How do you find nonaccredited residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rattlergirl53

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some would never go this route but I have spoken to a few people that said they know people that have done them and learned a lot and many of the programs got accredited later on. I just want to know where to find them because obviously ASHP only list residencies that are accredited.

Members don't see this ad.

Try this link:
http://www.accp.com/resandfel/index.aspx

This database lists both accredited and non-accredited residencies - you will have to look through them to figure out which ones are unaccredited. But the best way to find unaccredited residencies in your area is by word of mouth.

My only caution with unaccredited PGY1's: you need to complete an accredited PGY1 to do an accredited PGY2. It is part of the PGY2 accredidation standards. You could complete an unaccredited PGY2 though with an unaccredited PGY1. Just something to think about if you may want to pursue a PGY2. It also doesn't count toward being able to take BCPS right after residency...(you would be eligible after the time frame for pharmacists not completing residency.)

http://www.ashp.org/menu/Residents/PGY2.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
My only caution with unaccredited PGY1's: you need to complete an accredited PGY1 to do an accredited PGY2. It is part of the PGY2 accredidation standards. You could complete an unaccredited PGY2 though with an unaccredited PGY1. Just something to think about if you may want to pursue a PGY2. It also doesn't count toward being able to take BCPS right after residency...(you would be eligible after the time frame for pharmacists not completing residency.)

http://www.ashp.org/menu/Residents/PGY2.aspx

I assume that candidate status PGY1 residencies qualify one for PGY2 residencies? I didn't see it addressed anywhere but was probably looking in the wrong place. :p

I assume that candidate status PGY1 residencies qualify one for PGY2 residencies? I didn't see it addressed anywhere but was probably looking in the wrong place. :p

That sounds right, but I haven't heard anything either way. I would think as long as the program made the application it shouldn't be an issue.

Another issue with unaccredited programs is the quality of the program. In your area, you might know whether the specific unaccredited programs provide good training. If you are applying for an unaccredited program out-of-state, you pretty much throwing a dart at the board. Also, if you plan to eventually move or find a job in a different state, it is so much more helpful to have an accredited program on your CV.

But I do want to mention that in my area, we have a couple of excellent unaccredited programs. Some of them are planning to pursue accreditation, and for some of them their structure does not permit for accreditation (50% of time in hospital and 50% of time in a business environment).

Hello,
I was offered an unpaid residency spot in a non-accredited residency program (accreditation pending). This means I loose almost a yr's remuneration. Problem is I am a foreign grad from a 5 yr institution and not eligible to take the naplex till august. I am not convinced it'd be easy to find residency programs willing to accept foreign RPhs. I am on a temporary work visa which indicates that I'd have to get an organization to file PGY2 for me before the year runs out. I am just curious as to what people think before rejecting it.

Hello,
I was offered an unpaid residency spot in a non-accredited residency program (accreditation pending). This means I loose almost a yr's remuneration. Problem is I am a foreign grad from a 5 yr institution and not eligible to take the naplex till august. I am not convinced it'd be easy to find residency programs willing to accept foreign RPhs. I am on a temporary work visa which indicates that I'd have to get an organization to file PGY2 for me before the year runs out. I am just curious as to what people think before rejecting it.

Don't do it. Just find some other paid work until August.