How do you get to know professors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am asking specifically for getting LOR's. I go to a really large Uni, 40k + students, and all my classes have 300+ students in them. My professors don't really know me except for when I get a nice 100% on their exam and they call out my name in the next class period.

I never go to office hours because there is literally nothing to ask. Most questions I have are solved with a quick google search. So how would I be able to get LOR's from these professors? Would getting a 100% in their class be enough for them to praise you? I've heard that after the semester you can email them and say "I enjoyed your class blah blah got a high A in it blah blah would you be willing to meet with me to discuss my future career plans etc." and then finesse a LOR from that. It makes sense in theory, you have an interview type conversation with your professor so they know what to write about, maybe give them your transcript and personal statement too so they know what kind of person/student you are. Is this a good way for getting LOR's from someone who isn't butt buddies with their professors?

Members don't see this ad.

Take smaller classes (usually upper division), sit up-front, answer questions in class, come up to them during class to ask questions. You might also look into doing research with a faculty member.

Reactions: 2 users
Take smaller classes (usually upper division), sit up-front, answer questions in class, come up to them during class to ask questions. You might also look into doing research with a faculty member.
I actually did sign up for the honors program so I could do this, however for the upper division classes I'll only have my junior year right? Since early applications are due June right after junior year, so I only have 4 semesters total and these next two semesters will be stuff like Orgo and some core Bio classes, no real upper level. I will probably get in 2-3 upper levels by the end of junior year, but I'm not sure how small they will be. There are a bunch of bio/pre med people in my school, so I'm assuming most those classes will be pretty packed too. Research is a good idea, I'll probably look into doing that. It seems interesting as well.

If my classes remain lecture format though, it will be tough to engage in class because the professors don't really pause in between their lectures much. Questions are usually only asked by people who are actually behind on the material. Not to mention I'm an introverted person so I'm not really good at kissing ass like my peers hahaha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an introverted person so I'm not really good at kissing ass like my peers
Try not to think of it as kissing ass. Think of it like "do I like and respect this person enough that I would want them to write me an LOR?" I've had bosses who were heads of departments or very high up in organizations for whom I did good work but I never would have thought of asking an LOR from them because they were borderline unscrupulous and I did not want my name attached to them whatsoever.

Go to the profs' office hours and get to know them. Come up with questions that are outside of the assigned material. Look at their research interests and strike up a conversation about that. Maybe their research bores you to tears, but there must be something interesting about it or at least in lab techniques you're not familiar with yet. You might find that they're really cool people to just go and talk to every once in a while. You might also end up getting a mentor out of these conversations. These are the soft skills you'll need to develop anyway so you might as well start now. You'll need to do this throughout med school rotations and for residency applications.

Reactions: 1 users
I am asking specifically for getting LOR's. I go to a really large Uni, 40k + students, and all my classes have 300+ students in them. My professors don't really know me except for when I get a nice 100% on their exam and they call out my name in the next class period.

I never go to office hours because there is literally nothing to ask. Most questions I have are solved with a quick google search. So how would I be able to get LOR's from these professors? Would getting a 100% in their class be enough for them to praise you? I've heard that after the semester you can email them and say "I enjoyed your class blah blah got a high A in it blah blah would you be willing to meet with me to discuss my future career plans etc." and then finesse a LOR from that. It makes sense in theory, you have an interview type conversation with your professor so they know what to write about, maybe give them your transcript and personal statement too so they know what kind of person/student you are. Is this a good way for getting LOR's from someone who isn't butt buddies with their professors?

I honestly think that one of the best ways is to find a professor that teaches multiple science course (i.e. 300 level biol course and subsequent 400 level science course). Take both semester and make yourself known to them both semesters. You dont have to go to every office hour, but at least bug them enough after class or some office hours so they can put a face to a name. Also, one of the easiest ways to get recognized is to score the highest on almost all the exams or score amongst the highest on all of the exams.

Another way to pretty much guarantee a strong LOR is getting into the research with a professor that you took a class with. Do the necessary work and show initiative to take over your own projects. They will probably be your best advocate.

I speak from personal experience.

