How easy is the Carribean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChadC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the way a few ppl on here talk about it, the Carribean med schools seem to be a fall back for pre-meds. Can anyone with a 3.0 and over GPA and low to mediocre mcat's go the CI and become a MD? Are you stuck with being a proctologist ;) or family practice MD if you go to a CI school?

Members don't see this ad.

ChadC said:
From the way a few ppl on here talk about it, the Carribean med schools seem to be a fall back for pre-meds. Can anyone with a 3.0 and over GPA and low to mediocre mcat's go the CI and become a MD? Are you stuck with being a proctologist ;) or family practice MD if you go to a CI school?

Carribean schools are easy to get INTO, but the good ones will make it just as hard to get out of as US med schools. The carribean schools that are as easy to get out of as it was to get into (i.e very low standards) are typically not going to give you the preparation for the boards. There is not 'easy' way through med school, someway along the way, you have to work hard. As for matching, typically, carribean grads will have a harder time matching into anything outside of primary care. It's because as an international medical graduate, you will probably not get first pick on your choice of residency, but as long as you pass your boards and your classes at reputable carribean school, you will most likely match into something.

There is also a high attrition rate. Something like 800 start, only 200 graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taurus,

That is not the Caribbean school's fault. The attrition rate is due to the fact that most students who enter Caribbean schools are not as academically prepared as those who enter U.S. schools. The Caribbean schools are basically saying, "Here is your 2nd chance. Prove everyone wrong." Most people cannot all of a sudden become a great academic student and the Caribbean schools give them a way to close out their dreams.

ChadC said:

You are not stuck choosing an uncompetitive residency; however, if you don't, plan on one-uping the U.S. M.D. students. All things being equal MOST residencies will take a U.S. med student first. To compete, plan on getting better than average board scores for your specialty and do an extracurricular better than others. Say the average dermatologist does 2 months of research at an IVY league school. You will have a hard time matching that situation, so one-up it. Instead take a year off and do research/volunteer in another country working to eliminate skin diseases (the flesh eating virus or something - just an idea). You will have to sell yourself a lot more!

ChadC said:
Are you stuck with being a proctologist

I wish! "Proctologists" are Colon and Rectal surgeons. A fairly competetive FELLOWSHIP (Great life style) after you complete a General Surgery residency! :)

As leukocyte said, Proctologists are colorectal surgeons and it is a very competitive field.
I also don't believe that volunteering overseas will help you as most PD are looing for US Clinical or Reasearch experience.
I know one IMG who got into Ophthalmology by doing 2 years of research in an Eye Institute, got published, then got accepted in an ophthalmology residency program.

There is an osteopathic "proctology" residency program that's 2 years after internship that focuses on colorectal care. I think it's mostly limited to hemorrhoids and cancer screening. I believe there is only 1 spot, and it's the only program. Otherwise, proctology is just the old name for colorectal surgery.

Go podiatric!

Leukocyte said:
I wish! "Proctologists" are Colon and Rectal surgeons. A fairly competetive FELLOWSHIP (Great life style) after you complete a General Surgery residency! :)

I'm friends w/ a proctologist and he has a great lifestyle for a "surgeon". He always jokes w/ people telling them he finished last in med school, so that's why he's a butt doctor. He went to a med school in Granada.

Is there any online source that lists the requirements of different CI schools?

ChadC said:
I'm friends w/ a proctologist and he has a great lifestyle for a "surgeon". He always jokes w/ people telling them he finished last in med school, so that's why he's a butt doctor. He went to a med school in Granada.

Is there any online source that lists the requirements of different CI schools?

The requirements are on the website. man its been a while since I've posted on this site.

dogdayafternoon said:
Taurus,

That is not the Caribbean school's fault. The attrition rate is due to the fact that most students who enter Caribbean schools are not as academically prepared as those who enter U.S. schools. The Caribbean schools are basically saying, "Here is your 2nd chance. Prove everyone wrong." Most people cannot all of a sudden become a great academic student and the Caribbean schools give them a way to close out their dreams.

I think that's letting Caribbean schools off the hook. I think your reason mostly explains the high attrition rate but not all of it. To simply blame the students for being inadequate is too simplistic of an explanation. I hear Caribbean students compare the big 3 with DO schools in terms of entrance statistics yet DO schools have far far lower attrition rates than these schools. And DO schools have respectable entrance stats albeit lower than M.D. schools. I don't think you can accurately state that the ones who dropped out didn't deserve to be in medical school in the first place. It's easy to say that the 25% of students who drop out each semester were incapable of handling medical school. I find that difficult to believe. Can you honestly say the quality of instruction and resources are on par with U.S. schools? I hear Caribbean students complain all the time how easy U.S. students have it. Can you honestly say Caribbean schools do everything they can to insure students do not fail our like U.S. schools? Do they offer remediation plans, exams or deceleration programs? Let's not kid ourselves, U.S. schools will not let students fail. We all know Caribbean schools do not bend over backwards to insure their students remain at their schools like U.S. schools. I'm not trying to start a flame war but let's be a little more realistic. Caribbean schools are not exactly "user friendly" when it comes to medical education. The students who do endure these schools often have to compensate for a lack of features that are commonly found in U.S. schools. Let's not deny this. Caribbean students will profess how they are especially proud of their degree considering the greater obstacles they had to endure versus U.S. students. I don't think they were just talking about the hurricanes.

esposo said:
The students who do endure these schools often have to compensate for a lack of features that are commonly found in U.S. schools.

What features are they deprived of, and why in the world would they not want students in decelerated programs? That should be easy money for a school if they can get an extra year of tuition out of a student.

thanks
chad

Members don't see this ad :)
ChadC said:
What features are they deprived of, and why in the world would they not want students in decelerated programs? That should be easy money for a school if they can get an extra year of tuition out of a student.

thanks
chad

1. Some schools don't have cadavers and use prosected sections in their anatomy labs (St. Matthews). Others don't have suturing,ALS certification and intubation labs on their campuses (All Caribbean schools).

2. Why would they prefer a decelerated student over a full-time student? Decelerated students repeat classes so they occupy a seat of an entering student the following year. They don't pay full tution since their classes are spread out over 5 years. Why would you let someone decel when you can just kick them out and admit a new student that pays full tuition each year especially when you admit students 3 times per year. If you were running a for-profit private school that doesn't receive large endowments, what would you do? The question you should have asked is "why in the world would you allow students to decelerate?" Try again

esposo said:
The question you should have asked is "why in the world would you allow students to decelerate?" Try again

thanks for informing me. I thought they would have paid full tuition for an extra year, now I know. :idea:

esposo said:
1. Some schools don't have cadavers and use prosected sections in their anatomy labs (St. Matthews). Others don't have suturing,ALS certification and intubation labs on their campuses (All Caribbean schools).

Just to clarify: I can't speak as far as any of the other carib.schools are concerned, but at Ross...
1. cadavers are used (students responsible for dissections)
2. ALS/BLS/ACLS certification occurs during our fifth semester ( intro. to clinical medicine ) while in Miami.
3. Workshops on suturing and intubation are offered on the island through both the Salybia mission group, and the ER club. I think the anatomy dept. may also hold some workshops. Intubation is gone over again in the fifth semester.

Hi all,

what are my chances of getting into SGU or ROSS with a 3.9 from UCI in chemistry but an MCAT of 25O (10/11/4(VR)). Is the 4 going to kill me. Plus I have 1 year research and some clinical???????????

It would be great to know now. I am totally new to schools in the carribean since I was surprised/SHOCKED by my VR section score. Also, to be honest with you guys I am a bit scared about going through the process in that the MCAT has almost scarred me for life about such tests and that no matter what I do my reading comp. wont be too great. With that said then shouln't that mean I will have trouble with USMLE's or are these more knowledge based. Thanks a million.

uknowwhoitis said:
Hi all,

what are my chances of getting into SGU or ROSS with a 3.9 from UCI in chemistry but an MCAT of 25O (10/11/4(VR)). Is the 4 going to kill me. Plus I have 1 year research and some clinical???????????

It would be great to know now. I am totally new to schools in the carribean since I was surprised/SHOCKED by my VR section score. Also, to be honest with you guys I am a bit scared about going through the process in that the MCAT has almost scarred me for life about such tests and that no matter what I do my reading comp. wont be too great. With that said then shouln't that mean I will have trouble with USMLE's or are these more knowledge based. Thanks a million.

