how does a waitlist work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halitosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if i interview at the 1st availale date for X school and then get waitlisted, am i automatically at the top ~15 spots of the w.list?? or, do they organize ppl on list by qualifications?

Members don't see this ad.

Normally, the interview date does not correspond to the placement on the alternate list. The candidates on this list are ranked based on their overall "score".

Comet208 said:
Normally, the interview date does not correspond to the placement on the alternate list. The candidates on this list are ranked based on their overall "score".

i see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Halitosis said:
or, do they organize ppl on list by qualifications?

definitely by qualifications. Although your placement could change until they give you your number on the list. At two schools i had interviews in april but stil ended up on the top of the waitlist. Waitlists generally move fast as people get multiple acceptances and sometimes bail.

Good luck ...

waitlist for out-of-state positions moves fast for state schools. for instate, i heard it hardly moves if any at all, for the obvious reason.