How goes the first week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finally M3

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in Peds. It wouldn't be all that bad...except we have to see all the consults on the service. Lots of them tend to pile up over a holiday weekend, no? I'm finally caught up, just in time for admissions tomorrow :laugh:

I guess I should start reading tomorrow now I'm a rehab doc, huh? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

I kinda lucked out - I'm on therapy/coverage month. I follow around PT/OT/ST people all day. No coverage since we PGY2s take no call during the month of July - NADA. Didn't have to work on the 4th either. Next month, I'm on out pt clinics, then 12 months consecutive in patient.

This place is kind of weird since there's Northwestern University, Northwestern Memorial Hospital (McGaw Medical Center), and RIC - all with different computer systems, email addresses, and idiosyncracies. I've been getting to know the helpdesk people at all three places very well.

Our lectures are excellent although many of the abbreviations, etc. are going over my head. I'm a bit scared about anatomy - I haven't set foot in an anatomy lab since 1st yr of med school!

I feel a bit out of place and I'm sure it'll take me a while to get used to this whole thing...

I mean, pt has chest pain, as an intern, you get an EKG, troponins, nitro, and put them on telemetry and O2 -> here, if your suspicion is high enough for a cardiac cause that you would consider getting troponins, you send them to the ER. It's weird - but it was explained to me that it doesn't mean you can't handle it. They just don't have the acute care resources - i.e. advanced nurses, telemetry, etc. to handle the situation.

Going for ACLS and PALS next weekend... The PALS part scares me. :scared: :scared:

How's everyone else's week going?

Hey Axm!

I'm on SCI in your program...enjoy your 1st 2 months of relaxation....started to get the basics of Meditech down! The 1st few weeks will be a steep learning curve and I feel like a scut monkey so far. Hoping to have a great year, though. Good luck to all.

MSK