How impressive is getting paid/published for research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crisprandchill

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I met the PI whose lab I'm going to start working in and he mentioned that he would definitely pay me and if I wanted to do an independent project later on we could definitely talk about that, and he would support me in maybe getting it into something like PLoS. So I was super excited to hear that, but the more I look through SDN, the more I feel like it's actually common? Which is weird bc l definitely don't think it's common at my school, and had thought it was kind of impressive. Even the PLoS thing- I know it's not Cell/Nature but as an undergrad?! Is getting paid throughout the next few years more/less prestigious than something like a summer paid internship?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I met the PI whose lab I'm going to start working in and he mentioned that he would definitely pay me and if I wanted to do an independent project later on we could definitely talk about that, and he would support me in maybe getting it into something like PLoS. So I was super excited to hear that, but the more I look through SDN, the more I feel like it's actually common? Which is weird bc l definitely don't think it's common at my school, and had thought it was kind of impressive. Even the PLoS thing- I know it's not Cell/Nature but as an undergrad?! Is getting paid throughout the next few years more/less prestigious than something like a summer paid internship?

At my school it's fairly common. Anyone who wants to do a senior thesis can, and if you've been in a lab for 3+ years you're almost certainly published. It won't hurt, but plenty of med school applicants are published authors. Do research because you enjoy it and will be excited to talk about it, not because it will check a box.

At my school it's fairly common. Anyone who wants to do a senior thesis can, and if you've been in a lab for 3+ years you're almost certainly published. It won't hurt, but plenty of med school applicants are published authors. Do research because you enjoy it and will be excited to talk about it, not because it will check a box.

No definitely. I'm beyond thrilled to be working in that lab regardless of applications c:

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on authorship if you ask me. Getting your name on a paper is challenging at some school and very easy at others. Getting your name as a first as an undergrad, THAT is impressive imo. If you can do that, you are a very adept, capable scientist! I would be impressed as to this day, I have not met a pre-med with a LEGITIMATE first author publication.

Getting paid-not impressive
Getting published-impressive