Coursework & Fieldwork How long does it take to set up a fieldwork contract with your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is a popular route to take on deciding where to go for fieldwork, but I’m trying to gauge, on average, how long it takes to set up a new site contract with your school?

Members don't see this ad.

That question can only be answered by your Fieldwork Coordinator and at best they can provide ranges and averages. It different from site to site. A contract is an agreement with both the fieldwork site and the educational site. The larger the entity, the more hoops there is generally. In theory, it could be done quickly but it is often not a priority for many places.

Personally, I am fortunate to have a Fieldwork Coordinator that was patient with me. My Fieldwork Coordinator was okay with me having a "back up" in Virginia where I went to school while I try to find places that were willing to take me in California, my home state. Many places didn't want to establish a new contract but ultimately both of my fieldwork placement that I ended with agreed to take me in about a month and a half before fieldwork started. Based on my story, the time it took to draft a contract was about a couple weeks but that was also combined with many rejections during the lengthy time reaching out to different places. Your school already has materials to draft a contact (cause they have existing sites) so places that commonly take rehab students would have an easier time because they are not starting from square one. A place that has never taken any students of any discipline may need more time. You won't know until you try- good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
That question can only be answered by your Fieldwork Coordinator and at best they can provide ranges and averages. It different from site to site. A contract is an agreement with both the fieldwork site and the educational site. The larger the entity, the more hoops there is generally. In theory, it could be done quickly but it is often not a priority for many places.

Personally, I am fortunate to have a Fieldwork Coordinator that was patient with me. My Fieldwork Coordinator was okay with me having a "back up" in Virginia where I went to school while I try to find places that were willing to take me in California, my home state. Many places didn't want to establish a new contract but ultimately both of my fieldwork placement that I ended with agreed to take me in about a month and a half before fieldwork started. Based on my story, the time it took to draft a contract was about a couple weeks but that was also combined with many rejections during the lengthy time reaching out to different places. Your school already has materials to draft a contact (cause they have existing sites) so places that commonly take rehab students would have an easier time because they are not starting from square one. A place that has never taken any students of any discipline may need more time. You won't know until you try- good luck.

Thank you for this reply! You raise a ton of points to consider, and that really helps with some decision making I need to do fast before fall (my summer Lvl 1 was cancelled last minute by the site). When you said ‘both of my fieldwork placement that I ended with agreed to take me in about a month and a half before fieldwork started’, was that in reference to Lvl 1 fieldwork, or Lvl 2? From my understanding, it’ll take less time, paperwork, etc., to set up a Lvl 1 rotation.

Thank you for this reply! You raise a ton of points to consider, and that really helps with some decision making I need to do fast before fall (my summer Lvl 1 was cancelled last minute by the site). When you said ‘both of my fieldwork placement that I ended with agreed to take me in about a month and a half before fieldwork started’, was that in reference to Lvl 1 fieldwork, or Lvl 2? From my understanding, it’ll take less time, paperwork, etc., to set up a Lvl 1 rotation.
Yes- I was referring to Level II. Level I probably doesn't require as much because its purpose is exposure and not becoming competent in a specific setting; less demanding on all parties.

Reactions: 1 user