How exactly does this work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobuckeyes95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm applying to post bacc programs in the spring because my GPA is somewhat weak (3.25, science...somewhat lower) and I didn't have time to take my MCAT being that I finished biochem in August and the last date was a month later. I am currently a senior microbiology major at Ohio state. In your opinion, is it better to enroll in a post bacc program that has a direct linkage to a medical school (i.e. One that is hosted through a college of medicine and offers an interview upon completion) or a special masters that is not linked through a medical school? If you enroll in one that is linked to a college of medicine, can you apply to other places? Forgive me if these questions seem silly..i am pretty novice to the whole Thing even after calling a few admissions offices.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

3.25 is not bad mine was lower and my sGPA lower than my cGPA but would definitely recommend taking the MCAT prior to your post-bacc or after it. Up to you. But make sure to kill it and don't take it if you're not ready.

As for linkages, I'm not sure how many post-baccs have true linkages anymore to their med schools. I'm at VCU's CERT program and with a MCAT > 505 and GPA (in the postbacc) > 3.5 you get an automatic interview and you can apply elsewhere even if you accept the guaranteed interview. Would definitely research about all the programs available (I personally appplied to GTown, EVMS, Boston MAMS, and VCU based on reputation) to make sure you are picking the program that works for you. I'm instate so VCU was appealing for me and so far I like the program because what you put in is what you get out of it and they're all very nice and helpful and really do want you to get into med school but they're not going to hold your hand. You definitely have to take initiative. Professors are all nice and willing to help you succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

3.25 is not bad mine was lower and my sGPA lower than my cGPA but would definitely recommend taking the MCAT prior to your post-bacc or after it. Up to you. But make sure to kill it and don't take it if you're not ready.

As for linkages, I'm not sure how many post-baccs have true linkages anymore to their med schools. I'm at VCU's CERT program and with a MCAT > 505 and GPA (in the postbacc) > 3.4 you get an automatic interview and you can apply elsewhere even if you accept the guaranteed interview. Would definitely research about all the programs available (I personally appplied to GTown, EVMS, Boston MAMS, and VCU based on reputation) to make sure you are picking the program that works for you. I'm instate so VCU was appealing for me and so far I like the program because what you put in is what you get out of it and they're all very nice and helpful and really do want you to get into med school but they're not going to hold your hand. You definitely have to take initiative. Professors are all nice and willing to help you succeed.
Thank you so much! my practice materials thus far predict me at a 507 so...hopefully that goes up. Im probably going to apply to VCU too! I've looked into their program and it sounds very promising

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! my practice materials thus far predict me at a 507 so...hopefully that goes up. Im probably going to apply to VCU too! I've looked into their program and it sounds very promising

Let me know if you have any questions about VCU's post bacc and I can answer any questions. 507 is a good point to be at! Keep working hard at it and I'm sure you'll get to your target score

Let me know if you have any questions about VCU's post bacc and I can answer any questions. 507 is a good point to be at! Keep working hard at it and I'm sure you'll get to your target score

Why did you choose VCU over the others? For example, what specifically about VCU appealed to you more than, say, Georgetown?

Why did you choose VCU over the others? For example, what specifically about VCU appealed to you more than, say, Georgetown?

