How is it fair....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurpleLove

The crappiest of the best.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how this is fair:

I, and many premeds, find it difficult to get good grades in classes. Whatever, challenge accepted.

But what about schools that make it ridiculously easy to get As. Isn't this setting the person up for failure?

Members don't see this ad.

Premature posting.

For example, my friend is in a Stats class and is bragging about getting a 99 on exams with an hour of studying before. I'm sick of my high school colleagues posting this kind of stuff, maybe I'm bitter.

Clearly, if she was premed, she'd have a rude awakening in medical school whereas I have a good chance of not even getting in...

I, and many premeds, find it difficult to get good grades in classes. Whatever, challenge accepted.

But what about schools that make it ridiculously easy to get As. Isn't this setting the person up for failure?
Congratulations on finding a way to make the typical, annoying "but my school is HARD!" thread into a condescending "I'm not complaining, I'm just concerned for them" post. You have truly mastered the art of the passive-aggressive premed whine.

Reactions: 52 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have been led to believe "Easy-A" schools are generally recognized and accounted for. I would assume this would place an extra emphasis on the MCAT and EC's.

Reactions: 1 user
But I'm honestly curious, how do they do. They go from never working in high school to college to MEDICAL SCHOOL?

I guess I'm just confused since this is coming from the person whose first ever SDN post lead with "I do just enough to get through the day" with regards to academic work. You've readily admitted to not working as hard as you could have.

Enough with the pity parties, SDN.

Reactions: 4 users
Life isn't fair. Build a bridge and get over it

Reactions: 19 users
Premature posting.

For example, my friend is in a Stats class and is bragging about getting a 99 on exams with an hour of studying before. I'm sick of my high school colleagues posting this kind of stuff, maybe I'm bitter.

Clearly, if she was premed, she'd have a rude awakening in medical school whereas I have a good chance of not even getting in...

So your friend is not even a pre-med? why are you comparing your course difficulty?

a) if the classes are really easy and they just get by on that without figuring out who to do work, the MCAT will probably be difficult for them
b) if they are just super smart and don't need to study much (I had friends like this in college/UG, it was frustrating), it's just always going to happen

A) stop complaining, doesn't get you anywhere in life.

B) that is why the MCAT exists. It was designed in a way that will assess to see if you have the critical thinking skills, analytical apptitude, and work ethic to succeed in the medical profession.

C) if you don't like your situation, change it, noone is stopping you. If you can't change your situation, change your attitude, otherwise you are in for a long journey.

What is with the plethora of "x isn't fair for me as a premed" threads?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Life isn't fair brah. Pretty much everyone deals with unfairness these days.

Reactions: 2 users
What is with the plethora of "x isn't fair for me as a premed" threads?
No, you see, life is being unfair to those poor people getting easy A's. They won't be as ready for med school as OP is, and OP is concerned for them, and for the patients they might end up caring for, who would be better served by doctors who went to difficult undergrads such as their own. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
No I haven't. I struggle to get Bs.

We work so hard to get into top schools so we can be beat by those who don't do ****? Lol, that's not unfair that's absurd.

No I haven't. I struggle to get Bs.
If you hit 'Reply' under the post you want to respond to, it will quote it and others will have an easier time following the conversation. I assume you are replying to the person who said you were coasting?

We work so hard to get into top schools so we can be beat by those who don't do ****? Lol, that's not unfair that's absurd.
Nope, nevermind, it's just the standard 'woe is me' mantra. And here I thought it was an extra level beyond that. My apologies for thinking the OP was at least on a new and exciting level of complaining.

Reactions: 1 users
No, no. Read some Camus, that's absurd, literally.

Reactions: 7 users
I see, yeah the MCAT usually gets them, but still. If I take classes at a cc to boost my GPA, I'll look like I'm trying to cheat the system, how is THAT fair? Their whole GPA was a boost.

Couple things...

1. Like isn't fair. Get over it.
2. There are people smarter than you. A lot of people. Get over it.
3. Some people lie about how much they study and how well they do on exams. Get over it.

Reactions: 19 users
If you worked hard to get into a top school for UG then you should continue to work hard and earn good grades. Otherwise aren't you suggesting that the UG admissions committee made a mistake admitting you ? Also, as others have mentioned the MCAT exists for a reason. That's why you see 4.0/26 combos etc. I'm not knocking those people, just saying that adcoms notice that stuff so just worry about you and doing the best you can relative to your own potential.

#2 and #3 are rarely the case, especially since these are my friends, I know them. I have browsed their blackboards.

Note to future premeds: Don't go to your dream schools, go to the crappiest one, you'll be a big fish in a small pond. Also, don't work hard in high school, you want the school that'll accept anyone.

EDIT: Yeah your right, people with 16 ACTs getting As in CC are smarter than me.

Why not just be happy that you'll be able to get honors in all your med school assessments when your ill prepared peers will struggle? Don't be gunnin' half way! :cool:

Last edited:
But no seriously, why is it looked down upon to take classes at a CC, I just want to save money?

But no seriously, why is it looked down upon to take classes at a CC, I just want to save money?
Clearly, what you want is an Easy A. Best of luck to you.

#2 and #3 are rarely the case, especially since these are my friends, I know them. I have browsed their blackboards.

Note to future premeds: Don't go to your dream schools, go to the crappiest one, you'll be a big fish in a small pond. Also, don't work hard in high school, you want the school that'll accept anyone.

EDIT: Yeah your right, people with 16 ACTs getting As in CC are smarter than me.
*you're

And if you think adcoms don't notice the difference between a B+ in an upper division course at a college for grade deflation and a community college A, then save yourself the $$$ and pursue something else. The system is capricious, but have at least a little faith.

Sorry, that's what these forums imply. Has made me regret choosing my school.

Yes, just like many premeds get. Is that wrong? Also summer classes cost 4 times as much here. I want to personally see how 'hard' they are, especially upper level ones.

I'll never make it or have to pour more money into a postbacc.

Sorry, that's what these forums imply. Has made me regret choosing my school.
The UG experience should be more than just a decision to go somewhere that pumps out 4.0 uptight pre meds. Have you not enjoyed your UG experience? If you work hard you can do well anywhere you were qualified to get into. Enjoy your time in UG because as a non trad I can tell you it goes by fast. If you don't get into med school, it's not because you went where you went. It would be because you did what you did (or didn't) during your time there.

If you cannot figure out how to use the reply function on the forum, it does not portend well for you or your GPA.

Trufax.

Reactions: 18 users
Couple things...

1. Like isn't fair. Get over it.
2. There are people smarter than you. A lot of people. Get over it.
3. Some people lie about how much they study and how well they do on exams. Get over it.

This. We can condense this to:

Get over yourself.

You'll find that if you stop taking everything personally, many things wont bother you anymore

tumblr_mxh4i2zyUn1qdsm1jo1_500.gif

Reactions: 9 users
Yes, just like many premeds get. Is that wrong? Also summer classes cost 4 times as much here. I want to personally see how 'hard' they are, especially upper level ones.

then take a summer class at a CC if you're bored and have nothing else to do so you just want to see how hard they are.

I am replying, phone app issues. Get to it SDN.

I ruined my dreams because I worked hard and am smarter. Never gonna get over that. Oh and 240k vs whatever two years at CCs cost.

I ruined my dreams because I worked hard and am smarter. Never gonna get over that.

a) there are so many people here who had low GPAs who did what they needed to get into medical school. just do what you need to do if you want it. Your dream doesn't have to be over unless you just want to give up on it.

b) I think you underestimate the fact that there are other people who go to really difficult schools and end up coming out with good GPAs and getting into medical school. TBH, it's not like everyone going more difficult schools tanks their GPA.

Reactions: 6 users
Well if admissions look down at that, then no. Or at least not for credit.

Because someone that goes to a cc for two years is not looked down at but someone who does for one class is?

measure of success is not relative to anyone , except you. Stop worrying about what others are doing and what there results are. Trust me, you will be a lot more successful by focusing truly on yourself and not worrying about others.

I have noticed a lot of my pre med colleagues who focus to much on what others are doing, and compare themselves to others. Just focus on yourself and put as much effort as you can, because in life that's the only thing you can control.

This thread is really bringing the lols

Reactions: 5 users
If you were as smart as you think are, you would have gone to an easy school.

Sucks to be a genius, huh?

Well if admissions look down at that, then no. Or at least not for credit.

Because someone that goes to a cc for two years is not looked down at but someone who does for one class is?

If you go for two years, you probably could not afford other options. If you choose to take physics at a cc as a single class, it is pretty obvious you are trying to protect your GPA. Only one of these looks bad.

I ruined my dreams because I worked hard and am smarter. Never gonna get over that. Oh and 240k vs whatever two years at CCs cost.

You keep saying that you worked hard and are smarter. If a king has to repeatedly remind everyone that he is a king, then he is not really a king at all.

As far as "it's not fair," every single class I had in undergrad was curved so that 10% of students got As. I got a 3.9. You're literally on the only forum on the internet where pretty much everybody has done the same. You might want to whine to a different crowd.

Reactions: 11 users
spend more time studying and not on sdn.
i never was on sdn until the app process
and even then it was to keep updated with when schools started interviewing and feedback for my interviews
dont just complain here though

Sigh, as somebody who went to a ****ty undergrad, I'm insulted that you think that you're better just because you go to some bigger name school. Just because a school doesn't have a big name doesn't mean that it's not held to rigorous academic standards. Stop making up stupid assumptions to make you feel better about the fact that your high school buddies are beating you now. It's cool though, the people from my high school were like that too for the first year or so until they got over themselves, which is something that you should do as well.

its not really that competitive or hard in adcoms eyes if it aint HYPS

man these threads are sdn classics lol

If you're struggling to get B's, maybe you're just not as smart as you think you are. It's a good thing to come to terms with, that there are lots of people out there that are smarter than you. Do what it takes to get A's or transfer to an "easier" school, but stop complaining about (and to) the people who are outworking you at other big schools, small schools, and CC's. Maybe your friend that pulls 99s actually studies a lot and doesn't talk about it, or maybe she's just smarter and gets the concepts quicker.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't make assumptions for schools I don't know about. I specifically said material.that I've seen. Also, if it isn't hard to get in, it probably doesn't. There would be too many Fs/bad grades and schools are rated based on graduation rate.