How do residency directors look at pubs in other fields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Title sums it up. Let’s say you had a few pubs in other fields because you were exploring during your first year. Then you find the field you want and then you did a couple of pubs in that field. Will residency directors still like the pubs you got before in other fields?

Members don't see this ad.

Title sums it up. Let’s say you had a few pubs in other fields because you were exploring during your first year. Then you find the field you want and then you did a couple of pubs in that field. Will residency directors still like the pubs you got before in other fields?
Your application is a story. Dates matter. PDs will read it and try to understand you. If they feel you're flirting between fields, the lesser competitive field may take note, but will still probably take interest in you ultimately. Look at this match year as an example. 30% of the my incoming class in a primary care field looks like wanted to do a surgical subspecialty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
They will “like” them because getting pubs is overall a positive thing and shows your research chops. Your overall application story is also important, and depending on the field dedication is highly valued. Your particular scenario is very common and easily explained.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pubs are always good. Like was mentioned above, applicants often have certain interests that change. Programs are always interested in hearing why their speciality appealed to you and lured you away from a different specialty (don't bash the other specialty though).

Your situation is very common.

Pubs are almost always good. With that said, there are certain fields that look primarily for pubs in their own field, and outside of field pubs hold relatively little weight.

What if you get a health-related book published? Does that count or does that become a hobby?

The advice I would give someone in medical school is to choose the academic opportunity that will be most productive for you. Ideally, yes, you would be very productive in the field you want to go into; however, many schools/programs do not necessarily have people in that field doing a lot of research. Trying to force a project in your chosen field with someone who doesn't do - or isn't committed to - research, will be a very frustrating process.

It's no secret that programs want people who are going to be productive doing research because they want grunts to come "assist" them with their research. So, what you are ultimately trying to demonstrate is that you know how to be productive with research; that you can write a manuscript, work through an IRB, either do stats on your own or work with a statistician independently, etc. They don't want someone that they are going to have to hand hold. In my mind it matters much less what this specific research was in, and more that you were productive doing it.

Disclaimer: This holds true for most fields, but there may be some I am unaware of that do not care much for pubs outside of their chosen specialty.

Favored. It shows that you can do research and produce outcomes (i.e. publications). It's not easy for some applicants to find research in the field due to uncontrollable factors (ie. lack of home program).