How long should LORs be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsoni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
How long is the letter of recommendation supposed to be? My dentist wrote me a 200 word letter. Is that okay or too short?

Also, how are they supposed to sign the letter? Do schools need hand written signature, or just typed name at the end suffice?

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know how much he wrote for you?

Reactions: 1 users
He sent me the letter to see if it looks okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
How long is the letter of recommendation supposed to be? My dentist wrote me a 200 word letter. Is that okay or too short?

Also, how are they supposed to sign the letter? Do schools need hand written signature, or just typed name at the end suffice?

I think 200 worlds is too short. The one I got from my dentist was around 600-650 words.

You know you have to sign something that says you haven't read the letter, right?
I was under the impression that we could choose not to waive the right to view them? Didn't know it was mandatory... And I told my dentist that it's confidential, but he still emailed it to me so idk lol.
Btw, should I tell him to add more?

So you read the letter...? Also, handwritten signature with letterhead is most preferred.
So it's common practice for them to print the letter, sign it, scan it, and then send it to AADSAS?

Edit: OP, as reference, my dentist said the LOR he wrote me was 300 words.

I was under the impression that we could choose not to waive the right to view them? Didn't know it was mandatory... And I told my dentist that it's confidential, but he still emailed it to me so idk lol.
Btw, should I tell him to add more?

It's not mandatory, but if you don't waive the right, then it's a pretty big red flag.

So it's common practice for them to print the letter, sign it, scan it, and then send it to AADSAS?

Edit: OP, as reference, my dentist said the LOR he wrote me was 300 words.
Yep, that's what my writers did. Or they use Adobe Acrobat to draw in their signature.

Mine was maybe 250-300 words. So it's fine. Also I didn't waive my right to view mine since I had to help my dentist upload it from his email at his office. Not one school I interviewed at brought it up.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine was maybe 250-300 words. So it's fine. Also I didn't waive my right to view mine since I had to help my dentist upload it from his email at his office. Not one school I interviewed at brought it up.
Nice man congrats I didn't know you had gotten into school!

Yep, that's what my writers did. Or they use Adobe Acrobat to draw in their signature.
Lol I called interfolio today to ask them if he signed the letter. They said he didn't include letterlead or his signature. I EXPLICITLY mentioned it to him to include, but he didn't. I feel bad asking again and again. Does this look bad?

"It is recommended that the letter be on letterhead and include a signature" - AADSAS
Remember, you're trying to maximize your chances of getting in, so I would definitely ask the writer to reupload.
Lol I called interfolio today to ask them if he signed the letter. They said he didn't include letterlead or his signature. I EXPLICITLY mentioned it to him to include, but he didn't. I feel bad asking again and again. Does this look bad?

[/QUOTE]