How does researching work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Everbe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told that before you go to med school, you should do research, but I dont really know how researching works? Do You do it with a professor by asking him/her to help out on research? What do you do when you do researching and do you have to publish? Do you need medical knowledge to do research?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told that before you go to med school, you should do research, but I dont really know how researching works? Do You do it with a professor by asking him/her to help out on research? What do you do when you do researching and do you have to publish? Do you need medical knowledge to do research?
Thank you

I have been wondering the same thing. I think most people talk to their professors and just find out about opportunities, but it hasn't been that simple for me. I know some schools will list student research positions online when they come open. My school lists them under Student Employment periodically. But I think you kinda have to wiggle your way into these positions, or know a professor really well. At least that's just been my experience :)

Also, I think a lot of people start out as lab techs or research assistants before actually doing high level research in order to gain the skills needed. I don't think you need "medical" knowledge, but it depends on what you're researching obviously. You would most likely be guided by an experienced professor who knows all the background info for you.

Last edited: