How does admission to european medical schools work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted899789

I am not considering applying to medical school in Europe, but I have always wondered how their admissions system differs from ours. It seems like most students go straight from high school into medical school there. Are there ever any "non traditional" medical students in that system (i.e., you got a different degree but then decided to change careers and go into medicine), or do you pretty much have to decide your path by the time you finish high school? That is, is there flexibility in their admissions systems like there is in the US?

Personally, as a senior in high school, there was no way that I would be able to decide what I was going to do for the rest of my life at that point. How can European teenagers be expected to make such a big decision at a young age? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You may want to check out the Atlantic Bridge program. They facilitate applications and interviews for North American students interested in attending Irish medical schools. I believe all schools there take students for 5 and 6 year programs (straight out of high school or having some college) but a few also take graduate entry students who have a bachelor's degree and an MCAT score. So yes, depending on the school, there are non-traditional students!

I can't speak for the medical education model in other countries, though. I agree with you -- I didn't know I wanted to pursue medicine until several years after I had completed my undergrad in a completely unrelated area. I can't imagine making such a huge decision at the age of 17 or 18!

You may want to check out the Atlantic Bridge program. They facilitate applications and interviews for North American students interested in attending Irish medical schools. I believe all schools there take students for 5 and 6 year programs (straight out of high school or having some college) but a few also take graduate entry students who have a bachelor's degree and an MCAT score. So yes, depending on the school, there are non-traditional students!

I can't speak for the medical education model in other countries, though. I agree with you -- I didn't know I wanted to pursue medicine until several years after I had completed my undergrad in a completely unrelated area. I can't imagine making such a huge decision at the age of 17 or 18!
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not considering applying to medical school in Europe, but I have always wondered how their admissions system differs from ours. It seems like most students go straight from high school into medical school there. Are there ever any "non traditional" medical students in that system (i.e., you got a different degree but then decided to change careers and go into medicine), or do you pretty much have to decide your path by the time you finish high school? That is, is there flexibility in their admissions systems like there is in the US?

Personally, as a senior in high school, there was no way that I would be able to decide what I was going to do for the rest of my life at that point. How can European teenagers be expected to make such a big decision at a young age? Thank you!
You might browse through SDN's International Medicine Forum for additional insights: International Medical Forums

As far as I know, when they finish high school/college (it takes 12 years), they go straight to higher education - university. So, yes, basically, most European medical students should be at age 18-19 when they start their medical education.

As far as I know, when they finish high school/college (it takes 12 years), they go straight to higher education - university. So, yes, basically, most European medical students should be at age 18-19 when they start their medical education.
if that's you change your name and pfp

Here in the US we do have BS/MD programs that people apply to right out of HS. The difference is that we have several alternative pipelines.

Here in the US we do have BS/MD programs that people apply to right out of HS. The difference is that we have several alternative pipelines.
In Europe, if someone receives an undergraduate degree (say, in biology), and then later decides they wanted to pursue medicine, are they able to go through the med school process as a non-trad? Or is it if you don't get accepted to med school right out of high school you've missed your chance? Thanks!

In Europe, if someone receives an undergraduate degree (say, in biology), and then later decides they wanted to pursue medicine, are they able to go through the med school process as a non-trad? Or is it if you don't get accepted to med school right out of high school you've missed your chance? Thanks!
you'll be a foreign physician, it won't help your multi-re-app-ness.

either your school list was a problem one way or the other, your letters sucked, or you're a terrible interviewer. post a WAMC with your whole sordid history and those peepies might be able to give you some advice.

you'll be a foreign physician, it won't help your multi-re-app-ness.

either your school list was a problem one way or the other, your letters sucked, or you're a terrible interviewer. post a WAMC with your whole sordid history and those peepies might be able to give you some advice.
First, lmao, I am accepted and I will be attending medical school next month. Your response was not appropriate nor appreciated.

Second, I am asking about European students (ie if a European does not apply to med school straight out of high school, but instead learns they want to be a physician later in life). I have no interest in trying to go to medical school in Europe.

