Took my test on the 27th...just got my score!

Step 1: 194/79
Step 2: 246/99

Suffice it to say, this changes everything...

WOW! Excellent improvement! I went up thrity points on mine, but you take the cake! Hope you're out celebrating =)

If I don't have CS scheduled until 3rd week of January, will I be removed from the match due to Rank Order List deadlines? (I think this even results have to be back by Feb 25th... ) If so, what do I do -- aside from trying real hard to get an earlier exam date (none of which are available now).

If I don't have CS scheduled until 3rd week of January, will I be removed from the match due to Rank Order List deadlines? (I think this even results have to be back by Feb 25th... ) If so, what do I do -- aside from trying real hard to get an earlier exam date (none of which are available now).

NRMP and ERAS don't care if you've passed, scheduled, or even taken CS. Those restrictions are imposed by individual programs. With that said, I've never heard of a program that would leave you unranked because your CS results are pending. The worst that can happen is you don't get a USMLE transcript to them before ROLs are due and they don't rank you. If you're concerned, contact the programs you're considering and see what their policy is.