How does Cavum Septum Pellucidum and Vergae effect a person's functioning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globalism

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Neurology residents,

I had a brain MRI done a couple of years ago (out of complete curiorsity) and the report said I had a Cavum Septum Pellucidum and Vergae. I don't think the width of it was too large b/c the MRI report only made an 'incidental report' of it. Is having both Cavum Septum Pellucidum and Vergae signifigant? I know for most people (95-97%) this space closes soon after birth.

I ask now b/c I just show my scans to my sister's fiancee (who's a radiology resident) and he mentioned the Cavum Septum Pellucidum and Vergae. He said it wasn't too big but when he mentioned only 2-3% of the population have this, I started to worry. Then I searched the internet and there's been studies linking it to various psychiatric ailments (schitzo, Teurets and other things).

So I want to know if anybody's has had any experience with patients with Cavum Septum Pellucidum and Vergae? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

globalism said:
Hi Neurology residents,

I had a brain MRI done a couple of years ago (out of complete curiorsity) and the report said I had a Cavum Septum Pellucidum and Vergae. I don't think the width of it was too large b/c the MRI report only made an 'incidental report' of it. Is having both Cavum Septum Pellucidum and Vergae signifigant? I know for most people (95-97%) this space closes soon after birth.

I ask now b/c I just show my scans to my sister's fiancee (who's a radiology resident) and he mentioned the Cavum Septum Pellucidum and Vergae. He said it wasn't too big but when he mentioned only 2-3% of the population have this, I started to worry. Then I searched the internet and there's been studies linking it to various psychiatric ailments (schitzo, Teurets and other things).

So I want to know if anybody's has had any experience with patients with Cavum Septum Pellucidum and Vergae? Thanks.

This is an incidental findings that has no clinical significance in the absence of another midline defect, clinical neurologic deficits or the presence of hydrocephalus. If you don't have any of these things (which I suspect you don't) then I would not waste time investigating this finding.
Doesn't having a $3000 test out of "curiosity" seem inapproriate?

Mollaret said:
This is an incidental findings that has no clinical significance in the absence of another midline defect, clinical neurologic deficits or the presence of hydrocephalus. If you don't have any of these things (which I suspect you don't) then I would not waste time investigating this finding.
Doesn't having a $3000 test out of "curiosity" seem inapproriate?

$3000? I only paid around $800 for it. Besides, it was at a time when I just recieved a fat tax refund check (several grand) and I didn't have to worry about rent (moved back in with the folks while I studied for the mcats and applied to med school).

I have to admit, I could see that. If I had the money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get a MRI...

Although, as a future neurologist, I pretty much think that the brain is the center of the universe. It would be fun to work pictures of my brain into presentations, and have future med students try to identify the "pathology".