Try not to think of it as kissing ass. Think of it like "do I like and respect this person enough that I would want them to write me an LOR?" I've had bosses who were heads of departments or very high up in organizations for whom I did good work but I never would have thought of asking an LOR from them because they were borderline unscrupulous and I did not want my name attached to them whatsoever.

Go to the profs' office hours and get to know them. Come up with questions that are outside of the assigned material. Look at their research interests and strike up a conversation about that. Maybe their research bores you to tears, but there must be something interesting about it or at least in lab techniques you're not familiar with yet. You might find that they're really cool people to just go and talk to every once in a while. You might also end up getting a mentor out of these conversations. These are the soft skills you'll need to develop anyway so you might as well start now. You'll need to do this throughout med school rotations and for residency applications.

So would you say it's OK if I go to office hours and talk about stuff that isn't specifically course content question related? I would think that the professor would get mad at me for wasting their time, but then again they might also like that I'm asking something other than the generic course questions "How do I do this?"

Could you possibly give an example of how the conversation would go? Suppose it was an upper level biology teacher, teaching genetic or something. Would I bring up some genetics topic in the news and ask about his insight, even though it's not course material related?

I honestly think that one of the best ways is to find a professor that teaches multiple science course (i.e. 300 level biol course and subsequent 400 level science course). Take both semester and make yourself known to them both semesters. You dont have to go to every office hour, but at least bug them enough after class or some office hours so they can put a face to a name. Also, one of the easiest ways to get recognized is to score the highest on almost all the exams or score amongst the highest on all of the exams.

Another way to pretty much guarantee a strong LOR is getting into the research with a professor that you took a class with. Do the necessary work and show initiative to take over your own projects. They will probably be your best advocate.

I speak from personal experience.

I'm currently in this class of 600+ (It's the main introductory bio course for the MCAT and stuff) and I was one of 2 who scored a perfect 100 on the first exam haha. I know my professor definitely knows my name because he called it out in lecture, but I've never actually gone to talk to him yet, because his office hours are normally filled with a bunch of kids since the course is so big. How should I go about talking to him personally? I know he would definitely write me a good LOR, since he's a really nice professor who obviously cares about his student's success.

Jeez man have you considered counseling for social anxiety?

Most professors weren’t exactly cheerleaders and quarterbacks, odds are they are more similar to you than not.

Since you are doing well academically, you really need to focus on getting those letters (think of what questions you might ask during break while you are sitting in lecture).

You don’t really need to know them. Get an A in the class and you could send them an email asking for one. Professors rarely know students on a deep personal level. Sure, you could get a better letter of rec but these are really just like your personal statement - it’s something that can be done in a couple hours and you just need to not have a bad one. A good letter of rec really won’t make up for any other deficiencies like GPA or MCAT. Letters a rec are a screen for bad students more than they are for showing who’s a great student.

So would you say it's OK if I go to office hours and talk about stuff that isn't specifically course content question related? I would think that the professor would get mad at me for wasting their time, but then again they might also like that I'm asking something other than the generic course questions "How do I do this?"

Could you possibly give an example of how the conversation would go? Suppose it was an upper level biology teacher, teaching genetic or something. Would I bring up some genetics topic in the news and ask about his insight, even though it's not course material related?
First, you stalk their school webpage to see what their research interests are and find something about it that genuinely interests you as well. Then go to their office. They have office hours for a reason. And you pay tuition for a reason. If he went out of his way to call out your name in class to say you were 1/2 of 600 people who got 100% on an exam (which, by the by, is a total FERPA violation, but anyway...), then I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to go to his scheduled office hours to talk about his research interests. All you have to do is knock on the door and say "hey Professor X, I'm awesome Shak Muscles who got 100% on your exam and I was wondering if you had a few minutes to talk about your XYZ research because it sounds super cool." If he says no, then that's that. If he says he doesn't have time right now to discuss things outside of class material, then ask if he has some other time available where you two can geek out together over science-y stuff.

I'm currently in this class of 600+ (It's the main introductory bio course for the MCAT and stuff) and I was one of 2 who scored a perfect 100 on the first exam haha. I know my professor definitely knows my name because he called it out in lecture, but I've never actually gone to talk to him yet, because his office hours are normally filled with a bunch of kids since the course is so big. How should I go about talking to him personally? I know he would definitely write me a good LOR, since he's a really nice professor who obviously cares about his student's success.

