How is your residency so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd start a thread where we can periodically update about our residencies and how things are going. Now that we're all in our second to third week, how's it going so far?

So far for me it's been a lot of orientation/computer training (policy and procedures, CPOE, etc.). I just registered for ACLS training, which is next month. I should get my schedule for the year (which I'm sure is subject to change) tomorrow and find out my weekend staffing rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hahahaha...you know....

I'm over it - what was I thinking doing a second year?

Hahahaha...you know....

I'm over it - what was I thinking doing a second year?
LOL yeah what she said :smack:

I definately think it helps staying at the same institution though since I know the preceptors, medical residents and attendings and know what to expect from them.

only 11.5 months left but who's counting? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL yeah what she said :smack:

I definately think it helps staying at the same institution though since I know the preceptors, medical residents and attendings and know what to expect from them.

only 11.5 months left but who's counting? :laugh:

Agreed. I also did my PGY2 at the same institution I did my PGY1. It also allows you to be more productive because you are already trained and know the system.

Agreed. I also did my PGY2 at the same institution I did my PGY1. It also allows you to be more productive because you are already trained and know the system.

How common is it to do your PGY1 and PGY2 at the same institution? I assume that you would get to know all personnel in the PGY1 so it gives you an advantage when you apply for the PGY2.

Also, I've heard from med students that if you do a residency at a hospital then it's usually not desirable to get a position immediately after residency at that same hospital. Is this true for pharmacy residencies?

y'all should just all quit the residency... it's useless... :smuggrin:

I hate my residency. I knew residency would be stressful, but I thought that would be because I was overworked, not because everyone cared more about training the students than training me and the other resident. I do exactly the same job as the staff pharmacists and make less than half their salary.

If I had to do it over, I'd sign with Walgreen's.

I hate my residency. I knew residency would be stressful, but I thought that would be because I was overworked, not because everyone cared more about training the students than training me and the other resident. I do exactly the same job as the staff pharmacists and make less than half their salary.

:eek: Are you being cereal or just venting?

wow, that sucks. I'm sorry your situation is sucking :(

i hate my residency. I knew residency would be stressful, but i thought that would be because i was overworked, not because everyone cared more about training the students than training me and the other resident. I do exactly the same job as the staff pharmacists and make less than half their salary.

If i had to do it over, i'd sign with walgreen's.

hahahahahahahahahaha

It sucks that you're being taken advantage of like that. Is your residency fully accredited? That's why if I'm doing a residency it's gonna be PHS or military. You get full pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sucks that you're being taken advantage of like that. Is your residency fully accredited? That's why if I'm doing a residency it's gonna be PHS or military. You get full pay.

Yes, the program is accredited (or at least that's what they told me; at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they lied about being accredited too).

Yes, the program is accredited (or at least that's what they told me; at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they lied about being accredited too).

Looks like you made a bad choice.

Lied to you...lol. You can look it up online if the residency is accredited or call the accrediting body, it's your fault if you did not take the initiative to do that before committing to a residency.

If this program is really as bad as you say....you can log a complaint with ASHP if they are accredited.

Karm12 said:
Looks like you made a bad choice.
Duh. I am angry at myself every single day for ranking this program. If you have constructive suggestions for me, I'm all ears. If all you're going to do is tell me I was stupid to take this residency, don't bother - I already know that!

For the record, this program was my second choice and I was disappointed to match there. When I saw how many people had to scramble and how few other places were hiring where I live, I decided I'd just be grateful to have a residency. Plus I figured I could still learn something. Then I got here and realized that during interviews they either exaggerated or flat-out lied about major parts of the program and I feel cheated.

Man.... all I really wanted to do when I first posted was blow off some steam. I had no idea I'd get so many responses!

Lied to you...lol. You can look it up online if the residency is accredited or call the accrediting body, it's your fault if you did not take the initiative to do that before committing to a residency.

I was being sarcastic. Sorry that didn't come through. Yes, I did check ASHP's online residency directory before I applied and it says they are accredited. I made a bunch of mistakes when applying to PGY-1s, but at least I made sure all the programs I applied to were accredited. :)

If this program is really as bad as you say....you can log a complaint with ASHP if they are accredited.

I'm actually working on one. :) Hopefully I can get a response from ASHP before Midyear.

You've already taken the initiative to change things at your institution by complaining to ASHP... I would just make sure that you talk to your program director about your expectations as well. You may think it'll teach them a lesson if they get feedback directly from ASHP instead of from you, but unfortunately that won't do anything to better your current situation. Don't wait until the end of the year or even your quarterly review because all they can say at that point is "You should have told us earlier." If your residency director doesn't see a basis for your complaints, talk to your preceptors each month and see what they can do to improve your learning experience. I would just hate to have you spend all this time submitting a complaint to ASHP if you haven't already taken the necessary steps at your hospital.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you're going through this already. I hope things start looking up... and if you decide to do a PGY-2, I hope you can get the full residency experience at your next institution.

you dont want to go to wags, believe me...im bolting for residency next year...gonna give them the bonus $$ back too, worst company of all imo

I think a lot of programs exaggerate or say other things during interviews to impress candidates. You aren't the only one in the world who feels they didn't know the whole picture coming in.

And for that reason, I suggest you be honest with next year's applicants/interviewees. Make sure to point out reasons why these issues may be specific to you, bu let them know they existed.

I'm actually working on one. :) Hopefully I can get a response from ASHP before Midyear.

Be careful. I agree with the poster that suggested talking to the program director first. You don't want to burn any bridges. Remember that pharmacy is a smal world!

Be careful. I agree with the poster that suggested talking to the program director first. You don't want to burn any bridges. Remember that pharmacy is a smal world!

My co-resident and I tried talking to the PD and at first we were ignored. That is why I started writing a complaint - I have not submitted it or even shown it to anyone! I'm aware of the dangers of burning bridges and the fact that pharmacy is a small world. As I said before, I mainly came on here to vent. I'm much more rational in real life. :)

The good news is that things are finally starting to not suck, so maybe I won't need to submit that complaint.

MustLoveDrugs said:
I hope things start looking up... and if you decide to do a PGY-2, I hope you can get the full residency experience at your next institution.

I'm still undecided about doing a PGY-2. I'm worried about my ability to get one (residency aside, I was not the best student). Also, there are no PGY-2s where I live and with my family situation I'm not sure I can move.

do they just not teach you anything? If so, and they are using you for staffing, is it possible for you to seek out another job and just quit the residency? Or is it getting better and you can stand doing it? what about past graduates of the program?

Just a few questions, and wow, people sure jump down your throat here.

you dont want to go to wags, believe me...im bolting for residency next year...gonna give them the bonus $$ back too, worst company of all imo

x2

Do not wish you went the way of Walgreens. Worst company forsure. I too am in the same boat as lorain, I'm giving back their stupid sign on bonus and applying for residency. I'm sorry that your current situation sucks, and I seriously hope that you'll be able to get it turned around or resolved ASAP.
Best of luck!

Residency may suck, but retail pharmacy is hell-on-earth unless you just want to make $120k and not be required to use your brain. You can try to use your brain, but you'll take longer to fill, will probably piss off customers, and will also probably piss off physicians when you call to suggest other therapies.

Stay in the hospital afterward.

In all the talks we were given last year about applying for residency it was stressed that quitting is equivalent to career suicide. The people talking were the ones that would be doing the hiring for people applying to their institutions. Stick it out and do your best to advocate for yourself. I hope things get better for you.