Most European as well as former commonweath generally follow the “British” style. This is primary school followed secondary school where in 7th-9th grade you are placed in a specific “streams” usually science (including medicine) or art (which would include social science). Once you are streamed it is difficult to change. So by 9th or so you have already started a path to medicine. Most places have certification or Matriculation exams which are needed to get into preparatory/precollege for 1-2 years. Here you prep for specific major such as biology or medicine. Then you take Another set of exams to finally apply to a college within a university for a specific major/curriculum faculty. So by the time you formally start undergrad you have essentially 2-3 years of US college level work. And, for example in the British system, you then have 2-3 years of medical didactic education before you take the equivalent of USMLE and apply to clinical portion of education which may be at different university than you do the didactic portion
Thank you so much, this was really helpful! But would it ever be possible for, say, a 28 year old British nurse who later decided they wanted to go into medicine to do so? Is there room for non-trad students in their system? Thanks again

Thank you so much, this was really helpful! But would it ever be possible for, say, a 28 year old British nurse who later decided they wanted to go into medicine to do so? Is there room for non-trad students in their system? Thanks again
Note - this is my thoughts about Germany vs. US.

That's why I really like the American approach to medical school. As a dual German/US citizen, who has experienced both educational systems (not med school though, lol) I really do believe the US approach is superior.

We don't put people in boxes - after high school or getting a GED, anyone can attend college. In Germany at a young age students are placed in distinct, separate paths - one to apprenticeship, one to technical school, and one to college preparatory school. Only the college prep kids are allowed to move on to university, which is where they can study animal medicine, human medicine, dentistry and pharmacy. The other two groups are boxed in and if they want to attend university or study medicine, they have to spend a large chunk of time taking courses so they can qualify as university students. It's particularly terrible for the immigrant population there since they may not speak proper German yet - so their kids are placed in either the apprentice-track or the technical track, not for university.

There is significantly less age-ism over here in the States... my neighbor, who was a 40 year old mom of four and an engineer, decided to take her pre-reqs at a CC and got into medical school a couple years ago! In Germany, that's basically impossible. After the age of 30 over there, it's hard to start a career and get a university spot. There's a lot more flexibility and forgiveness and chances for redemption and non-traditional routes to medicine over here. I think it's great!

Just my two-cents. :D

Reactions: 2 users
Note - this is my thoughts about Germany vs. US.

That's why I really like the American approach to medical school. As a dual German/US citizen, who has experienced both educational systems (not med school though, lol) I really do believe the US approach is superior.

We don't put people in boxes - after high school or getting a GED, anyone can attend college. In Germany at a young age students are placed in distinct, separate paths - one to apprenticeship, one to technical school, and one to college preparatory school. Only the college prep kids are allowed to move on to university, which is where they can study animal medicine, human medicine, dentistry and pharmacy. The other two groups are boxed in and if they want to attend university or study medicine, they have to spend a large chunk of time taking courses so they can qualify as university students. It's particularly terrible for the immigrant population there since they may not speak proper German yet - so their kids are placed in either the apprentice-track or the technical track, not for university.

There is significantly less age-ism over here in the States... my neighbor, who was a 40 year old mom of four and an engineer, decided to take her pre-reqs at a CC and got into medical school a couple years ago! In Germany, that's basically impossible. After the age of 30 over there, it's hard to start a career and get a university spot. There's a lot more flexibility and forgiveness and chances for redemption and non-traditional routes to medicine over here. I think it's great!

Just my two-cents. :D
That's crazy... I probably wouldn't be going to med school if I grew up in that system haha. Thanks!

Yes, it is possible. There are dedicated graduate entry medicine courses designed for nurses, biomedical scientists, pharmacists, etc, who decided to pursue medicine later on. In fact, my older sister was a nurse and signed up for grad entry 2 years ago. She got exempted from subjects she has already studied before and the university allowed her to graduate in 4 years rather than 6. She is in her 3rd year now and she is doing clinical rotations in different medical departments. I suggest you research different universities and find the one that suits you the best.

Do keep in mind that the German educational system, while boxing in students, leaves them with little or no educational debt so that's a big difference from the US system.