Just approach him after class and ask about his “policy on writing LORs for students.” If he says you’re good ask him what he needs from you for a LOR for medical school

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How does one get to know anybody? If I'm interested in a class, I ask appropriate questions in class, and stay afterwards and discuss offtopic but class related things with them. I have many professors on my facebook, and message them every so often. They're just people...

Some professors may volunteer to write a LOR if they are impressed with you but for others you may need to approach them. My son is a sophomore now. Last semester one professor emailed him that he would write a LOR whenever he needs it. He had 100% score for entire semester and had some interactions with him in the class. That class is for a minor he is considering.

Members don't see this ad :)
The straight truth is to play the game. Become to your close to your TA. Ask them for a LOR and they will write one and have the professor sign it.

Jeez man have you considered counseling for social anxiety?

Most professors weren’t exactly cheerleaders and quarterbacks, odds are they are more similar to you than not.

Since you are doing well academically, you really need to focus on getting those letters (think of what questions you might ask during break while you are sitting in lecture).
Unfortunately we don't have a "break" in lectures. Not in the classes I'm in atleast. I honestly probably do have social anxiety, I usually sit at the very back of my lecture hall.

LOR's will definitely be the most difficult part of my application.

You don’t really need to know them. Get an A in the class and you could send them an email asking for one. Professors rarely know students on a deep personal level. Sure, you could get a better letter of rec but these are really just like your personal statement - it’s something that can be done in a couple hours and you just need to not have a bad one. A good letter of rec really won’t make up for any other deficiencies like GPA or MCAT. Letters a rec are a screen for bad students more than they are for showing who’s a great student.
Alright that's encouraging. When asking for a LOR, should I also schedule an interview with them + bring my personal statement so they actually know what to write about, other than I got an A+ in their class etc. Or do you think these professors just have a template that they pull out and simply change the name and other minor details?

First, you stalk their school webpage to see what their research interests are and find something about it that genuinely interests you as well. Then go to their office. They have office hours for a reason. And you pay tuition for a reason. If he went out of his way to call out your name in class to say you were 1/2 of 600 people who got 100% on an exam (which, by the by, is a total FERPA violation, but anyway...), then I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to go to his scheduled office hours to talk about his research interests. All you have to do is knock on the door and say "hey Professor X, I'm awesome Shak Muscles who got 100% on your exam and I was wondering if you had a few minutes to talk about your XYZ research because it sounds super cool." If he says no, then that's that. If he says he doesn't have time right now to discuss things outside of class material, then ask if he has some other time available where you two can geek out together over science-y stuff.
Thanks! This actually sounds doable for me. Unfortunately though his office hours for this class are more like a classroom where a bunch of students sit, since it's a 600+ student class and everyone always has questions. It will be tough for me to get 1 on 1 personal time with him at office hours. I will definitely try this when I get into the upper level classes with under 300 students hopefully, especially since those professors are probably more into research too.

At the beginning of the semester I actually had an opportunity to do an honors project with him, but I didn't take it (this was me having my dumb moment). In hindsight I should have been more proactive.

I've heard some students go up to their professor at the beginning of the semester and pretty much say "If I get an A in this class would you be willing to write a good LOR for me?" This was the professor knows who you are and knows your lofty expectations for the class, so I would assume they would be more receptive to you.

How does one get to know anybody? If I'm interested in a class, I ask appropriate questions in class, and stay afterwards and discuss offtopic but class related things with them. I have many professors on my facebook, and message them every so often. They're just people...
Unfortunately I'm just not comfortable getting this close to professors. I know they are just regular people, but they also sort of intimidate me. Like a police officer, they're regular people too but I'm not comfortable becoming buddies with the dude who just gave me a ticket. It might be because they are both authority figures, so it makes it tougher for me personally.

Some professors may volunteer to write a LOR if they are impressed with you but for others you may need to approach them. My son is a sophomore now. Last semester one professor emailed him that he would write a LOR whenever he needs it. He had 100% score for entire semester and had some interactions with him in the class. That class is for a minor he is considering.
Wow! I wish a professor would volunteer to write a LOR for me haha! I think it's maybe because I haven't had any interactions with my professors at all. I should definitely get my butt in their office, somehow someway.

