How Does MSPE work for fellowship apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed some fellowships require MSPE, much like Residency application required it.

Does anyone know, for Fellowship apps, on ERAS, can I upload the MSPE myself on ERAS? I have a copy on my computer.

Or does it have to be directly uploaded from medical school...?

I really don't want to be nagging my medical school after all these years for MSPE....

Members don't see this ad.

Just went through fellowship apps and yes a few asked for MSPE (which is odd since its ~ 4 years old), you can ask your medical school if that's not a problem or you can get a copy from your residency program - they will have a copy of your old ERAS application on file (this is what I did)

Just went through fellowship apps and yes a few asked for MSPE (which is odd since its ~ 4 years old), you can ask your medical school if that's not a problem or you can get a copy from your residency program - they will have a copy of your old ERAS application on file (this is what I did)

I might have to do this. Can you expand on the second part? Did you upload the MSPE or your residency program?

Im an IMG and my med school is in UK. So they are clueless with MSPE

Technically, residency programs are not allowed to give you, or upload for you, your MSPE.

If you're an IMG, your MSPE might still be with ECFMG. I'd contact them first.

Reactions: 1 users
Technically, residency programs are not allowed to give you, or upload for you, your MSPE.

Thanks, so if ECFMG has my MSPE, can they upload it to ERAS?

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to upload this MSPE without med school involvement.

Reactions: 1 user

I didn't know this haha, and I guess my program didn't either :laugh:! I just uploaded it to them directly.

Thanks, so if ECFMG has my MSPE, can they upload it to ERAS?

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to upload this MSPE without med school involvement.
I just emailed a copy to them. There was only one program that specifically wouldn't accept that and wanted it from my med school - I feel your pain - just make sure you ask several months in advance. They will have it from when you applied to resideny (you aren't the first, nor the last person from your med school to apply for residency in the US)

Edit: I see you're applying through ERAS (you might have to get them to send it to the ECFMG for upload then. I never applied to fellowships through ERAS

I just emailed a copy to them. There was only one program that specifically wouldn't accept that and wanted it from my med school - I feel your pain - just make sure you ask several months in advance. They will have it from when you applied to resideny (you aren't the first, nor the last person from your med school to apply for residency in the US)

Edit: I see you're applying through ERAS (you might have to get them to send it to the ECFMG for upload then. I never applied to fellowships through ERAS

Ok thanks.

I have a copy of it on my computer, so I'm gonna see if I can just email/mail it to E
I didn't know this haha, and I guess my program didn't either :laugh:! I just uploaded it to them directly.

Nice. I presume you also uploaded Medical school transcript yourself?

I uploaded my MSPE to ERAS from a copy my program had. It was rejected and I ended up needing to have my medical school send it in directly. Transcripts also need to be uploaded by the medical school.

I uploaded my MSPE to ERAS from a copy my program had. It was rejected and I ended up needing to have my medical school send it in directly. Transcripts also need to be uploaded by the medical school.

hmm, thanks.

Apparently if you are IMG you can upload the documents yourself (or so I have been told). I presume you are US MD?

I am going to call ECFMG today to hopefully get some clarification.

Thankfully SF Match is so much more relaxed about these sorts of things. ERAS is a little hyper-vigilant.

Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but …

Does it matter that my MSPE appears to be outdated? It’s dated four years ago and contains info like “comments and final grade pending completion of rotation.” Was my medical school supposed to update this for fellowship application?
Nope. It's dumb that they ask for it, but they do. Don't sweat it.