How long does it take to get scores back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was planning on taking the PCAT for the first time in August and I was just wondering how long it takes to get the scores back? I want to know because I'd like to take it again in October possibly if I don't do as well as I'd like so I can get into pharmacy school in Fall 2008. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I was planning on taking the PCAT for the first time in August and I was just wondering how long it takes to get the scores back? I want to know because I'd like to take it again in October possibly if I don't do as well as I'd like so I can get into pharmacy school in Fall 2008. Thanks for your help.

am planing to take the exam in October....can u believe am nervous by now..am using kaplan book its good i hope...how u plan to study and whats you aiming school?

I just ordered the 2008-2009 Kaplan PCAT book and Barron's 3rd edition a week ago. Just waiting for them to come, plan on using them to study. My aim school is Univeristy of Nebraska Medical Center. How bout you?

I just ordered the 2008-2009 Kaplan PCAT book and Barron's 3rd edition a week ago. Just waiting for them to come, plan on using them to study. My aim school is Univeristy of Nebraska Medical Center. How bout you?

i would like to go into UIC since am doing my masters in chicago..but i dont know am still new on the whole pharmacy thing and i heard its hard to get in..what you think...am using kaplan 2006-2007 and i think its good..am still in biology section though..i hope i can score around 80s...does the exam realy depends on others testing with you?

Members don't see this ad :)

For most people, six weeks is the minimum with some people waiting a little longer. Just do a search for all those threads written by disgruntled examinees getting pissed at Harcourt.:D

From my experience and others, PharmCAS gets your scores a few days early but it takes a few days for the reports to be forwarded to the schools. EDIT: I'm assuming that UNMC still does their own application, but I would expect the application to get there around the same time that you get it. They have an earlier deadline than many schools, so do consider that.

You can take the exam in October without sacrificing another year, but its ideal to have all of your applications (including secondaries) processed (not just received) by the school before you get your scores. That way, your application goes into the active consideration pile of applications before December.

does the exam realy depends on others testing with you?

I haven't read anything official from Harcourt, but past examinees posting on SDN says that PCAT scores are based on a testing group of all the people who took the PCAT during a certain time period (1998-2003 or something like that, I don't remember). If that is the case, then it doesn't matter on testing with you. Even if this wasn't true, Harcourt would take ALL of the people taking the October exam to make the curve. Given the large sample size, it's unlikely that there are huge differences between examination dates enough to skew your scores. So, its not like you're going to be screwed if the 50 or so test-takers in your room get 90s:)

I haven't read anything official from Harcourt, but past examinees posting on SDN says that PCAT scores are based on a testing group of all the people who took the PCAT during a certain time period (1998-2003 or something like that, I don't remember). If that is the case, then it doesn't matter on testing with you. Even if this wasn't true, Harcourt would take ALL of the people taking the October exam to make the curve. Given the large sample size, it's unlikely that there are huge differences between examination dates enough to skew your scores. So, its not like you're going to be screwed if the 50 or so test-takers in your room get 90s:)

am now doing my masters and am expecting to graduate next year fall 2008...am planing to take the PCAT this October and see how well i do ...if i took it in October will it still be good until after i graduate or i would have to re take it again...thanks

am now doing my masters and am expecting to graduate next year fall 2008...am planing to take the PCAT this October and see how well i do ...if i took it in October will it still be good until after i graduate or i would have to re take it again...thanks

PCAT scores are usually good for a couple of years. Check with each school to see the oldest examination they'll allow. It may be different now that the PCAT has been tweaked a little.

PCAT scores are usually good for a couple of years. Check with each school to see the oldest examination they'll allow. It may be different now that the PCAT has been tweaked a little.

ur the best....so if i took it in october and if it its good for two years then i will be fine right..?

ur the best....so if i took it in october and if it its good for two years then i will be fine right..?

Like I said, double-check with the schools as changes may occur. You don't want to assume the scores will be good only to find out that you have to retake the exam.;)

Im thinking the same way you are. October 6 is the last day you can register for the October PCAT. Youre taking a leap of faith if you dont register. Hopefully our August scores will be released prior to that day.

Ahh that is what I am worried about too. I plan on taking it in August, but what if my scores don't come back by the registration deadline for the October PCAT? :(

Ahh that is what I am worried about too. I plan on taking it in August, but what if my scores don't come back by the registration deadline for the October PCAT? :(

The registration fee is a small price to pay for peace of mind. If you aren't sure you did well, then register first. Sacrificing $200 is like a drop in the bucket compared to how much you'll spend for applications.

They say that your scores will take 4-6 weeks to come. In my experience they wait till the last day of the 6th week to get them to you (some of my friends got them earlier, some later). But you should get them before the october exam, just in case you want to retake it. But like someone said, the $200 registration fee is worth it for the "just in case", and is nominal compared to that which you will be spending over the next 4 years.