How do you measure your lab coat size?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomalii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know, 32, 34, etc. Does anyone know how to measure it?

Members don't see this ad.

For males, I have heard you can go by shirt size. For females, I dont know.

I am tiny so I just checked the tiniest size in the form that my program sent.

You shoud not go by your shirt size, go by your suit size.

To find out what that is, take out your interview suit coat and look for a tag in one of your inside pockets.

If you're a woman without a suit coat (what woman doesn't have one these days?) Use the overall circumference of your bra/measure your chest circumference at its furthest around point. However, I'd recommend trying on the lab coat of someone else who is close to your size to get a feel. =)

Guys: have someone wrap a tape measure around the fullest part of your chest underneath your arms. That's your jacket size.

dress_shirt_chest_measurement.jpg

I am tiny so I just checked the tiniest size in the form that my program sent.

Yeah, my white coat would pretty much drag on the floor.:eek:

Mens' shirts are sized based on neck and sleeve measurements. Jackets are sized based on chest measurements and height (short, regular, long). They have little in common.

Womens' clothing is sized fairly strangely, to the point where you usually have to try stuff on to determine your size. Measurements are pretty much useless. Many women wear different sizes in tops and bottoms. Height also matters (e.g., petites).

Don't ask. I used to sell clothes in college.

Guys: have someone wrap a tape measure around the fullest part of your chest underneath your arms. That's your jacket size.

dress_shirt_chest_measurement.jpg

Had my sis do this, and it came out to a little over 37 in. However, one of my interview coats (which she did say looked "a little big") is 42 in. So, shoot the gap and call it 40?

You want it slightly large because once you fill up the pockets (inside and out) with the crap you want on hand each night you may find it's a bit too snug to button. You may also be one of those who puts on the intern "freshman fifteen", with all the late night eating you will be doing.

I found my coat stretched from keeping too much crap in it. I ended up swimming in coat. and I gained 17 LBS over the last "awesome" year but our cafe pretty much kicks ass. I would just get whatever size fits right now. I prefer the "fitted" look anyhow. There is a lot of variability in sizing between brands too.

I found my coat stretched from keeping too much crap in it. I ended up swimming in coat. and I gained 17 LBS over the last "awesome" year but our cafe pretty much kicks ass. I would just get whatever size fits right now. I prefer the "fitted" look anyhow. There is a lot of variability in sizing between brands too.

Meh, you don't need fitted. Most people wear it open like a cape anyhow.

To my surprise, my current hospital actually fitted us for white coats during orientation. I mean they just let us try on our different sizes of coats-nothing fancy. in my previous residency, they just ordered coats for us without any input and I swam in my coats for four year.

My current hospital also is going to fit us for scrubs. I have never heard of such a thing. Kind of a waste of time, really.