How do you study and remember?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone is telling me that you need to find alternative ways as it differs for every person.

I understand that part but I don't understand what everyone means by "alternatives."

Like, I'll study but forget all of it like two days after the test and if it is a big test, I def. won't remember all of it when I'm taking the test.

Does that mean my current study method isn't good enough?

I want to improve. I only say this because today I had a couple of my hardest finals and had to work till the tail end on like 6/75 problems that were 6 points a piece for like a whole hour because I forgot half the crap from my problem sets :(.

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest improvement to studying, for me, was to study consistently. No cramming. So, lets say I have a class that meets MWF with a Th lab.

So, either the night before or the morning of, I skim/read the material in the text for the class. I jot down anything that doesn't make sense on at least a cursory level, or any questions that I have (stickies work well for this.) Depending on the course, I might take notes form the reading (rarely.) I also glance over my summary notes from the previous class to be sure I am up to speed. Right before class (say the 2 minutes before) I jot down everything I know about the topic of the day. That might include stuff from the text, the lecture, etc. This is concept work...not details. Single words or brief phrases. This gives my mind something to 'hang' the new ideas to...a way to form connections. Then I take good notes during class (not too much, not too little) and try to fill in the answers to my quesitons and be sure to pay attention to areas where I felt like I would have trouble. This helps keep me focused during class. I also try to predict what the prof will say next, and try to make mental connections in my head (so, if Ca+ is lacking, what will happen to the animal?) or even absurd connections. If something pops in my head, I write it down in cursive (I print my notes otherwise) which just lets me know that is my thought. If I can, I ask questions if I need to. At the end of class, while everyone is crowding the door, I do a quick glance over the day's notes, trying just to see the big picture, how they fit with the framework of class, and the most important components. Pack up and head out. I will generally keep mullling over the material for about the next five minutes. That evening I will review those notes, and I might go ahead and prepare for the next class especially with a MWThF schedule. If I have a T Th schedule, I would hold off class prep for Tuesday until probably Sat, Sun, or Mon. I would still review, though.

The above is what gave me the most improvement in school. What I did otherwise depended on the class: problem sets, summarizing notes, creating a master notes page, mind maps, charts, flashcards, mnemonics, diagrams, etc.

Consistency is key to long term recall. The more I can connect the information to other information, the more likely I am to recall it. Also, when I do study, I take 10-15 minute breaks every two hours, and 2-5 min breaks every half hour (just to look up, stretch, take note of my surroundings.) I find this helps me compartmentalize the information.

Best wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)
repetition.
repetition.
repetition.
repetition.

then look at it again.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hence why I use study groups. Cuz if I'm going to have to review the same junk over again, I'm going to make someone else review it with me. Misery loves company.

Well, think of the study material as something interesting or important to you some how. Studies have shown that people who are interested in what they are learning about tend to remember it long term. The brain places the significant information gradually into the long term area of your memory--probably into your hippocampus and so you remember it easily because it is something important to you in some way.

Understanding+ Repetition =Long term memory.

I simply become whatever I am reading , I guess because I have such passion for everything I do , I naturally remember the material . I don't cram either . I also go the extra mile , studying more , throughout the day , taking some breaks in between , and lots of note taking .

Well, think of the study material as something interesting or important to you some how. Studies have shown that people who are interested in what they are learning about tend to remember it long term. The brain places the significant information gradually into the long term area of your memory--probably into your hippocampus and so you remember it easily because it is something important to you in some way.
Studies have also shown that memory is associated with smell.

So sniff something really stinky whenever you need to memorize something important. :p

crack-15.jpg

Don't close this thread please..

Is that legal to post here ? The thread shouldn't be closed because of someone else's post ...I'd certainly hope not anyways ...:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that legal to post here ? The thread shouldn't be closed because of someone else's post ...I'd certainly hope not anyways ...:thumbdown:

Let's just stop talking about it.

Yeah it's legal to post I think but this thread may be getting closed if a moderator sees it.

Yeah, I didn't post it so my thread shouldn't be closed.

Let's just stop talking about it.

Yeah it's legal to post I think but this thread may be getting closed if a moderator sees it.

Yeah, I didn't post it so my thread shouldn't be closed.

Alright

From last night's party at Steve's house.

weed.jpg

you are never going to remember everything. but as others have said, study consistently over a long period of time in contrast to someone who crams the last day before. If you are a crammer, thats probably why you forget everything. Also, try not to study late into the night. get your studying done before 10 if possible.

My memory improved greatly for class material when I increased the amount of times I studied per week and the intensity. I spent less time actually studying and I was able to memorize the material better.

Pay attention in class. Then throughout the course, go over your notes again and it may sink in. Are you a visual or auditory learner? IE: do you have an easier time remembering things by hearing it or do you have to write it down? If you are a visual learner, it might help you to rewrite your notes. I use this method. I take really messy notes in class, then while studying, I go over it again and write it all out in a very neat and orderly way. That solidifies the material in my head. If you are an auditory learner, it could help you to repeat the facts out loud and get used to saying them. Or you could work with a study buddy and talk about the material. That might help you come test time when you can remember your conversation. Other people use mnemonic devices. For example when you try to remember the order of operations you say "please excuse my dear aunt sally" --- parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction. This works when trying to remember lists of things that otherwise would be difficult to memorize. Or it might be helpful to relate certain things to your life. Like if you are trying to memorize the state capital for Maryland you could say that your best friend's name is Mary and her sister's name is Anne. Annapolis, Maryland. There are so many ways to memorize things. I can't think of any more at 2 am but I hope that was somewhat helpful.

Everyone is telling me that you need to find alternative ways as it differs for every person.

I understand that part but I don't understand what everyone means by "alternatives."

Like, I'll study but forget all of it like two days after the test and if it is a big test, I def. won't remember all of it when I'm taking the test.

Does that mean my current study method isn't good enough?

I want to improve. I only say this because today I had a couple of my hardest finals and had to work till the tail end on like 6/75 problems that were 6 points a piece for like a whole hour because I forgot half the crap from my problem sets :(.