Wow! I'm not sure what happened with the VR, but if I were you I would take some time off and study for the MCAT again. I don't believe your premise that "no matter what I do my reading comp. wont be too great". It may be a challenge and require a whole lot of work, but you can improve it. You are going to have to if you want to survive medical school. Besides, with your GPA and scores for the other sections, you should really be going after a US school. Carribean schools are pretty much a last resort. I know, I'm headed there myself. Best of luck to you. :)

Hey guys,
I was wondering if the MD that you get from caribbean schools is pretty much the SAME thing as the kind from the US. For example, once youve graduated and you start WORKING in which ever field you choose, will you have a tag on you if your from sgu or ross. The reason why I ask is because someone told me that in Texas a while back they stopped letting caribbean med graduates practice for one year. Pretty much, how stable is the MD obtained from the caribbean as opposed to one obtained from the US? Thanks

And M.D. is an M.D. Once you have obtained an ACGME residency, it does not matter which school you come from. Aprooximately 40% of general practitioners in the states are IMG's. Yes, this is true and posted as stats in a report on the AMA website.

Fellowships shall look at what residency program you attended, not which school you are from. It is primarily during clinical clerkships (3rd and 4th year) that one feels any stigma as they work alongside their American counterparts. And on that, all I have to say is that it is up to you if you want to have a stigma.

SUSOM is providing me with a very good education, and I know my stuff - I do not feel any stigma coming from here. I am a medical student.

esposo said:

2. Why would they prefer a decelerated student over a full-time student? Decelerated students repeat classes so they occupy a seat of an entering student the following year. They don't pay full tution since their classes are spread out over 5 years. Why would you let someone decel when you can just kick them out and admit a new student that pays full tuition each year especially when you admit students 3 times per year. If you were running a for-profit private school that doesn't receive large endowments, what would you do? The question you should have asked is "why in the world would you allow students to decelerate?" Try again

What does suturing and ALS and Cadavers have to do with anything? These thing really do not matter at all while in Basic Science. The first two I mentioned I have done and make no difference at all in my education and are taught in clinicals anyway, so yes the Caribbean schools "teach" them just in years 3 and 4. As far as cadavers, uh there is a move to prosected cadvers or none at all across the medical world, it is felt by some that there is too much time wasted on "Hacking away" at the cadavers. But I feel there is some benifit to having them.

Yes it is the students fault, they come to medical school in the Caribbean thinking it is easy and party a lot and do not study. Then they expect to just get a pass. How is not studying the schools fault? The same material is taught in these schools same as the US.

But of course you attend a Caribbean medschool like me right?

uknowwhoitis said:
Hey guys,
I was wondering if the MD that you get from caribbean schools is pretty much the SAME thing as the kind from the US. For example, once youve graduated and you start WORKING in which ever field you choose, will you have a tag on you if your from sgu or ross. The reason why I ask is because someone told me that in Texas a while back they stopped letting caribbean med graduates practice for one year. Pretty much, how stable is the MD obtained from the caribbean as opposed to one obtained from the US? Thanks

Never heard of such a thing? How can they stop a Dr. from practicing? I think it is a myth. MD grad from one of the big 4 is fine as, once you get a residency your on your way to full Lic.

oldpro said:
Never heard of such a thing? How can they stop a Dr. from practicing? I think it is a myth. MD grad from one of the big 4 is fine as, once you get a residency your on your way to full Lic.

Thanks guys. THis was one of my last concerns. Because, someone told me that a degree from such schools might be "unstable" and they might stop allowing such degrees in the future. Thanks

uknowwhoitis said:
Thanks guys. THis was one of my last concerns. Because, someone told me that a degree from such schools might be "unstable" and they might stop allowing such degrees in the future. Thanks

Near future like 5 to 6 years Uh no, 10 to 20 maybe but I doubt it. but that is for future grads then not the ones now, so if you go to school now and grad you would not be affected.

WIll be grandfathered. Forever.

