How does Carbohydrate Absorption occur?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sodium
Carbohydrate
Enterocyte

I don't understand the term basolateral.

EK Bio book

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you give a little more information? I'm not sure what you're asking. What is the exact question?

Sodium
Carbohydrate
Enterocyte

I don't understand the term basolateral.

EK Bio book

you need to clarify your question. What you have posted here doesnt really make any sense, and the answer to your question depends on what part of the body you are talking about.

Okay, I agree with the other posters, your question is poorly organized. But, I made an assumption and it produced the following:

"Hydrolysis in the luminal bulk fluid by secreted enzymes is the major pathway for the breakdown of polysaccharides to oligosaccharides, and further hydrolysis is accomplished by a battery of carbohydrates in the brush border of the mature enterocytes. The glucose, galactose, and fructose produced are absorbed across the enterocytes of the upper half of the villus. Glucose and galactose (and other glucalogues) are actively transported into the enterocyte by the Na(+)-glucose cotransporter SGLT1 (gene on chromosome 22) via the transmembrane electrochemical Na+ gradient, and exit across the basolateral membrane by the glucose transporter GLUT2 (gene on chromosome 3)" -- The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition