Status
Not open for further replies.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a Canadian applying to medical school this cycle. I graduated from A Bio-Medical Sciences degree program at a Canadian university last spring. I have been working in healthcare with patient contact since graduation.

Cumulative GPA - 94.75% (4.00 AMCAS calculation)

MCAT - 2 attempts --- rewrote to improve cars score (1 - 512 (130/123/130/129), 2 - 517 (130/127/132/128))

EC's:
work exp:
- 1 year working as a porter for the medical imaging department at an academic hospital. Direct contact with patients in every transport - closely working with a range or healthcare staff and COVID-19 positive patients.
- 4 years working at large hockey arena as parking attendant for events (during undergrad). promoted to parking coordinator where I lead a team of 20 attendants etc. (part time)
- 3x full time landscaping/maintenance at local waterpark/campground. Lots of leadership and initiative activities.
- 1 year working at trampoline park (during undergrad) as court monitor - safety, rule enforcement etc. (part-time)
- 1 year working as a ski lift operator (part-time)

volunteer:
- 2 years as waiting room attendant/staff support in emergency department (200 hrs)
- Human anatomy program outreach speaker (300hrs) - share cadaveric anatomy with community members (high school students to health professionals)
- 4 months volunteering in local community center serving meals + providing resources to youth and adults struggling with homelessness/addiction/poverty (~50 hrs to date, will be continuing for awhile)

Athletics:
- motocross racer (10000 hrs)- raced at multiple national chamionship events, part of sponsorship team. Planned/developed community bike nights in my region. Mentored/coached younger racers.
- Varsity rowing coxswain at university (1 year) - lead men's 8 boat to university finals. awarded rookie athlete of the year.
- unicycling (haha, i know) - competed at world championships + North american championships x2. Very important to me in terms of cultural awarness and appreciating different lifestyles.

Awards
- a few monetary awards for academic achievement, deans list 8x, 1x dean's roll of disctiction (grouped as one entry)

Hobbies
- motor vehicle restorations

Research
- 2 yrs neurophysiology research assistant at a pharmacy school
- 1 year human anatomy dissection research student (1x poster presentation, 1x teaching presentation for faculty + students)

Currently considering the following schools:
  • wayne
  • central michigan
  • michigan state
  • colorado
  • UConn
  • Upittsburg
  • new york upstate
  • rutgers
  • toledo?
  • tufts?
  • tulane
  • arizona?
Wondering if I am eligible for any texas schools for personal/familial reasons.
Also open to DO schools, thoughts?

Any feedback helps, thanks!
Arizona favors in-state and WICHE, regardless of what they say on the site even now. I think you should do your LizzyM. Add Minnesota, UConn, and Washington as they have histories of admitting Canadians.

Members don't see this ad.

Good improvement!
1 year working as a porter for the medical imaging department at an academic hospital. Direct contact with patients in every transport - closely working with a range or healthcare staff and COVID-19 positive patients.
How many hours was this?
- 2 years as waiting room attendant/staff support in emergency department (200 hrs)
What exactly did you do for this?

Thank you.

To date i’ve spent ~1500hrs in the hospital as a porter.

My role as an ER volunteer was mostly limited to acting as a mediator between the ER waiting room and nursing/admin staff in the ER. I helped to greet ambulatory patients and visitors, assist with registering for the triage progess, connect visitors with patients, and keep an eye on patients in the waiting room for the triage nursing staff. Most of my time was spent talking to patients and providing reassurance, blankets, etc.
That's a good amount of hours. Do you think you got what you needed out of these experiences to know you want to be a doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.