ChadC said:
Carib schools EASY TO GET INTO, a B*TCH to get out of and a BIGGER B*TCH TO GET A TOP RESIDENCY. So NO there is no EASY WAY to get an MD and practice in the US!

esposo said:
I think that's letting Caribbean schools off the hook. I think your reason mostly explains the high attrition rate but not all of it. To simply blame the students for being inadequate is too simplistic of an explanation. I hear Caribbean students compare the big 3 with DO schools in terms of entrance statistics yet DO schools have far far lower attrition rates than these schools. And DO schools have respectable entrance stats albeit lower than M.D. schools. I don't think you can accurately state that the ones who dropped out didn't deserve to be in medical school in the first place. It's easy to say that the 25% of students who drop out each semester were incapable of handling medical school. I find that difficult to believe. Can you honestly say the quality of instruction and resources are on par with U.S. schools? I hear Caribbean students complain all the time how easy U.S. students have it. Can you honestly say Caribbean schools do everything they can to insure students do not fail our like U.S. schools? Do they offer remediation plans, exams or deceleration programs? Let's not kid ourselves, U.S. schools will not let students fail. We all know Caribbean schools do not bend over backwards to insure their students remain at their schools like U.S. schools. I'm not trying to start a flame war but let's be a little more realistic. Caribbean schools are not exactly "user friendly" when it comes to medical education. The students who do endure these schools often have to compensate for a lack of features that are commonly found in U.S. schools. Let's not deny this. Caribbean students will profess how they are especially proud of their degree considering the greater obstacles they had to endure versus U.S. students. I don't think they were just talking about the hurricanes.

Hey smart guy, can you tell me what the cost of educating a medical student is in the U.S. on top of tuition? Since you can't I'll give you an idea. It' approximately 1 million dollars in the state of Florida and similar elsewhere.

With the Tax payers putting in that much money into your educations it's highly unlikely that your or your buddies will slip through the cracks.

Guess how much it costs to educate a caribbean med student on top of tuition? Nothing. In order to be profitable caribbean schools do several things, accelerate the program and increase class sizes consequently lowering admissions standards to ensure they are filling up classes. Of course a caribbean student will not have access to as many resources per capita as a U.S. student will.

Yeah it doesn't sound that great but hey neither does draining state and federal reserves to have some nice rosy teeny tiny attrition rate.

Here's something to think about: The top 4 have similar USMLE pass rates to the U.S. national average which means they surpass many schools on the lower end of the mainland spectrum. For this reason I would argue that a caribbean student who has less personal attention during the basic sciences and less resources has to work harder to make the grade. I'd prefer to make due with less and graduate being that much more resilient than, being artificially weakened by having unneccessary amenities afforded to me. I mean after 4 years your medical school is no longer your medical school but you're still you.

I'd appreciate it if you had a little respect for your future colleagues. You know the one's who didn't have the superfluous and rather dubious safety net of decelerative and remedial programs to fall back on while in medical school.

If realism is what you're after then here's a nice big slice of it.

utorontograd said:
Hey smart guy, can you tell me what the cost of educating a medical student is in the U.S. on top of tuition? Since you can't I'll give you an idea. It' approximately 1 million dollars in the state of Florida and similar elsewhere.

Hey smart guy, not all medical schools in the United States are public. Private medical schools are not subsidized by the government just like caribbean schools. Granted, private medical schools survive on an array of other factors like alumni donations, affiliated hospitals and research grants. But their goal is not to profit.

In order to be profitable caribbean schools do several things, accelerate the program and increase class sizes consequently lowering admissions standards to ensure they are filling up classes. Of course a caribbean student will not have access to as many resources per capita as a U.S. student will.

That's the point you are missing genius. Medical schools in the United States are non-profit. The Caribbean schools are for-profit schools and are seeking to maximize profit after paying expenses. It's in their best interest to minimize their expenses(resources) and maximize their revenue(admit a ton of students) They are not concerned with your well-being or education. U.S. schools both public and private are non-profit organizations. Their purpose is to eduate students not to generate profit. Caribbean schools can afford better resources and are capable of providing more but since they are for-profit, it's not in their interest to solely meet expenses. And like with any for-profit business, the goal is to maximize profits. You really think Ross wouldn't profit if they hired better professors? They would still profit but they wouldn't profit as much as hiring a cheaper professor.

Yeah it doesn't sound that great but hey neither does draining state and federal reserves to have some nice rosy teeny tiny attrition rate.

Don't you mean high attrition rates. A tiny attrition rate would mean the school is losing students. Please look up words before attempting to appear intelligent. The attrition rate is high at U.S. schools because they do a better job of screening candidates in addition to providing better resources (teaching, facilities etc.) If caribbean schools provided better resources, more of their students wouldn't flunk out. Federal and state reserves have nothing to do with this.

Here's something to think about: The top 4 have similar USMLE pass rates to the U.S. national average which means they surpass many schools on the lower end of the mainland spectrum.