I never go to office hours because there is literally nothing to ask. Most questions I have are solved with a quick google search.

Go to office hours anyway! Go and ask more complex questions than what is necessary. This is really the only way to get them to notice. You can ask and answer questions during lecture as well.

Go to office hours anyway! Go and ask more complex questions than what is necessary. This is really the only way to get them to notice. You can ask and answer questions during lecture as well.
I think I'm gonna start doing this. Is it too late into the semester to start now? Wouldn't the professors get the vibe that I'm there for a LOR, since they probably just see a kid who aced their exams and now all of a sudden shows up to office hours halfway through the semester.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I think I'm gonna start doing this. Is it too late into the semester to start now? Wouldn't the professors get the vibe that I'm there for a LOR, since they probably just see a kid who aced their exams and now all of a sudden shows up to office hours halfway through the semester.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Yes- you’re overthinking it.

No - it’s not too late.

I’m a professor and here’s my advice. If you want to start slow, look into his research interests as curbsiteconsult says and send him an email. Say you would like to get more exposure to x class and his adjacent Y research subject. Say you didn’t start an honors project earlier in the semester but would be interested in hearing about Y and wondered if there was a way to get involved. I’d even say as a follow up that you would indicate that you’re premed and potentially would like to ask for a LOR at some point.

go to their office hours, then ask if they want to catch happy hour.

this is not spoken from personal experience.

If you're too shy to talk to your professor, how are you going to interact with patients?

I never go to office hours because there is literally nothing to ask.

I hate this premed excuse. There is always more to ask. Maybe you don't need to know it for the exam, but if you are interested in a subject, that professor will talk to you for days about something that both of you are passionate about. Every semester, I chose one class where I'd go to office hours, and get to know the professor. I'd start by talking about their class, and get them to teach me more advanced topics and applications. By the end we'd be talking about their kids and their favorite type of tea to drink.

Professors are people too. Remember that.

If you're too shy to talk to your professor, how are you going to interact with patients?
That's definitely different though. I explained it above, I'm not really shy interacting with people, just that professors are like an authority figure so I don't feel comfortable becoming buddies with them. A patient will be coming to me, not the other way around.

That's definitely different though. I explained it above, I'm not really shy interacting with people, just that professors are like an authority figure so I don't feel comfortable becoming buddies with them. A patient will be coming to me, not the other way around.

Fine, how will you interact with administrators, attending, fellows, residents, interns, and everyone else in the hierarchy above you?

There is an important point here. You don't want to be "buddies" but you do want to be able to have a professional relationship - even with an authority figure. @speedwalker is correct that you can build these skills over time.

As a medical student and then as an intern and resident, you'll have to forge working relationships with deans, professors, attendings and program directors. You'll have to ask for other reference letters and yes -- you'll be asking for what amounts to a favor from superiors. So do get comfortable with it. My advice was to start this time with an email but then work up to talking to the professor face-to-face over time. And when it's time to ask for a reference letter you'll have a professional relationship with those professors that will make it easier.

I can relate!! I used to think I didn't have questions either, but the above poster is right-- there's always things to ask questions about if you've internalized the material as well as you should. Professors are troves of info that you should graciously take advantage of!

It's stupid, but in UG, what I did was look through future lectures so I could bring up questions that we hadn't gone over yet and lead an intelligent conversation about it (it did light up my prof's eyes thinking that I had some foresight into our current material). I guess it was my way of feeling superior to my normal self & helped me face the raw power authority of a professor. (but I do not recommend doing this)

As our interactions went on, I realized that I did have genuine questions if I thought about the material more rather than just memorizing it at face-value. Our conversations eventually became casual as time went on, but they were also inspiring. He tied his life's passion for duck-hunting (lol) into a conversation about having drive in life and a vision that sets your soul on fire. It was a fantastic experience getting to know my professor and gaining mentor-ship.

Don't be shy, just go in!! (and make sure that you've gauged in class that they're a welcoming professor. I've known a lot that just wants to make their student feel stupid in office hours)

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you guys say that your relationship with your professor turns more casual after you go to their office hours for questions etc.
And how often do you have to go before it starts becoming more casual, to the point where they actually begin to know you?

Sorry if I sound too robotic in my approach, I'm just curious what the progression is supposed to look like.

I noticed @speedwalker said there will be natural progressions, but in my case I'm usually don't take the initiative in a conversation, so once my question is done being answered I will probably just end up saying thanks and walking out of the office. How do you progress the conversation to become more casual?

How would you guys say that your relationship with your professor turns more casual after you go to their office hours for questions etc.
And how often do you have to go before it starts becoming more casual, to the point where they actually begin to know you?

Sorry if I sound too robotic in my approach, I'm just curious what the progression is supposed to look like.

I noticed @speedwalker said there will be natural progressions, but in my case I'm usually don't take the initiative in a conversation, so once my question is done being answered I will probably just end up saying thanks and walking out of the office. How do you progress the conversation to become more casual?

Tbh the professors go off on a tangent on their own and you kind of just go off from there. You just have to make conversation long enough to get to that point and attend office hours every other week at least. Just ask small questions about little aspects of their answer. Everything can get more in-depth, even if it doesn't have anything to do with what's on your exam. Be curious.

Eventually, they will get comfortable offering you miscellaneous info to you because they love talking about their research and giving youngins' life advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

I actually asked something like this a little while back but I see that you are greatly overthinking this.

I would come up with a short list of questions about the material and take it to office hours. I admittedly keep conversation strictly about the subject for the most part. I would ask "how was your holiday?" or something other here or there.

Participating in class -answering questions- also impresses professors. One approached me this week to ask what career I was getting into and responded with "good, you're sharp". He didn't know my name but he recognized me and had a great impression of me because I participate in class.

So in office hours, if there is/are other students, what do you do? Do you still go, sit down etc. or just come back another time? And what do you do in these situations when there are other students, or maybe students waiting in line behind you?

So in office hours, if there is/are other students, what do you do? Do you still go, sit down etc. or just come back another time? And what do you do in these situations when there are other students, or maybe students waiting in line behind you?

Go during weeks like after an exam. It's okay to not go every other week if you balance it with other small interactions. Like an above poster said, participate and ask a question here and there in class. Walk with your professor as they're ending lecture and going to their office. Come to class early and approach them about a quick question clarifying material or exam dates etc. Little things to get them to recognize your face. When you do get a chance to have them to yourself in office hrs, they'll know you and know that you're a student who cares.

I know schools have their popular professors with students who flood their office hours. Don't choose those profs. They don't get to know their students as well most of the time and rec letters are written on templates. Choose a small class professor.

Sorry to revive this thread, but when you do ask for a LOR, what should you hand to the professor so they can get to know more about you. I've heard personal statement, CV, and cover letter.
Is the cover letter really necessary though as an undergrad student? It's pointless right?

Sorry to revive this thread, but when you do ask for a LOR, what should you hand to the professor so they can get to know more about you. I've heard personal statement, CV, and cover letter.
Is the cover letter really necessary though as an undergrad student? It's pointless right?

Hey OP,

I just sent my letter writers my AMCAS application, but not my personal statement (hadn't finished it at that point). That said, I knew all of my letter writers very well and they didn't find it necessary to request a PS. Everyone's situation is different, to be safe just attach your CV, PS, cover letter (does't have to be long) and say in the email "let me know if there's anything else you need from me" or something like that. Some professors have very specific requests when writing letters.

And to answer your original question, the trick for me was office hours. I too go to a 40k+ student body school, classes of hundreds, and I was still able to foster very close relationships with a handful of professors by visiting their office hours regularly to ask questions. If the answer to your question is easily google-able, then don't ask it. Try to ask insightful questions, be friendly, get to know the professor and help them get to know you! Just don't force it, and don't take up all the professor's attention if other students are present.

If you feel a little too introverted for that, consider doing some sort of special project in the class! This also works really well and establishes professional rapport.

**Note, not all professors are super social and want to chat with you on a personal level. To get the best letter possible you should try to get close with the ones who do! It takes some trial and error, but you can tell VERY early on who's a grump and who's cool lol