How Hard is it to get into a MD program in Poland ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kazien

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that almost anyone can get into a 6 yr MD program in Poland ?
I was told that u don't need biology or chemistry from high school if u have a university degree of any sort....does anyone know if this is true ?

Members don't see this ad.

ewwww, this is a tough position to be into.
i would NOT recomend going into med school without the basic premed courses. you will drown in the first semester with biochem. maybe you can memorize things pretty well. however, you need to understand the concepts to be able to pass the usmle. you need a basic background to learn the concepts.

now i would seriously check the usmle pass rates for students there that went in with no premed courses. if they cant pass the test but some how passed their classes, then i think dr. cuts is right and they pass you as long as you pay.

good luck and remember that the golden standard are the usmle pass rates.

aucgrad110 said:
now i would seriously check the usmle pass rates for students there that went in with no premed courses. if they cant pass the test but some how passed their classes, then i think dr. cuts is right and they pass you as long as you pay.

good luck and remember that the golden standard are the usmle pass rates.

I have yet to see a believable statistic for first time USMLE pass rates at ANY European school. If anyone knows of one, please feel free to post along with the web address.

(BTW, there are only a handful of schools in the Carib. whose statistics I believe.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, miklos....to my knowledge, none or not many european schools display USMLE statistics. Why, you may ask? Because they do not cater to American students !!! It'd be like expecting US schools to display their PLAB statistics. There are certain groups for places that relatively a lot of north american students go to (eg. Ireland) that may be able to help you. If you want, you can email and see if you find out from Atlantic Bridge (www.atlanticbridge.com) what the statistics are for the Irish schools. They tell us that the US grads have a 95% pass rate (USMLE) and 100% match rate.

leorl said:
Um, miklos....to my knowledge, none or not many european schools display USMLE statistics. Why, you may ask? Because they do not cater to American students !!! It'd be like expecting US schools to display their PLAB statistics. There are certain groups for places that relatively a lot of north american students go to (eg. Ireland) that may be able to help you. If you want, you can email and see if you find out from Atlantic Bridge (www.atlanticbridge.com) what the statistics are for the Irish schools. They tell us that the US grads have a 95% pass rate (USMLE) and 100% match rate.

Thanks for the link. I will follow-up on that. 95% first time pass rate sounds a bit high, though.

Also, all the European four year programs cater to North American students. These are found prinicipally in Poland. Six year programs (there and elsewhere) do not necessarily "cater" to North American students, but many of them actively market to students from the US and Canada.

Oh, okay. I don't really know too much about programs say in Poland or budapest or those european schools. I don't think the German or Swedish 4 yr. programs would cater to americans, but again, I don't know too much about those either. UK 4 yr. programs definitely don't, but I suppose you can separate UK/Irish English-speaking european from european in the strict sense of being on the actual european continent :)

The atlantic bridge stuff is high, but keep in mind that it's a reflection of US students because only north american students go through Atlantic Bridge. They know what they have to do to get back to the US, so will do so. It doesn't take into account Irish students or other international students who study in Irish schools who take the USMLE, although they generally do pretty well too.

I'm sort of apprehensive about people who want to get into medical school via the "easiest possible route". Prereq's and cutoffs for gpa's and standardized testing (ie. mcat, gamsat etc...) are there for reason: to distinguish those are ready for medical school, and those who are not.
My point is, if you are going to head abroad, do chose a school which will prepare you well; especially if you want to return to the US. For europe, it all comes to down anecdotal evidence and reputation.

In conclusion: avoid choosing a school for "how hard it is to get into" but rather how well will it prepare you for your medical career...

Choda said:
I'm sort of apprehensive about people who want to get into medical school via the "easiest possible route". Prereq's and cutoffs for gpa's and standardized testing (ie. mcat, gamsat etc...) are there for reason: to distinguish those are ready for medical school, and those who are not.
My point is, if you are going to head abroad, do chose a school which will prepare you well; especially if you want to return to the US. For europe, it all comes to down anecdotal evidence and reputation.

In conclusion: avoid choosing a school for "how hard it is to get into" but rather how well will it prepare you for your medical career...

Sure.

Keep in mind that many European medical schools operate on a different principle. Getting into one is relatively easy, advancing and getting a diploma is a whole different matter.

If you want to join a Portuguese medical school, your task won't be that easy, they require grades about 9.2 out of 10. It's easier in Spain (7.12).