How hard is NECO to get into?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apple487

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,
I had alot of questions about NECO because I really want to go there for opt school but my science and cumalitive gpa is below 3.0 i know its really bad but i just want to do i have any chance in getting into that school or any school for that matter??? Cus i still need to take my oats im planning on taking that in july and applying in aug/sept is that a good idea??

please help im really new at this and i have no clue as to what to do =/

thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure it's the best idea to rush to apply just for the sake of applying.. it's probably in your best interest to bring up your gpas to above a 3.0 and get some experience through research/shadowing/work. Check opted to see NECO's profile when it comes to GPA and OAT scores. Also, like you said, you're kind of new at this, so maybe doing some research and reading about optometry in general may help. It's great that you kind of have a schedule, but you might need to push it back a little.

Here is the link for you:
http://www.opted.org/pdf/Profile2007EnteringClass.pdf

Have you taken most of the science prerequisites for Optometric School?
If yes - go ahead and take some practice OAT tests & see how you do.
Do not take the OAT without taking the basic science prerequisites.
You might want to consider retaking some classes to help raise your gpa
(dont worry I am also probably going to have to retake 1-2 science classes)

I think you should take your OATs first and then decide. If your OAT ends up being pretty high (ie. 350+) then you can possibly get through and explain why your gpa is so low. But if you score low on the OAT(ie. >330), then you REALLY need to boost your gpa AND OAT score to have a good chance for NECO.