How important is weight in AED dosing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hereticmnk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a neuro ped today for one of the studies I was involved with. He says for age 2-10 (relevant to my study, trying to exclude febrile seizures and logistically easier for me to exclude younger ages) , he likes to start of doses of AED in the 10-15% range of the maintenance dose. This seemed a tad low to me compared to the adult population. He suggested that he just used the adult mg/kd dosing for trying to figure out dosing for a lot of the AED. I presumed as much but again that is an n of 1. I was wondering if you guys in practice tend to just use a one dose fits all model for a bunch of AED in kids. UpToDate seems to agree with him, however given the dearth of literature on the subject matter, I was wanting to gauge real world practice. I am mostly interested in the big AED's like VA, Lamotrigine, PHT, CBZ and Ox-CBZ. I will soon have a drug utilization review for one of the states soon and can post my preliminary findings here if anyone is interested. Any input will be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.