How important is course rigor vs GPA? Should I drop my only science class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoScoutNoPivot

Reaction score
I am a current senior prepping to apply next year. I have finished all my med school prereqs and am only taking classes to fulfill my major requirements now. If I am trying to be the most competitive applicant I can right now, is it a good idea to drop my only bio class this semester because I will most likely receive a B in it? Dropped courses at my school don't show up on transcripts, so my main worry would be adcoms noticing I am not taking any upper division Biology classes this semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter. A B would lower your GPA to, what, a 3.91? Nobody is going to look too closely at the rigor of your courses with a high GPA.

If this course REALLY is completely meaningless to you and you don't need it for graduation, then dropping would be fine. If dropping means you would need to take another science course in the spring, then I would probably just take the B because avoiding the B isn't worth the effort of doing an extra science course in the spring and hoping to get an A. Because again, the difference in GPA is meaningless, and if you insist on looking at this from a pragmatic point of view your time can likely be spent in a way that will enhance your app more than a 0.05 difference in GPA.

Reactions: 5 users