How is the graveyard shift?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasmine0211

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am considering working the graveyard shift for either retail or Kaiser. I've never experienced a graveyard shift before and was told it is 7 on and 7 off.

Does anyone have experience working the graveyard shift? What is it like and is there more or less prescriptions? Would you recommend it or not?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I do not have pharmacy experience, but I worked nights for two years full time at a reference laboratory. I used to go in around 11pm or 12am and get off around 8am or 10am. It took me about 4 months to get used to it. The hardest part was getting off on the weekends and getting back to a normal schedule, then having to go back to a night schedule Monday nights.

But as long as you can stay awake, and don't have family responsibilities, it isn't too bad. But there's no way I could have done it for more than a few years. With a night schedule, it is easier to schedule appointments and run errands since you are off all day (though you may be fighting off sleep while you're getting that oil change).

hmm...i'm going to try to find that article about grave yard shift and cancer link

i'll get back to ya

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to scare you actually. I just remember reading an article that nnguyenc mentioned and a quick googling found those two.

I worked a 1:30am to 10am shift for quite a long time. Took a little bit to get used to, but I liked it. You definitely need to get the bedroom very dark, cool, and quiet. Check out a sleep clinic website for more info. You also must, must, must, not sleep entirely during the day. You really need to be awake for at least part of the time the sun is up. You may also need to look into light therapy.

just wonder.. do you get pay more for working graveyard shift in Retail?? Any shift differential? Or you are salaried?

beat me to the article!

it's okay though...everything causes cancer

I work over nights at CVS. It is 8pm-8am 7 on 7 off. I love it... I don't have the busy rushes(likve between 3-7). Although somedays especialy sat and sun from 8p-12 can be busy.... I have a tech until 10 pm then I am on my own until 8 am. I love it because it is stress free... I can get busy at times but it is so easy to say to someone it is going to be a while because I am the only one here. Most of the time I have no customers at all between 2-5. I do have to fill all the ready fills after i reboot the computers but when I come in at 8pm all the scripts are filled. Since they know I am not busy at night I do some of the tech jobs like wherehouse ordering, different reports, return to stock and file rxs, but i can sit down usually an average of 4 hours during my 12 hour. when i worked 14 hours during the day I didn't get to sit at all or have any breaks. THe sleeping is the hardest part... Yes i had to put tinfoil up in the bedroom windows(ghetto). Sometimes I have to take something to help me sleep... the first couple day are hard but near the end of the week I am fine. The bad part is I do get called to work a lot during my week off. But I like it, I hope I don't die because of it but hey I could die tomorrow cause some stupid person runs a red light.

I work hospital 7-on-7-off nights. I really enjoy it and expect that I will continue to do so after school. I do suggest that you block the windows or sleep in a basement room. For this I suggest the foil backed "foam board" insulation, cut to size. That way when the friends come over, you can remove the insert.

Possibly install a light switch on your front door that can turn off the doorbell, too.

Some places are quite busy overnight. Some places, nights have convinced days that they are busy when they really aren't. Don't rock the boat!