How does PGY2 ERAS application work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming you got a prelim spot in 2006-2007. How does one proceed to apply to PGY2 positions via ERAS? Do you just mark the programs you want to apply to whether it is PGY1 or PGY2? (I don't remember an option for 'PGY2' in ERAS). It must be something obvious that I am not figuring out.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Faebinder said:
Assuming you got a prelim spot in 2006-2007. How does one proceed to apply to PGY2 positions via ERAS? Do you just mark the programs you want to apply to whether it is PGY1 or PGY2? (I don't remember an option for 'PGY2' in ERAS). It must be something obvious that I am not figuring out.

Thanks.

You apply for both prelim and advanced (PGY2) positions at the same time. Programs that match into advanced positions match for 2 years out. So if you're shooting for Neuro, first, rethink your life goals, then just apply to Neuro and Medicine Prelim and it will all fall into place.

-BE (now PE)

If you're already going into a prelim spot this year, there's really no need to repeat a year if you don't have to. You can just apply for an advanced position if you're trying to get into a program that requires a prelim year (such as neurology, etc.). But if you were in an IM program, for example, as a prelim, and you're trying to get in as a categorical, you have a few options. Either you can apply for a PGY1 position through the match (yeah, it sucks to have to repeat your internship year, but it's worth it if you can get a categorical spot), or you can try to get a PGY2 position outside the match.
Good Luck!

sblau001 said:
If you're already going into a prelim spot this year, there's really no need to repeat a year if you don't have to. You can just apply for an advanced position if you're trying to get into a program that requires a prelim year (such as neurology, etc.). But if you were in an IM program, for example, as a prelim, and you're trying to get in as a categorical, you have a few options. Either you can apply for a PGY1 position through the match (yeah, it sucks to have to repeat your internship year, but it's worth it if you can get a categorical spot), or you can try to get a PGY2 position outside the match.
Good Luck!

Gotchya.. that's what I was afraid of.. thanks.