How important to get ERAS app online by Sept 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to get it in that early for IM and Family?

Does submitting in mid-late September really decrease your chances with some programs?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it necessary to get it in that early for IM and Family?

Does submitting in mid-late September really decrease your chances with some programs?

Thanks.

Past experience.... submit early... get interviews... submit late... less chance to get interviews. Programs will only interview a certain number of people and if already they booked a 100, and your application is not something special then they are less likely to go after you to be the 101.

And it's okay to not have one of your LORs in when you submit?

I've got three, but still waiting on the one I really need from FM! grrrr....:mad:

I've got three, but still waiting on the one I really need from FM! grrrr....:mad:

I hear ya.. I am waiting on one myself.

The majority (if not most) programs will take LOR's after you already submit your apps on Sept. 1st. If you have to decide between submitting on 9/1 or waiting for the LOR, submit the apps on 9/1. The programs will continually download "extra" info as you submit it throughout the ERAS season. My advice would be to call your attending or stop by in person just to kindly ask him/her about the letter. I ran into this problem with a couple of my writers and they were both incredibly apologetic for not submitting them (they had asked their MA's to submit them to my school and, well, the MA's got too busy and hadn't done it...) Chances are, if they agreed to write a letter for ya, they care enough to send it, and will understand the time crunch. :)

My residency coordinator doesn't usually download applications on the 1st. That said, they do limit the number of applicatants they invite for interview- first come, first serve (after they pick you, of course).

Don't wait for the LORs. Even if you don't have any in yet, they will look at your application.

Good luck to all of you matching!

I'm in the same boat, but you can submit and afterwards worry about your getting your LORs in or even add new LOR writers after you submit your applications.

I don't have any of my LORs in yet...

My first came in 3 days ago, 1 other I can't get ahold of but I know he'll write it (since he made me promise that I'm applying to his program). But the other 1 wanted me to call him before he'd write it and yet he won't answer his phone. So I'll probably go grovel early this next week to get a back up letter just in case. so long story short, I'm probably stressing more over this than step 2 which I take this thursday.