How hard is the OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATtaker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken the MCAT before and studied pretty well for it. How is the OAT? Lots more science facts to know? More optics/lens/physics Q's on the test? Can anyone give a comparisan?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I personally have not taken the MCAT but I know many people who took the MCAT prior to taking the OAT. From what I know I can tell you that the MCAT is much more difficult and rigorous than the OAT. If you were able to handle the MCAT then you should be absolutely fine for the OAT (esp since you say you studied well). Review for the OAT should be relatively simple for you since you've already studied for the MCAT. The OAT is probably half as long as the MCAT and it has only four major sections: 1-Natural Sciences (which includes 100 questions on the biological sciences, organic chemistry, and general chem) 2-Reading Comprehension (which includes 50 questions on three different passages) 3-Physics (which includes 45-50 questions on basic physics principals) and 4-Quantititative reasoning (which includes about 50 questions). Anyways to conclude, although you must review for the OAT, it is definitely an easier test than the MCAT. Hopefully this information helps you. Good Luck!

I took both, and I don't know if the OAT is a lot easier. It was easier, but I would not say it was a piece of cake. In comparison, I did do better on the OAT, but I had already studied for the MCAT. That makes me think I was just more prepared. As far as length, it is shorter, but there is a reason: 1. no essay section 2. no lunch. That cuts off about 2 hours. Although your MCAT prep will have really helped you, get an OAT book. They are made by different people so the questions are worded differently and you need to get use to it.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I found the OAT easier than the MCAT especially since it was weighed heavily in mathematics and physics (fields that I studied and had worked in prior to taking these exams). I also found the MCAT more rigorous overall in the biology and reading sections. It took a lot more stamina to get through these sections. The OAT is not easy, but it is easier than the MCAT. They are different styles of test.

Out of curiosity, for those who've taken both the OAT and MCAT, why did you take both. I'm using MCAT materials to study for the OAT, so I am actually thinking of taking both as well...

Arent both the OAT and MCAT based on standard deviations. So even though OAT is easier, one's score might not be necessarily better than his or her MCAT score?

You are right, even if the OAT is easier, you still have to get more correct than everyone else to get an above average score.