How do you pay for a DIY post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okyeah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a variety of answers online. I'm not allowed to get more FAFSA loans for this am I?

For reference I already have a bachelors degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply for a second bachelor's as a degree seeking student. You are under no obligation to finish it. Just take what you need for the DIY post-bacc and head off.

Being considered a degree-seeking student will allow you to get financial aid. However, of note, Pell grants only apply to first bachelor's degrees. You should be able to get more Stafford loans.

Being registered as a degree-seeking student will also allow you earlier registration.

Reactions: 2 users
I would still fill out and apply via FAFSA, but It really depends on the amount of loans taken during your 1st degree.

But like the comment above has said, apply to be a 2nd degree seeking student and that may get you some federal aid.
Keep in mind, that aid may be very low and not enough to cover the full tuition.

If that is the case, then your options are either pay out of pocket or take a private loan.
I myself took out a private loan for my DIY through an educational lender, which had higher interest than federal loans, but relatively wasn't that bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Consider where you want to apply as well and see if they take CC courses. I did my entire DIY post bac at my local CC (it’s a very highly ranked one so that helped) but overall cost me less than 5,000 total which I paid out of pocket with my savings alone.

Reactions: 1 user
Another potential option is working at a university that offers free or discounted tuition for staff.

Personally, I spent a few years working at a job related to my undergrad (accounting/finance) and saved up enough money to fund a full time DIY post-bacc. I also moved to attend a university in an area with cheap cost of living. Though, I will say it was extremely difficult to walk away from a cushy salary and return to the frugal student lifestyle--but it's a necessary sacrifice if I truly want to be a physician. My biggest piece of advice is to sit down and pencil out your budget in detail to form a brutally realistic picture of your financial situation. Not just monthly expenses, but total cost of DIY post-bacc, study materials for MCAT, application/interview expenses, etc. Nothing about this process is cheap or easy, but it can be done with careful planning.

Reactions: 1 users
I did part of a DIY post bac and paid part with loans and part with savings. I did the degree seeking second bachelors thing and then left 9 months later when I got into med school. I did mine at a small 4 year college near my parents so I could live with them while there to save money.

Reactions: 1 users