How does PTCAS calculate GPA? Freaking out about Prereq GPA.. help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abePT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm low-key freaking out about my prerequisite GPA per PTCAS: 3.47.
My cumulative GPA is 3.66, with an upward trend.
Verbatim, this is what they state on the FAQs under the Coursework section of the application:

INDICATE IF THIS COURSE FULFILLS A CORE PT PREREQUISITE
  • Match one course to each core PT course prerequisite (unless quarter term or repeated course).
I was so confused when filling this portion out because the bulk of PT programs require more than 1 class per subject area (e.g. 1-2 psychology courses in addition to intro).

As a result, I only entered 1 class in psychology for example, though I took two additional psychology classes since the programs I applied to required them. Further, my physics sequence is pending (currently have an A in physics I), so it was not factored in my GPA.
I'm afraid my past is coming back to haunt me: early on in college as a freshman/sophomore before I discovered I wanted to pursue PT I decided to take Stats. On top of this, I was a student-athlete trying to juggle academics and competition. As a result, I ended up with a C.

I know that if my two additional psychology courses were factored into my GPA, PTCAS would have calculated a higher GPA. But that detail about only matching 1 class per prereq seemed pretty strict.

Currently my prerequisite grades are:
Anatomy: B
Physiology: B
Chem 1: A
Chem 2: A
Psych 1: A
Abnormal psych: A
Motivational psych: A
Stats: C
Bio 1: A
Bio 2: A
Physics 1: A (in progress)
Physics 2: taking it this upcoming spring

For academic update, I'm planning to update my spring schedule and thinking of taking Biostatistics to replace that horrid C. But I'm worried programs may decide my fate before I am even allowed to make my case... or do PT programs calculate GPA in their own way?

I need some feedback, thoughts, etc. on this matter... please.

Members don't see this ad.

PTCAS has their own pre-reqs. Disregard your programs pre-reqs as they will have to calculate that on their own. The PTCAS has very good directions on filling this information out. They are not going to allow you to dilute their PTCAS pre req gpa. by adding other classes.

Everybody is in the same boat.

Updating your spring schedule during academic update won't affect anything (unless you have schools that have really really late admission deadlines in the summer). Otherwise, yes, generally schools will make admission decisions long before spring classes are done. The only reason to list spring classes is for the schools to see that you are on track to finish any remaining pre reqs and earn a degree as required. Putting a course as "planned" won't change your current GPA nor can the school make any assumptions about the grade you will or won't get. I personally wouldn't bother taking Biostats unless you plan to apply again next year or have to have it to matriculate.

Yes, PTCAS calculates pre req GPA one way. Many schools use this exact calculation, many do not. You need to know the schools you are applying to to know if they calculate their own (i.e. they have different requirements) or they use the standard. Either way, a 3.47 pre req isn't a bad number.

Members don't see this ad :)
PTCAS has their own pre-reqs. Disregard your programs pre-reqs as they will have to calculate that on their own. The PTCAS has very good directions on filling this information out. They are not going to allow you to dilute their PTCAS pre req gpa. by adding other classes.

Everybody is in the same boat.

@Grizzlyman

Thanks for putting things into perspective. Much appreciated sir!

Updating your spring schedule during academic update won't affect anything (unless you have schools that have really really late admission deadlines in the summer). Otherwise, yes, generally schools will make admission decisions long before spring classes are done. The only reason to list spring classes is for the schools to see that you are on track to finish any remaining pre reqs and earn a degree as required. Putting a course as "planned" won't change your current GPA nor can the school make any assumptions about the grade you will or won't get. I personally wouldn't bother taking Biostats unless you plan to apply again next year or have to have it to matriculate.

Yes, PTCAS calculates pre req GPA one way. Many schools use this exact calculation, many do not. You need to know the schools you are applying to to know if they calculate their own (i.e. they have different requirements) or they use the standard. Either way, a 3.47 pre req isn't a bad number.

@starrsgirl

You're definitely right about not bothering to take Biostats; I'm actually glad you pointed these things out.
Not that I didn't perform due diligence but where would I be able to find whether a program calculates their own or uses the standard? I guess that prior to seeing PTCAS' GPA calculations I was not too worried and therefore didn't look into how they calculate GPA. I'm assuming I'll have to contact them? Thanks for the feedback! :)

@starrsgirl

You're definitely right about not bothering to take Biostats; I'm actually glad you pointed these things out.
Not that I didn't perform due diligence but where would I be able to find whether a program calculates their own or uses the standard? I guess that prior to seeing PTCAS' GPA calculations I was not too worried and therefore didn't look into how they calculate GPA. I'm assuming I'll have to contact them? Thanks for the feedback! :)
Just look at their requirements. If their requirements are different than the pre reqs for PTCAS instructions, then they have to calculate their own. Or if they have a rule where they take the highest score or something, they calculate their own.