How Important is the Picture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VJWDO

The End Is In Sight!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has our yearbook picture that they can scan in, but it is in black and white and they say we are allowed to send in our own personal pictures if we choose to have a better one. Is this even something that should be in my realm of concern right now? Or should I just let them send whtever they have and not worry about it? Stupid question, one answer will suffice:p

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't there research out there saying that pretty people do vastly better in their careers than ugly people? Show the pearly whites and make that picture a good one.

:cool: tooshorttoolong

my school makes a big deal out of the picture. they offer to take a professional looking picture for a few bucks. they seem to think an un-professional looking picture could really hurt your app. just my 2 cents.

my school makes a big deal out of the picture. they offer to take a professional looking picture for a few bucks. they seem to think an un-professional looking picture could really hurt your app. just my 2 cents.

So you don't think that shot of me drunk on new years eve was a good one to send in?

Seriously. I just sent my student ID pic in my white coat, it's just a head shot. Looks fine.

I remember sending in a picture of myself with Goofy at Disneyworld when I submitted my app for the MCAT. Long story short, this was not my first stab at the vile exam, and I really didn't care at that point.

If you're happy with your B&W, that's fine. Me personally, I think color shots are a little bit "warmer", and convey a different person than B&W, which may come off as a little constricted. Of course, if you're going into Path or Psych, that may be a good thing :rolleyes:

I don't think it matters. They just want a professional, simple pic of you so that they can recognize who the hell YOU are when they decide who to accept after interviews. I wouldn't stress about it too much. Our school just uploads our pics for our senior class composite.

1. "Well, at least I finally know what that singing freak is from the Quizno's commercial ...it's a teratoma! " i said the same thing!!! at least im' not the only one...

2. i had my picture taken at home - we hung up a solid colored bedsheet and took a lot of pictures - chose the best one, and photoshopped it to make it look more professional - turned out well i think. i've heard of other people doing this as well, and it's turned out well for them also.

i dont think they use the picture to actually evaluate you in anyway, i think it really is just so they can put a face/name/encounter together.

I don't think it matters. They just want a professional, simple pic of you so that they can recognize who the hell YOU are when they decide who to accept after interviews. I wouldn't stress about it too much. Our school just uploads our pics for our senior class composite.