A couple of factors definitely played into it.
1. Financial - VCU's tuition (28,000) is much cheaper than Georgetown's (50,000) as I am a Virginia Resident. Coupled with rent/living situations. My friend attends the Georgetown program and he pays ~$1000 to live with 6 others whereas I pay less than $800 all in to live with one other person in an upscale apartment close to classes. Especially because I know if I am planning on becoming a doctor, I wanted to save some money at the post-bacc level and I'll have more financial flexibility when choosing a Med School.
2. Academic - I graduated with a poor GPA (~3) and I believed that the curriculum of the two definitely were comparable. Hard enough to prove I've fixed my mistakes yet manageable enough to do well if you put in the work/time. At VCU you are not taking classes with medical school students like at Georgetown. There are pros and cons to that. A pro being that your grade isn't based on a curve that the Med School Students can mess up. A con is that many schools like a postbacc to be on the curve with MS students. But the faculty that teaches our classes are the same medical school faculty so it's not like we are getting easier classes/tests. (Note: VCU's classes are not based on a curve at all, so it truly shows if you do well how much work you put in to get the grade)
3. Reputation - From my understanding Georgetown is more reputable than VCU in terms of the Post-Bacc (information from scouring the threads on here) but I still believe that according to Dr. Midlife VCU is one of the more reputable post-baccs/SMP in the country due to its longstanding nature. So I believed that despite choosing a program that wasn't the most reputable, VCU has done a good job pushing candidates into it's own Medical School and others. After being in Richmond for a while, every Med School student I have talked to knows about the program and knows a few people who are in the VCU Med School because of it.
4. Guarantee - VCU guarantees you an interview if you perform in the program (>505 MCAT and >3.5 CERT GPA) so I knew that if I put in work I am guaranteed something tangible whereas there were no guarantees in the other programs I was considering.
5. Personal - I have many friends at VCU, as well as my girlfriend, and I have been to Richmond many times. The transition into Richmond was easy due to this and it also prevented me from having to deal with a long distance relationship so I could focus on school.

Last edited:
1. Financial - VCU's tuition (28,000) is much cheaper than Georgetown's (50,000) as I am a Virginia Resident. Coupled with rent/living situations. My friend attends the Georgetown program and he pays ~$1000 to live with 6 others whereas I pay less than $800 all in to live with one other person in an upscale apartment close to classes. Especially because I know if I am planning on becoming a doctor, I wanted to save some money at the post-bacc level and I'll have more financial flexibility when choosing a Med School.
2. Academic - I graduated with a poor GPA (~3) and I believed that the curriculum of the two definitely were comparable. Hard enough to prove I've fixed my mistakes yet manageable enough to do well if you put in the work/time. At VCU you are not taking classes with medical school students like at Georgetown. There are pros and cons to that. A pro being that your grade isn't based on a curve that the Med School Students can mess up. A con is that many schools like a postbacc to be on the curve with MS students. But the faculty that teaches our classes are the same medical school faculty so it's not like we are getting easier classes/tests. (Note: VCU's classes are not based on a curve at all, so it truly shows if you do well how much work you put in to get the grade)
3. Reputation - From my understanding Georgetown is more reputable than VCU in terms of the Post-Bacc (information from scouring the threads on here) but I still believe that according to Dr. Midlife VCU is one of the more reputable post-baccs/SMP in the country due to its longstanding nature. So I believed that despite choosing a program that wasn't the most reputable, VCU has done a good job pushing candidates into it's own Medical School and others. After being in Richmond for a while, every Med School student I have talked to knows about the program and knows a few people who get into Med School because of it.
4. Guarantee - VCU guarantees you an interview if you perform in the program (>505 MCAT and >3.5 CERT GPA) so I knew that if I put in work I am guaranteed something tangible whereas there were no guarantees in the other programs I was considering.
5. Personal - I have many friends at VCU, as well as my girlfriend, and I have been to Richmond many times. The transition into Richmond was easy due to this and it also prevented me from having to deal with a long distance relationship so I could focus on school.

SMP stands for special masters program. VCU Cert is not a SMP. You don’t earn a graduate degree.

1. Financial - VCU's tuition (28,000) is much cheaper than Georgetown's (50,000) as I am a Virginia Resident.

Being a certificate program and not a degree-granting program means no Federal loans for this program right?

SMP stands for special masters program. VCU Cert is not a SMP. You don’t earn a graduate degree.

You are correct. There is an optional 2nd year where you can earn a masters so not sure if that is relevant.

Being a certificate program and not a degree-granting program means no Federal loans for this program right?

I’m fortunate to have financial support from my parents but I know many of my friends did take out loans. But not sure if it was federal or not

Per Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

"Am I eligible for a Direct Subsidized Loan or a Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
To receive either type of loan, you must be enrolled at least half-time at a school that participates in the Direct LoanProgram. Generally, you must also be enrolled in a program that leads to a degree or certificate awarded by the school. Direct Subsidized Loans are available only to undergraduate students who have financial need. Direct Unsubsidized Loans are available to both undergraduates and graduate or professional degree students. You are not required to show financial need to receive a Direct Unsubsidized Loan."

Definitely do your homework though, as I have come across programs that are not eligible for federal loans.