How do you get ready for Endoscopy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej6527

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
Im going to be starting my GI fellowship soon and i was wondering if there was any advice out there for learning how to do endoscopy. any certain books?videos? conferences to attend? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1:
Drink 1 gallon of golytely and keep your self NPO after midnight

Step 2:
Sneak into the endo suite of your hospital at night

Step 3:
Set up all the equipment

Step 4:
Lay down on a gourney and insert the colonscope first into your rectum look at the monitor and use the picture as a guide for various landmarks.
(high def screens are better than regular montiors)

Step 5:
OOPS!!! I forgot sedation (my bad!!)

Step 6:
OOPS!!! I forgot to tell you lube the scope (My bad again!!!)

Step 7:
Withdraw scope carefully, perform retroflexion in the rectum.

Step 8:
Place a bite block in your mouth

Step 9: Insert the same scope into your mouth, esophagus, stomach and duodenum.

Step 10: Repeat steps several times and you will become an excellent endoscopist. - Remember practice makes perfect!!.

^ Uh, okay.

Definitely do some reading on technique but realize that a lot of it won't make sense until you actually practice. Though some basic theory is important there will be no substitute for hands-on. If your program has a simulator see if you can spend some time doing that, it will get you used to working the dials, reducing loops, etc. Don't be anxious about endoscopy because nobody is great at it at first but most everyone becomes competent within a few months.