Before you continue to rant about nothing, please remember that

1. The top 4 weed out a significant portion of their entering class so that only the most competent students are allowed to sit for the USMLE. And even the ones who are still enrolled at the school must usually pass a school-imposed exam before being granted the opportunity to sit for the exam.

2. U.S. graduates have only 4-6 weeks outside of class to prepare for the USMLE. IMG's spend anywhere from 3-6 months preparing for the USMLE since they go all year round. It's not fair to comare two groups in regards to a pass rate if one group is given far more time to prepare. I'm sure all those failed U.S. students would have loved to spend 6 months at Kaplan studying for Step I.

I'd prefer to make due with less and graduate being that much more resilient than, being artificially weakened by having unneccessary amenities afforded to me.

Having amenities would make you a better student. In the U.S., your instructors are usually American M.D.'s/D.O.'s or people who graduated from American graduate schools teaching. They test you on relevant material and prepare you for what's most likely going to be on the boards. In the caribbean, they will hire foreign instructors who are unfamiliar with the board exams. They will teach you the material as it was taught to them with no forethought as to what is covered on the board exams. They likely won't offer organized lectures and notes as its offerred in U.S. schools. This is why caribbean students need so much more time to prepare for the boards than U.S. students because your teaching is unorganized to begin with. I would much rather be well taught and well informed prior to entering clinicals than having to scrounge and figure out everything on my own because the teaching was substandard.

I'd appreciate it if you had a little respect for your future colleagues. You know the one's who didn't have the superfluous and rather dubious safety net of decelerative and remedial programs to fall back on while in medical school.

I am criticizng the lack of resources provided by your schools not my future colleagues.

esposo said:
Hey smart guy, not all medical schools in the United States are public. Private medical schools are not subsidized by the government just like caribbean schools. Granted, private medical schools survive on an array of other factors like alumni donations, affiliated hospitals and research grants. But their goal is not to profit.

That's the point you are missing genius. Medical schools in the United States are non-profit. The Caribbean schools are for-profit schools and are seeking to maximize profit after paying expenses. It's in their best interest to minimize their expenses(resources) and maximize their revenue(admit a ton of students) They are not concerned with your well-being or education. U.S. schools both public and private are non-profit organizations. Their purpose is to eduate students not to generate profit. Caribbean schools can afford better resources and are capable of providing more but since they are for-profit, it's not in their interest to solely meet expenses. And like with any for-profit business, the goal is to maximize profits. You really think Ross wouldn't profit if they hired better professors? They would still profit but they wouldn't profit as much as hiring a cheaper professor.

Don't you mean high attrition rates. A tiny attrition rate would mean the school is losing students. Please look up words before attempting to appear intelligent. The attrition rate is high at U.S. schools because they do a better job of screening candidates in addition to providing better resources (teaching, facilities etc.) If caribbean schools provided better resources, more of their students wouldn't flunk out. Federal and state reserves have nothing to do with this.

Before you continue to rant about nothing, please remember that

1. The top 4 weed out a significant portion of their entering class so that only the most competent students are allowed to sit for the USMLE. And even the ones who are still enrolled at the school must usually pass a school-imposed exam before being granted the opportunity to sit for the exam.

2. U.S. graduates have only 4-6 weeks outside of class to prepare for the USMLE. IMG's spend anywhere from 3-6 months preparing for the USMLE since they go all year round. It's not fair to comare two groups in regards to a pass rate if one group is given far more time to prepare. I'm sure all those failed U.S. students would have loved to spend 6 months at Kaplan studying for Step I.

Having amenities would make you a better student. In the U.S., your instructors are usually American M.D.'s/D.O.'s or people who graduated from American graduate schools teaching. They test you on relevant material and prepare you for what's most likely going to be on the boards. In the caribbean, they will hire foreign instructors who are unfamiliar with the board exams. They will teach you the material as it was taught to them with no forethought as to what is covered on the board exams. They likely won't offer organized lectures and notes as its offerred in U.S. schools. This is why caribbean students need so much more time to prepare for the boards than U.S. students because your teaching is unorganized to begin with. I would much rather be well taught and well informed prior to entering clinicals than having to scrounge and figure out everything on my own because the teaching was substandard.

I am criticizng the lack of resources provided by your schools not my future colleagues.