Additionally, an American high school diploma usually isn't considered equivalent the German "abitur" (university-ready) diploma. One must have taken several AP classes in high school - physics, calculus, biology, a humanities, etc. If you don't meet that requirement as a US student, you could do two things: get a bachelors in the US, or take those required AP classes at the college level (NOT CC!) to be equivalent. Or, you can go to Germany and attend "studienkolleg" which is basically pre-university classes for a year or so. And of course, German fluency is required.

Here's the website to determine qualifications, if anyone is curious: anabin: Anabin - Informationssystem zur Anerkennung ausländischer Bildungsabschlüsse ;)

I remember, a while back, when I was living in Germany, I was well-acquainted with a young doctor from Syria, who wanted to practice in Germany. It only took him about eight months to learn enough German to pass the interview/exam, which was conducted thoroughly in German, of course. He was a smart cookie, haha. The tests/exams for being allowed to practice as a foreign doc are really weird there, to be honest. Each region has its own requirements.

Do keep in mind that the German educational system, while boxing in students, leaves them with little or no educational debt so that's a big difference from the US system.
Pick your poison... or choose your box, I guess? Haha.

I thought I would throw my five cents here, too. I was born and raised in Poland, where I progressed through the entirety of the public education system all the way through high school. Since I left Poland to pursue pre-medical studies and now medicine in the US, the schooling system has undergone major changes but I will nevertheless do my best to provide you with as accurate and current a picture as possible.

As is the case for Germany and many other European countries, the Polish education system forces students to have a good idea of their future careers very early on. Upon graduating from primary school (8th grade), you sit national exams that determine where you will be accepted to high school. Each high school has a pre-professional track, the most common of which are pre-medical (where biology, chemistry, and physics are on an extended level), pre-law/humanities (where history, legal studies, and Polish are on an extended level), and pre-engineering (with maths and physics on an extended level). While a pre-medical profile does not theoretically mean that one should necesarilly pursue medicine, all of my high school classmates ended up studying either medicine or dentistry. Unfortunately, there is still a great deal of contempt among Poles towards nursing, pharmacy, or nutrition, all of which I have heard to be labelled as "failure careers" or "plan B options" if you don't get into med school.

In high school, at least as part of the pre-medical concentration, you complete the coursework that college students are normally required to take, with the exception that it is not split into specific courses. For instance, you would have a longitudinal Biology course across all 4 years, and each semester would pertain to a different field, i.e. biochemistry, genetics, physiology, anatomy, evolution. The same idea applies to all other subjects. Despite the fact that students realize biology, chemistry, and physics on an advanced level (which takes up to 20 hours a week), we were mandated to take a whole slew of humanities, foreign languages, and social sciences at the same time. Taking this into account, students spend around 40-45 hours a week in classrooms, which I personally found dreadful (no time for extracurriculars), even if it did prepare me well for the undergrad here.

Upon graduating from high school, you sit final national examination called Matura. Students are given an opportunity to select the subjects they want to take based on the studies they want to pursue. For medicine, applicants are usually required to present a high score in biology, chemistry, physics, and/or maths. You usually take your final exams in May and you are notified of your result sometime in June, while July is when the admission cycle to medical schools starts. Your scores from the aforementioned exams are the SOLE determinant of whether you get in or not; there are no interviews, personal statements, or letters of reference. The admission cycle is therefore extremely quick - you usually know within a week or so whether you get in or not, since all the adcoms have to do is to create a ranked Excel spreadsheet of all their applicants. The spreadsheet is then posted on their websites to inform everyone of the admission cycle outcomes. There are only about 17-18 medical schools, so there is not a lot to choose from. However, given the fact that previous admission cycle results are openly available online, it is very easy to gauge what score you need to get into a specific school, so students usually end up applying to only 1-2 schools.

If you perform poorly on the final exam, you are forced to take a year off, as tests are only offered once a year. However, if your scores are JUST below the threshold, you may be offered (or petition the school) a spot in the entering class for an annual fee. Whereas medical school is free in Poland, such students will be asked to pay somewhere around 20,000 PLN (~$5,000) per semester to remain enrolled.

This covers the basics. 😃

Thanks everyone for sharing, this is super intriguing!

I grew personally so much as an undergraduate, that I still believe medicine would not have been possible for me in countries with a more pre-set path towards medicine. Education in the US is excruciatingly expensive, but I appreciate it's flexibility

Reactions: 1 users