How is DIY postbac GPA calculated/entered on applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skaran17

Reaction score
I figure if you were to do a SMP or some sort of "official" program, there would be a separate GPA and possibly a place to enter that GPA on applications (I could be wrong). But if I am just taking classes, would my "postbac" GPA be combined with my undergrad GPA for a cumulative, or would there be a separate place to enter it?

Say if I were to get a 4.0 or close to it on my postbac coursework, but my undergrad GPA was a 3.07, would medical schools just see a 3.42 cumulative? Or would they see the 4.0 somewhere on the application as well?

Also, if cGPA is mediocre but science GPA is high, how does that look to admissions committees?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Master's grades appear on a separate line on AMCAS. They are not averaged into undergrad gpa.
Undergraduate courses taken after 4 years also appear as a separate line but they are averaged into undergrad gpa and will contribute to an upward trend (both visually and actually).

Reactions: 1 user
Master's grades appear on a separate line on AMCAS. They are not averaged into undergrad gpa.
Undergraduate courses taken after 4 years also appear as a separate line but they are averaged into undergrad gpa and will contribute to an upward trend (both visually and actually).
Okay perfect, thank you! I'd definitely fall into that "after 4 years" category then.

Members don't see this ad :)
w8 so what happens if you took 8 yrs to get ur bachelors lmao

w8 so what happens if you took 8 yrs to get ur bachelors lmao

It's a separate line after graduation, not 4 years. So In this case, years 4-8 would be "senior", and anything after that would be "postbacc".

As explained above, they count 4 years of units, not 4 years of time as the line by line undergrad record.
Wait so I'm actually curious about this.

I went to undergrad 2011-2015. Did not graduate. Joined the Army. 2020 started back with online classes to finish out my degree; finished my graduation requirements fall 2021. However, I deferred graduation in order to take advantage of financial aid for DIY postbac classes (non-science undergrad; I need to knock out all the science prereqs for med school, and I won't get TA or Pell grants if I already have a bachelor's, so I'm kind of gaming the system by choosing not to technically graduate yet).

Will my "postbac GPA" be calculated as everything from 2020 onward because of the break in time? Will it be calculated as everything after completing grad requirements (so 2022 onward)? Will I not actually have a postbac GPA because I technically haven't "graduated"?

edit to add: My postbac classes (2022 onward) are not at the same college as my bachelor's.