How is the psychiatric profession controlled or "governed"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftmyerskid35

Late Bloomer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was just something I was wondering. How is the psychiatric profession controlled or "governed"? I am working on my masters now in clinical mental health counseling and would like to attend medical school shortly after.

Members don't see this ad.

There are various levels.....

ACGME controls & regulates residencies. Residencies are financially payed for by Medicare. To practice (and this is law, though I don't know if its a federal or state law) you need to pass USMLE 1, 2 and 3, and graduated from an accredited residency program, need a medical license to practice in the state, and have malpractice insurance.

While practicing in the state, the state medical board is in charge of doctors. The board can take away a doctor's license.

Who regulates psychiatry? The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology gives board certification, though certification is not required to practice.

There are various levels.....

ACGME controls & regulates residencies. Residencies are financially payed for by Medicare. To practice (and this is law, though I don't know if its a federal or state law) you need to pass USMLE 1, 2 and 3, and graduated from an accredited residency program, need a medical license to practice in the state, and have malpractice insurance.

While practicing in the state, the state medical board is in charge of doctors. The board can take away a doctor's license.

Who regulates psychiatry? The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology gives board certification, though certification is not required to practice.

And you left out the all important....JCAHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, and I forgot to mention that ACGME requires that all residency programs have a GME office that is supposed to make sure that the program is following ACGME rules.

What I explained is a basic backbone. There's a lot of differing politics, standards and such with what I mentioned, and there's also several other rules. E.g. in general a chief resident is responsible for the residents, but also has to represent them as an advocate in to the attendings. The program director is in charge of a residency program, there's a department head in charge of the department etc.

Several state boards are much more strict or relaxed depending on the state.

Thank you so much! You guys are awesome. So far I love my Masters program and I can't wait to go farther into the medical and psychological realm.

How is the psychiatric profession controlled or "governed"?

poorly.

(really? Whopper and OPD missed that? I'm appalled.
I tried being "palled" but it was lacking something.)