How does one study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookHero20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what people's different studying habits are like how does one start off in the beginning and how does it change during crunch time

Members don't see this ad.

For me at first I think I didn't really realize what a massive test it is essentially it is everything you ever learned in college for two to three years. After I realized that at first my goal was just to get though all the material regardless of whether i understood it to a T or not. I thought just the exposure would be good. I was right because when you take the test at least something sounds familiar. Towards the end it was all about going over things that I sucked at. To make sure I had it down the last two weeks were review of what I did know and some going over the stuff I didn't do too well at. One thing I would have changed would have been to do some more practice tests I don't think I did enough that helps you gauge yourself a little so that's what I did hope that helps, if you need anything else feel free to pm.

I started with a practice test, just to figure out what the test is all about. I hardly studied for the biological sciences...I guess having a good record as a bio major really helped in that section.

I bought a book of practice Verbal tests which really proved helpful. It's so hard to keep interest in passages that are about the most boring subjects, but sitting there and actually practicing to develop focus and speed proved invaluable. I'd also suggest reading the newspaper as often as you can, and although it's torture, read through articles that you don't find interesting. Afterall, you can't weed out the uninteresting passages on the MCAT.

I had to flat out study for Physical sciences. There's a list of formulas/equations that are important for the MCAT...it's out there somewhere, I frankly don't even know where I got it. I started out learning the equations and their relevance, and then I reviewed the major concepts in a Kaplan review book.

Throughout the whole process, it was all about the practice tests. Take as many as you can, in as realistic conditions as you can.

Slow and steady wins the race i.e. if you wish to stay relaxed and move on. I did not get jittery until the very end - I cannot wait for the scores come out. But i have been taking it easy now. The point is realize that it is a huge huge committment - you want to take it once and get done with it.

Start early and get familiarized with the all the topics. tell yourself that nothing is difficult and stay positive.

For verbal, I'd say practice as much as you can For me this was a difficult section, get used to the techniques recommended or the one you find easier to use/works to your advantage.
Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
ComicBookHero20 said:
when is the right time for that?
I'd say once you get done with reviewing for the first time. only after you are familiar with everything that could be on the test/
YOu can take one before you actually start studying as well

I took a prep course, so I was lucky in that I had a BUNCH of homework to do. I did a lot of memorization (of equations) first, with lots of practice problems, organized by section/concepts. The test for me was, how do I do with these concepts, once I think I have them mastered, OUT of context. Practice exams helped with that. Also, I noticed, as I became more confident with PS, I was able to relax. Instead of trying to memorize or learn every little detail, I relied on my reasoning skills to carry me through the toughies (we'll see in June if that worked out). In verbal, I threw away most of the advice given by my verbal instructor, and found my own way. That came about by doing many, many passages and trying different things. Find a way that works (for each section) and practice that. Make sure to take a few practice exams, too. The last week or so, review concepts you're lacking in, and good luck! :luck:

my only advice is this: don't underestimate this test. don't let yourself off the hook slacking early on and pretend that you'll make it up later. people will *tell* you this process "isn't just about the numbers," but unfortunately, *this particular number* IS VERY IMPORTANT.

start slow, increasing in intensity as you go. don't relent.