I know U.S. schools are non-profit. You are wrong in assuming that I missed this point. Really the whole point of my post was to point out the differences in the Not-for-profit vs. for profit models of educating physicians. I find it admirable that the top institutions can still provide it's students great resources including great faculty and staff and still make a profit without the aid of outside fundraising. The entire premise of the offshore school actually puts money into the U.S economy as well as the economy of the schools host nations while providing a formidable education to qualified students who might otherwise not have had the opportunity. Further to this, health care in the U.S. improves by having a group of graduates who in the majority will fill the role of primary care physicians. Wouldn't you agree that this is a great thing? Of course provided that the offshore school is capable of providing an education of comparable quality to LCME accredited institutions.
There are a small handfull of schools offshore who are of comparable quality and this is evident by having state medical boards in key states like NY, NJ, FL, CA and in the case of Ross, TX attest to this.

So as far as myself and all states in the union are concerned this is a great thing.

I don't think we were ever of a different opinion that U.S schools provide more resources than caribbean schools (in the first two years of course. Remember our last two years are in ACGME accredited teaching hospitals in the U.S therefore we do have the same resources). By virtue of the diametrically opposite business models this theoretically and practically couldn't be the case. My opinion is that the resources caribbean students have, meet the needs the students have, and I'm only speaking of state approved institutions not all of them. There are so many international schools that are not of the ilk that I'm talking about. All else beyond meeting the needs of the students is superfluous, economically taxing and largely unnecessary. Whether we're talking about a private or state school, additional funds are needed on top of tuition to educate an American student. I think you'll agree with this statement. For-profit institutions cannot offer some of the luxuries that U.S. schools can in the first two years. I.e. very small class sizes, remedial programs, decelerative programs and the ability to ensure a student doesn't fail out. These institutions are trying to make an honest dollar after all and God bless anyone who can. Beyond the point of need I don't think having more necessarily makes for a better student. Self-reliance and resiliency will no matter where these traits are nurtured. I acknoledge that those who get into U.S medical schools display this ability to begin with as they were able to achieve the feat of gaining acceptance to a U.S school. FMGs who make it through the program definitely do have these traits as well.

On the flip side, let's talk about a big limitation of all U.S. medical colleges, and in my opinion the reason caribbean schools exist to begin with. At present U.S medical colleges cannot cost effectively educate a medical student. Therefore seating is drastically limited and many qualified students are turned away. This is the crux of my argument.

Here are some other points I'd like to address.

St. George's and Saba do not subscribe to the weeding out system. They have higher admissions screening processes. You can't generalize the top 4 as they are all different institutions.

Ross has the highest attrition rate and I can't comment on AUC's off the top of my head.

SGU is the only school with the "school imposed exam prior to USMLE".

It is fair to compare two groups with respect to pass rates for the USMLE because caribbean students do not have summers in which they have the opportunity to the study for the USMLE. Although SGU's breaks are a little longer than other schools.

No I meant small attrition rates. Caribbean schools have higher attrition rates than U.S. schools. This means that Caribbean schools generally have a higher rate in the reduction of the number of students who enter the program. What I said is entirely correct.

In summary, I'm glad you have respect for your future colleagues and you should. You should have respect for anyone who is devoted to the betterment of humanity no matter where they studied. I hope that in this long unedited rant I have opened your eyes to the good that the recognized offshore, for profit medical institutions are doing for the U.S health care system and all the associated benefactors.

Peace Esposo.

PS: I don't pretend to be smart I just am. Thanks.

If anyone has any constructive thoughts on the matter I'd love to read them. PM me and I'll be sure to get back to you.

everyone's a smart guy, even the girls! haha

People get very touchy about this whole caribbean school thing...it's all basic psychology though.

I don't give a sh-t either way. I'm going to a Caribbean school (got in 07 class). Oh well. People I know got into Harvard. Good for them, they earned it.

The only thing you can do is work with what you have. Make the best out of your situation and go from there.

medschool22 said:
People get very touchy about this whole caribbean school thing...it's all basic psychology though.

I don't give a sh-t either way. I'm going to a Caribbean school (got in 07 class). Oh well. People I know got into Harvard. Good for them, they earned it.

The only thing you can do is work with what you have. Make the best out of your situation and go from there.

Agreed.

medschool22 said:

Mr. Kettle, let me introduce you to Mr. Pot. ;)

I think we should address the question that was asked. I think all of you pretty much admitted it is harder coming out of the Caribbean. It can be challenging attending a school in a foreign country in addition to lacking some of the ammenities that are afforded to U.S. students.

