How does Med School change a person?

thegirlfriend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for awhile. My boyfriend is MSII and I was wondering about your opinions on how med school changes a person. I mean, obviously it does change a person.

But what have your experiences been? Has med school changed you in any noticeable ways? Have you dated anyone who became a different person at the end of it all?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally know folks that are more jaded and clinical thinking now.

People are less than people....more a diagnosis.

then, there are others that still have compassion and hope. I think it depends on the person and what they expected and what their experiences were.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I think the biggest change is that 90% of my conversation topics are now related to medicine, and the other 10% are non-medical topics that I heard about while doing medicine.

I would imagine they are more educated with regard to medicine.

well maybe it was a stupid question, but it is something i wonder about, so that's why i asked.

so far i've seen a few changes in my boyfriend already and he's only 1/2 way through 2nd year. he used to be bubbly, always optimistic, etc and now he's generally an angrier person. he used to never say anything bad about people, and now he makes smart ass comments about anyone who deserves it. i'm just worried that this will only escalate in the next 2 years and who used to be a really happy and cheerful person will become the grim reaper.

just wanted to know if any of you have experienced this. not the grim reaper, per se, but you know what i mean.

Don't worry, next year you won't see him at all as he will be doing 60+ hours a week in the hospital.

well maybe it was a stupid question, but it is something i wonder about, so that's why i asked.

so far i've seen a few changes in my boyfriend already and he's only 1/2 way through 2nd year. he used to be bubbly, always optimistic, etc and now he's generally an angrier person. he used to never say anything bad about people, and now he makes smart ass comments about anyone who deserves it. i'm just worried that this will only escalate in the next 2 years and who used to be a really happy and cheerful person will become the grim reaper.

just wanted to know if any of you have experienced this. not the grim reaper, per se, but you know what i mean.

note what I said above........it can suck the joy out of life if you let it. It is all consuming for most and you learn to expect the worst not the best.

note what I said above........it can suck the joy out of life if you let it. It is all consuming for most and you learn to expect the worst not the best.

I'm reading my posts and noticing the change in me.... :laugh:

ha, sweet. thanks guys.

i keep trying to tell him that his schedule is gonna suck next year and that we won't see each other much, but i think he's living in a state of denial.

Med school does change ppl:
(1) doing OB rotation kills your sex drive (i read an article that said preg women release pheromones which "domesticates" their husbands, so they spend more time taking care of baby and less time chasing poon.
(2) after having to talk to 5-7 pts / patient's family members per day, even shy people become social
(3) you suddenly realize women think you're a catch, so you're less willing to put up with bull*** from women.
(4) on surgery rotation, you'll always forget to call your gf cause the trauma and the subsequent surgery was so fun you forgot you had other things to do

(1) doing OB rotation kills your sex drive (i read an article that said preg women release pheromones which "domesticates" their husbands, so they spend more time taking care of baby and less time chasing poon.
(2) after having to talk to 5-7 pts / patient's family members per day, even shy people become social
(3) you suddenly realize women think you're a catch, so you're less willing to put up with bull*** from women.
(4) on surgery rotation, you'll always forget to call your gf cause the trauma and the subsequent surgery was so fun you forgot you had other things to do

1. Interesting.

2. I know of plenty of shy folks, despite all that. So, not true.

3. F*CK YEA!!

4. wut gf??

Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for awhile. My boyfriend is MSII and I was wondering about your opinions on how med school changes a person. I mean, obviously it does change a person.

But what have your experiences been? Has med school changed you in any noticeable ways? Have you dated anyone who became a different person at the end of it all?

Yeah...+30 lbs is quite noticeable :oops:

Well, I was already a super jaded, cynical, and angry person going into med school, so I don't think much will change.

i think a lot of times, med school makes people egotistical and arrogant, hence your boyfriends behavior. you need to find ways to bring that ego down, like leave him

jk jk. but seriously med school can expose peoples douchery

i think a lot of times, med school makes people egotistical and arrogant, hence your boyfriends behavior. you need to find ways to bring that ego down, like leave him

jk jk. but seriously med school can expose peoples douchery

so true. look at me:D:naughty:

Well, I suppose I'm a bit late here but from my experience...

Before
Skin tone: sun-kissed glow

After
Skin tone: ghastly ghost

I personally know folks that are more jaded and clinical thinking now.

People are less than people....more a diagnosis.

then, there are others that still have compassion and hope. I think it depends on the person and what they expected and what their experiences were.

i guess most people become jaded but still retain compassion. I cant say the same for hope.

all those pts interviews, all the interactions, you have to build a professional self entity, unless you already had one.

Last edited:

number one is true for me. Probably I had no sexual interesting to women in my OB rotation period for two months :eek: :eek:

In surgery rotations you have to stuck up with duties so you may even forget to drink water or to go to toilet :(

in clinical rotations you see some people(including children and very sweet babies) dying in front of you...

at the end of the med scholl you become a more medicine based, more angry and more "mature" man :thumbup: