How do schools view retakes due to "expiration?" (retaking a 514 from 2017 to apply for class of 2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

med112

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that the "expiration" date for MCATs varies from school to school and since I'm applying for the 2021 cycle next year I have to retake for most schools that require an MCAT within 3 years of matriculation. My question is general, AMCAS will report my 2017 score as well as my new one. Will schools that are okay with an older MCAT be comparing them? Even if certain schools say that they consider the 2017 as too old, could they still potentially compare in differences in the scores?

Members don't see this ad.

So I know that the "expiration" date for MCATs varies from school to school and since I'm applying for the 2021 cycle next year I have to retake for most schools that require an MCAT within 3 years of matriculation. My question is general, AMCAS will report my 2017 score as well as my new one. Will schools that are okay with an older MCAT be comparing them? Even if certain schools say that they consider the 2017 as too old, could they still potentially compare in differences in the scores?
With all due respect, what's the difference, since you HAVE to retake in order to apply???

Yes, all scores will be reported, so old scores will obviously be seen, and, of course, a drop will not be viewed as positive, especially not by schools that will accept the older score. Your only choices are to not retake and only apply to schools that will accept the 2017 score, or retake and live with the results.

An insignificant drop will not affect you one way or the other, whereas a big drop will be really bad, so don't let it happen, since you've already proven once that you can do this!!!

What you seem to be asking is whether a school will excuse a bad 2020 score because you have a good, expired 2017 score. I think the answer to that is a resounding no. The whole reason scores expire is because the older they are, the less representative they are of your current level of ability. A significant drop would only validate that theory.

On the other hand, an increase will only help you, and I doubt anyone will take points away from you because your expired score was lower.

Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately, schools will see your all of your scores and it’s up to individual reviewer how they interpret them. If you already have a good score then best bet is apply to schools still accepting it by the time you apply. If you decide to retake, make sure you prepare yourself well and only do a retake if you do well on the practice tests. Ideally, you’d want to score higher than your previous scores (schools expect an improvement). A 1-2 pt drop might not hurt you if it’s still relatively high. What is your current score?

Reactions: 1 user
On the score page for the MCAT it gives a confidence band so if you score lower but within that range you’re still within the same range of your first score and it’s a non issue

With all due respect, what's the difference, since you HAVE to retake in order to apply???

Yes, all scores will be reported, so old scores will obviously be seen, and, of course, a drop will not be viewed as positive, especially not by schools that will accept the older score. Your only choices are to not retake and only apply to schools that will accept the 2017 score, or retake and live with the results.

An insignificant drop will not affect you one way or the other, whereas a big drop will be really bad, so don't let it happen, since you've already proven once that you can do this!!!

What you seem to be asking is whether a school will excuse a bad 2020 score because you have a good, expired 2017 score. I think the answer to that is a resounding no. The whole reason scores expire is because the older they are, the less representative they are of your current level of ability. A significant drop would only validate that theory.

On the other hand, an increase will only help you, and I doubt anyone will take points away from you because your expired score was lower.
True, there really is no difference since i have to retake. I was more curious about the thought process of adcoms, but you're right, definitely avoiding a drop! thanks for this insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.