But I think it's better to ask "Is it worth it regardless of the hardships." I think we know the answer to that one: Yes Yes and Yes! It's a great opportunity. Would you rather spin your wheels for 2-3 years in a postbac or masters program hoping to get into a U.S. school and having to retake the MCAT? The caribbean provides you with an opportunity to start medical school immediately. That will save you a lot of money over the long run. You can still qualify for financial aid and the cost of attending these schools isn't much more than most private schools. That's what is great about medicine is that it doesn't matter what school you attend. Sure, if you want to be a faculy member at Hopkins, it matters but for most us, we were dreaming about just having the opportunity to serve as a physician in a private practice setting.

People also discuss the potential downfalls like not being able to match at the most competitive residencies. The marjority of U.S. grads including M.D.'s and D.O.'s have a difficult time matching in surgical subspecialties, radiology etc. Most of us(IMG, DO, MD) end up going into the same types of fields: Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, IM, Peds, FM - then subspecialize, PMR, Pysch, etc. The track for most medical students is fairly common, but it's funny how we are so obsessed with the tiny differences that distinguish us.

And then when you are out of medical school and doing residency, no one cares where you went to medical school. The idea that we were so concerned where we went to medical school will seem so silly to us then. We are in medicine guys not law. It doesn't matter where you go to school. The only thing that matters is that you will be called "Doctor" and have the priviledge of practicing and enjoying medicine.

I'm writing as a DO to let you know that we don't think negatively of you even if a few posters have nothing better to do that belittle you all day. They do not represent us. Likewise, every Carib person I have met has been really cool to me and I hope I can work alongside them in residency and rotations one day. Look if a current DO thinks the IMG is an acceptable route then it can't be that bad.

rahulazcom said:
It's a great opportunity. Would you rather spin your wheels for 2-3 years in a postbac or masters program hoping to get into a U.S. school and having to retake the MCAT? The caribbean provides you with an opportunity to start medical school immediately. That will save you a lot of money over the long run.

In many cases people benefit from gaining a little life experience and waiting a little bit before going to med school. Just because you can go to medical school when you are 20 does not mean you will be a better doctor or better person fr it. If watching "Patch Adams" has taught me anything, it is that life experience adds as much to your education as books do (oh and avoid crazy people, too.)

McGillGrad said:
In many cases people benefit from gaining a little life experience and waiting a little bit before going to med school. Just because you can go to medical school when you are 20 does not mean you will be a better doctor or better person fr it. If watching "Patch Adams" has taught me anything, it is that life experience adds as much to your education as books do (oh and avoid crazy people, too.)

You are preaching to the choir. I was 29 when I started medical school and worked for years as a consultant prior to this. But the point I was making is that if your passion is for medicine, you don't have to jump through many of the hoops that is required to get into a U.S. school. You can start at a caribbean school and be a 3rd or 4th year by the time you even start at a U.S. school. And there is no guarantee that by attending a U.S. school that you will match into a competitive field. I'm not suggesting the caribbean is for everyone but it is a great option for many. Likewise, I think certain people are mature enough to attend medical school at 20. It depends on the individual. Life experience doesn't necessarily translate to better physician either.

rahulazcom said:
I'm writing as a DO to let you know that we don't think negatively of you even if a few posters have nothing better to do that belittle you all day. They do not represent us.

I for one appreciate your perspective on this matter.

Big up.

--
UTG.

ChadC said:

You should JUST get into medical shcool before making a judgement of the specialty of the doctors. That FP or proctologist has 10 years of medical experience at least.

You, a 20 something college kid without any experience under you belt has not right to judge that.

Gotta crawl before you can walk baby.

esposo said:

What in the hell are you talking about? If anything, Caribbean schools are CRITICIZED for OVEREMPHASIZING the boards, i.e. teaching only towards the boards.

I dont know what schools you're talking about but the one I know routinely ships in current, active faculty from US and Canadian medical institutions. Do not spew misinformation or grossly mischaracterize schools in lump.

On BIG thing to ADD,

Only Premeds and US Med students care that someone went to a Caribbean school, after Graduation and into a residency Heck no one cares only that you know what the HECK YOU ARE DOING all the residents US and Caribbean LOL! ;)