how important is research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrub monkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a 3rd year very interested in ophtho. i was wondering how important research experience is. i was looking at a website for an ophtho program, and it listed each resident with all the papers and presentations they had done. it looked like every resident had at least one paper or presentation. i was wondering because i have no papers, no presentations, and no research experience :(

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the rest of your application is strong and you have no gross deficiencies or red flags, you should be fine. I can only assume that you were looking at a fairly "academic" program that is interested in producing "academic" ophthalmologists or future chairs of departments. So if you'd like to go to one of these programs I guess you have no choice but to play by their rules. I think as long as you go to a solid program be it clinical based or academic...you'll be ok anything to add...OphthMuDPhuD??

Jason Park MS-IV
NSU-COM

thanks for the reply!

the program was umdnj
http://www.umdnj.edu/eyeweb/resident/resident.htm

it seems like most ophtho programs are pretty academic, since most are university programs.

i'm been thinking about doing a 4th year ophtho research elective. it's only a month long. how much do you think one can get done in a one month elective? a case report? a paper? just experience? (i'm very interested in ophtho, but not ready to take a year off for ophtho research)